Details of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTube

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 Arbroath in the news
 ARBROATH on TV in USA  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
27 Jun 2019
Posted - 21 Jul 2007 :  02:08:49 AM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
Was watching 'The Open' on TV here in Florida today, it's on all day here on TNT channel, and Carnoustie and the course was looking great...the sun shining made a big difference too, and then I was surprised to see some beautiful shots of Arbroath, lots of views of the Abbey etc., and I at first had the feeling 'That looks lovely, I'd like to go there sometime' before it dawned on me it was my auld hame toon! Made me quite homesick...hubby is over there as he's golfing daft. Hope the sunshine continues!
Jim-m
Senior Smokie

United Kingdom
481 Posts
Last here:
08 Jul 2012
Posted - 21 Jul 2007 :  09:05:18 AM Show Profile Visit Jim-m's HomepageSend Jim-m a Private Message Reply with Quote
The place does look great on TV! There is quite a buzz about the place too. I'm taking my girlfriend to the Open tomorrow and we are both looking forward to it.
Smokie1756
Senior Smokie

Smokie1756

Scotland
535 Posts
Last here:
31 May 2015
Posted - 21 Jul 2007 :  10:43:08 PM Show Profile Visit Smokie1756's HomepageSend Smokie1756 a Private Message Reply with Quote
Did they show The Seaforth??? If they did then the campaign has now gone MEGA international!!!!!!

Smokie1756
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
27 Jun 2019
Posted - 22 Jul 2007 :  12:08:55 AM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
No shots of the rubble, they just showed the 'bonny bits' thank goodness! Carnoustie looked like Brigadoon, they did a great job for tourism I think
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
27 Jun 2019
Posted - 22 Jul 2007 :  12:52:18 AM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
This is great. I just heard a sports commentator saying, "Something fishy going on at the Open" and I looked up to see Smokies being smoked over a barrel...I could almost smell them they looked so good! Wish he'd mentioned Arbroath, though. Every Brit I meet over here, when I tell them I'm from Arbroath, they always mention "Arbroath Smokies"
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Sandstone is a forum sponsor!
Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
20 Jun 2019
Posted - 23 Jul 2007 :  6:11:59 PM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Saturday morning here in Canada, watching the open. Ian Spink's tent, smokie barrel and staff were front and center for a good few minutes!

Sandstone party See you on "TheShoppie"
smithy
Haggis Supper (with extra sauce)

Canada
158 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 04 Aug 2007 :  9:51:45 PM Show Profile Visit smithy's HomepageSend smithy a Private Message Reply with Quote
We watched it on telly in Vancouver,I believe you were there Mr.T. Free? I wanted to get on the next flight over. My memories are always at the beach playing at the end of West Newgate.
mrT
Haggis Supper (with extra sauce)

mrT

Arbroath, Scotland
105 Posts
Last here:
20 Aug 2010
Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  04:26:58 AM Show Profile Visit mrT's HomepageSend mrT a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yes Smithy I was there all week marshalling on the 3rd hole - great to see all the best golfers
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 09 Jul 2018 :  12:53:48 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
11 years on from that last post, and the Open returns to Carnoustie in a week or so. Despite the upheaval, there is a buzz about the town, and the course looks stunning! Hopefully the telly crews will take in surrounding areas and ,aubergine Arbroath will feature again, to the delight of all those Lichties living near and far.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 09 Jul 2018 :  12:55:17 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Slippy digit time - dinna ken where that aubergine came from!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
377 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  12:10:20 PM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
What a difference a day makes. Fantastic weather yesterday. I was surprised to the the course so burnt-out. I was fair struggling to see the ball from the overhead camera shots against the very pale fairway. No such problem today - instead it's hard to see the ball for the rain! Much more "par for the course" you could say. Haven't seen anyone I know . . . yet.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  3:39:14 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
My hubby is working there, but on night shift at the new golf centre. The town is certainly buzzing just now. Never seen traffic like it! A right shot in the arm for the area!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
377 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  09:56:10 AM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Just witnessed a very short gastronomic tour on Sky Sports featuring McLaren's ForFAR bridies, Stewart’s Smokies (originally from OAKmithie), and some uncredited Fish’n’Chips. They don't have the finesse of the BBC.
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  3:05:26 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Watching The Open on NBC here in California, caught a brief smokie making demo filmed below the Coast Guard Cottages at OAKMithie at wits end

I keep looking among the spectators for a familiar face, maybe even our dear friend Wilma Reud holding a sign up with our names.
Is it Wilma Reud or Reud Wilma? big grin

A New Years Resolution; something that goes in one year and out the other.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  8:43:07 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Sorry, but Wilma hasna been doon at the Coorse this week! I’m no’ as flush as pairt wi’ £80 aff my pension for a ticket! I’ll be having a walk over the course next week when a’body’s awa’ hame! It will be a grandstand finish though, as there are about 4 tying for the lead. Hubby will be working there tomorrow, so i’ll Hear aboot it from him. I am however, going over to watch the senior Open at St Andrews next weekend. It’s no’ so expensive, and I’ll recognise some of the players there!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
377 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 22 Jul 2018 :  09:24:42 AM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
I wonder Wilma if that will be Sandy Lyle's first "senior" gig?

I watched Carnoustie ALL DAY yesterday – what a disgrace. It’s not that I don’t have loads to do, and it’s not as if there was anything wrong with the weather. AND it’s not as if I’m a particular golf fan, but you get drawn in. Even cancelled tea-time to keep watching.

Don’t know what we’ll do today as there is a major conflict. The Tour de France passes just 1.1 miles from here – 20 mins walk – as it wheeks round a roundabout heading into Carcassonne from Millau. This will be at exactly 17.53 here time (16:53 UK). But it's all a bit of a hassle - you can see the fanaticism on TV. And a couple of years back it only took 11 seconds for all the riders to pass (I have the video evidence) - hardly worth the effort. I think I’d rather watch the golf and record the appropriate time slot of the TdF on ITV4 – more for the views and helicopter shots of our patch, than for any sporting appreciation. The Race enters our patch by crossing the Pic de Nore at 17.09 (16.09 UK). But we’ll see.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 22 Jul 2018 :  10:21:03 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
It’s going to be a cracking finish today at the golf, so Norman says! Any one of a dozen players can lift the Claret jug! But, if I lived where you do, I’d be watching the bikers whizz past! A few years ago, we were in Cadiz as a stop off during a cruise, and a cycle race was on. It was in August, so don’t know which race it was. We managed to squeeze into a space in the crowds and await the cyclists, who as you say, wheech’ past at amazing speeds ( made me think of myself trauchlin’ up the Easthaven Brae hurlin’ my trusty steed!). Whatever you do today, hope you enjoy it. I look forward to my favourite sport this week - rounding up grandchildren!
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 22 Jul 2018 :  7:18:34 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
I’m the same Peter, not a huge golf fan but glued to the screen, eking out every bit of nostalgia I could gather. I was scanning the spectators for familiar faces, but come to realized that everyone I know is auld now and I widnae kin them even if I saw them. Then Wilma told us the entrance fee was £80, AH the penny dropped, that is why I dinae see onybody I kin!
I did see a seagull and I’m certain it was from Arbroath.

I have also been watching what little bit of The Tour they broadcasting over here, and that leads me to a question for you all, when your watching bike races do you find yourselves involuntarily pedaling while your watching the sprints? Or is that just me??

flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 22 Jul 2018 :  7:28:00 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Never pedal, Brian, but do kick and head the ball when watching the fitba’!
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 23 Jul 2018 :  5:52:15 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Or as Ronnie Roberts used to say all day long to Fraser's Apprentices, “HEED THE BA!"

BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
377 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 23 Jul 2018 :  9:50:55 PM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Although much looking forward to it, I thought I would ration my golf to the last three hours. But life intervened. In the event the final pairing was at the 16th before I sat down. However, at the very moment Molinara sank his winning birdie putt, I was injecting the cat – I could hear the roar from the lounge. Ho-hum!

I did see the Tour de France passing, but on the TV. There certainly were some crowds, at points. But I was surprised to see how few people there were at certain vantage points that we could have walked to. Although I knew exactly where they went in Carcassonne itself, I could not recognise anywhere because of the volume of people. I did go out, just before 1 p.m. to get the daily bread, travelling along “the route”. Every parking opportunity was already packed with crowds already in place although 5 hours until the race. While I was in the bakers the police closed the road off. I had to ask the gendarme nicely to move the barrier so I could get out!
Page: of 2Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.52 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *