Famous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about Arbroath

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 History & Information
 Arbroath History, People and Places
 INVERBROTHOCK PRIMARY SCHOOL - 1950  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
Vivian
RIP 1945-2008

Arbroath, Scotland
84 Posts
Last here:
06 Sep 2008
Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  9:43:57 PM Show Profile Visit Vivian's Homepage Reply with Quote
confused daydreaming

Have been trying to remember the names of the teachers at Inverbrothock - the original school at the top of St. Vigeans Road -. and I am not doing very well. I am particularly trying to remember the teachers who were there while I was there 1950 - 1962. I was in the A's (summer intake) The 'B's were the winter intake. Can anyone help?

To date I am remembering 6 of the 7 that I had;

Miss Macdonald - there were two of them - one took the A's and the sister took the B's
Miss Rattray
Mrs. Dow
Mr.Mitchell - had his belt out every Friday
Mr. Robertson - took the class swimming to the Baths in Marketgate - think it was Mondays
Siging teachers were firstly Miss Libo then Mr. Dilly
Vivian
RIP 1945-2008

Arbroath, Scotland
84 Posts
Last here:
06 Sep 2008
Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  9:50:07 PM Show Profile Visit Vivian's Homepage Reply with Quote
smile
Reading back what I have just written I realize my memory is better than I thought but would still appreciate help from anyone who remembers the name of my missing teacher.

kiss
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
588 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  12:22:15 AM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
Vivian, Wasn't there a Mrs Kitto, she was ( to me ) an older woman, she had grey hair and I'm pretty sure it was at Inverbrothock I had her as a teacher.
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
588 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  12:25:01 AM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
I remember too Miss Keith was a teacher at Inverbrothock when I was a pupil, before she moved on.
Vivian
RIP 1945-2008

Arbroath, Scotland
84 Posts
Last here:
06 Sep 2008
Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  8:28:45 PM Show Profile Visit Vivian's Homepage Reply with Quote
surprise

Was talking to a friend today who also went to Inverbrothock - she was a pupil from 1948 - 1960. She rememberes that Miss kEITH and Mr. Mitchell went together for lunch once a week - ? Skeletons in the Cupboard!!!!!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1270 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 09 Aug 2008 :  4:40:38 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Vivian - teachers I had at Inverbrothock when I was there from 1955 to 1962 were: Mrs Lowe (primary 1, married to Doug Lowe of Herald family), Miss McDonald (primary 2, tall and thin, elder of the two)mMrs Kitto (primary 3)Mrs Mudie (primary 4, from Carnoustie) Miss McDonald (primary 5, sister of primary 2 teacher) Miss Jamieson (primary 6, later became Mrs Edwards and died only last year, I think), and last but not least Miss Keith, primary 7, she of the venomous comment, and pointy finger, and feared by all of us. Many a Dale boy wilted under her ruler !! My brother, who started the year after me, had the following teachers: Mrs Cunningham (primary 1) Miss Rattray (primary 2) Mrs Allan (primary 3, very tall lady with pure white hair, tied back in a bun) Mrs Dow (primary 4) Mrs Stewart (primary 5, and in the Herald this week) Mr McDonald (primary 6) and Mr Mitchell (primary 7). There were another 2 male teachers during our time there, Mr Tulloch and Mr Dinnie, though I was never in either of their classes. Mrs Wilson was a visiting teacher who gave us drawing, and Mrs Powrie, and Miss Hood were the music teachers. I can vaguely remember a PE teacher called Miss Cushnie. I had happy years at Inverbrothock, loved the academic side, but hated the knitting and sewing!!
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Sandstone is a forum sponsor!
Canada
929 Posts
Last here:
5 days ago
Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  8:50:47 PM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Flintstone,

Mr. Dinnie retired as headmaster of Letham school and still lives in the schoolhouse there. Miss Cushnie was a very good golfer and played many years at Elliot. Mrs. Lowe, who was a wonderful person and very fond of children died a few years back in Helensburugh, suffering from Altzheimers.

Sandstone party See you on "TheShoppie"
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1270 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  9:55:32 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Also remembered from my time at Inverbrothock - Headmaster Mr Joss, then Mr Robertson. Janitor was Mr Hayward, (died suddenly)then Mr Lownie. Clerkess Jean Smyth. One of the student teachers was Margaret Thompson, who went on to become headmistress at either Timmergreens or Muirfield (correct me if I've got the location wrong). Greig's was the school shoppie on one side of St Vigeans Road,(before Holmes') but I cant remember the name of the one up near the school, on the same side of the road as the school.
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2012 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.41 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *