All about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractions
Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 Arbroath in the news
 New Primary School  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2611 Posts
Last here:
11 Oct 2014
Posted - 05 Jul 2010 :  2:19:35 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
What are peoples thoughts on the proposed new single primary school that is to replace those of Timmergreens and Muirfield.
I think it will be nuilt on the edge of the town on famr land at the back of hospitalfield?

Herald Article 1
Herald Article 2
Herald Article 3

I would prefer it if the schools were rebuilt anew where they currently are. In Timmergreens case it shouldn't be a problem as the current site is massive. Pupils could be dispersed among the existing schools in town while demolition and rebuilding ocurr.

I just don't want to see the site on which Timmergreens and Muirfield stand turned into high concentration housing, which in turn make greater demands upon local primary schools.
amy
Wee Haggis

Scotland
28 Posts
Last here:
20 Oct 2011
Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  12:50:03 PM Show Profile Visit amy's HomepageSend amy a Private Message Reply with Quote
I don't think theres any real need to create a new school at a new location. Why not just upgrade the existing buildings and work with what we've already got or use the existing site(s) to rebuild

La femmina delle specie pi letale del maschio
Timeshift
Wee Smokie

Timeshift

Arbroath, Scotland
240 Posts
Last here:
16 Apr 2014
Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  3:45:49 PM Show Profile Visit Timeshift's HomepageSend Timeshift a Private Message Reply with Quote
Totally agree with Derek and Amy, why do we need to spend money we can ill afford on new build, better to spend it in on the buildings we already have and invest any other monies in more erstwhile projects, and I don't mean 10 million on a swimming pool either,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if the authorities are challenged for ideas I'm sure there are a few people on the Shoppie that could keep them right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bob

"Im going off to find myself. If Im not back by the time I return, keep me here."
Smokie1756
Senior Smokie

Smokie1756

Scotland
535 Posts
Last here:
28 Sep 2014
Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  8:41:08 PM Show Profile Visit Smokie1756's HomepageSend Smokie1756 a Private Message Reply with Quote
What a waste of money. It could be used to upgrade facilities at Maternity Unit and Hospital.

Smokie1756
GaryT
Master Smokie

GaryT

United Kingdom
1001 Posts
Last here:
10 Dec 2010
Posted - 10 Jul 2010 :  2:35:56 PM Show Profile Visit GaryT's HomepageSend GaryT a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smokie1756

What a waste of money. It could be used to upgrade facilities at Maternity Unit and Hospital.

I admire your thinking.

Wrong budget though winking

GT
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2611 Posts
Last here:
11 Oct 2014
Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  4:55:18 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well folks looks like it's going ahead regardless, to be built in the grounds of Hospitalfield estate.
The council members are doing their usual, arguing..... party

Courier Article

Derek.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2255 Posts
Last here:
12 Oct 2014
Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  5:56:20 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
If the existing School and "grounds" are to be "closed" on completion... Wonder how much the land is worth for "resale" as prime residential build...
On the original "build" of the area (on what I assume was "greenbelt") the school land would have been purchased from the landowner at considerably less a price than that which had been paid for where the surrounding housing was built. Possibly classed as a "brown belt price"..
If current pricing for building land in this area is now, say 1/2 million pounds per acre, then a sixteen acre site would realise 8 million ponds.. Wonder if Council hopes to sell land?
Especially when the last "Herald" report indicated one person/computer had issued support for the new build 634 times.. I make the assumption that such support would indicate that whoever made these "representations" had an ulterior motive for such a "build" going ahead leaving the land for sale.
I can see no indication, by Angus Council, that the possible sale of the land, and for how much, has been discussed.. This does not mean that this has not been discussed, or, that this would have had any bearing on the Council decision to build a new school.. Only time shall tell!
I can say that many projects in my area have been "built" for considerably less than the "sale price" of the land associated with the proposed project (Private and Public)..
Land is very precious... because they 'aint making anymore of it!!!

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
baz
Wee Muff Haggis Supper

baz

Scotland
219 Posts
Last here:
15 Sep 2014
Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  8:05:43 PM Show Profile Visit baz's HomepageSend baz a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Terrymac
a sixteen acre site would realise 8 million ponds.

....and I'll bet we don't get boats on any of them rolling on the floor

There are three types of people in this world. Those that can count and those that can`t.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2255 Posts
Last here:
12 Oct 2014
Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  10:03:56 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Angus Council have agreed to buy the land for the new school from the Hospitalfield Trust for 800,000.00.... Angus Council had already decided who the "preffered" Contractor would be for building "affordable housing" in Angus...
Am I right in saying that it is virtually all but a "signed and sealed deal" that this preferred contractor shall develop the old school sites as "affordable housing"...

If it goes with previous Angus Council decisions this would give Contractor red light to build 90% for sale and 10% to let at an "affordable" rent (via an housing association?)... Interpretation of "affordable" appears to be rent at 80% of private rent prices...
Currently it is assessed that a brand new three bedroom town house should rent at 550.00 to 650.00 per calendar month... "affordable" means this could be as high as 520.00 per calendar month... (120.00 per week) or 101.50 p.w. at cheapest!!!!

Positive side is Arbroath gets a good school and new houses!!!

Terrymac
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2611 Posts
Last here:
11 Oct 2014
Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  11:29:21 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
New houses aren't a problem getting a hold of in the town, there's going to be a further few hundred built beside the meadowbank too.
I have a low opinion of most new builds I'm afraid Terry, minimum ergonomics, next to no garden, put up in a hurry with little attention to craftsmanship (not that staple guns need much skill) and overpriced.
I do hope the school is what is needed and not another repetition of the folly of the 1960's which we'll still be paying for til I'm a very old man, or deid!

I hate to sound so negative, it is jobs for people, but I have too many first hand horror stories by of todays new buildings. Be it "rabbit hutch" homes or steel and glass monstrosities that have been going up everywhere.

Derek.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2255 Posts
Last here:
12 Oct 2014
Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  10:39:26 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
According to an Independant survey, reported in the Arbroath Herald, a massive 85% are against a new "super" school and would rather that existing schools be upgraded...
The last time I looked, the Arbroath Herald poll was 100% against the new "super" school....
I wonder why Angus Council has not taken any notice of the majority of the residents wishes in arriving at their decision...at wits end

Is it possible for them to re-consider their proposals due to such opposition, and also, especially in light of the "post decision" resident survey having been biased by one single person "voting" many times in favour of a new school...

Terrymac
Planter
Master Smokie

Planter

USA
1263 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  01:42:08 AM Show Profile Visit Planter's HomepageSend Planter a Private Message Reply with Quote
Now come on Terry! Nanny know's best....

Planter

For, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2255 Posts
Last here:
12 Oct 2014
Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  7:09:58 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Funnily I agree Graeme.... but only if it was Nanny Macfee...

Hope local campaigners don't give up and press for a review especially with the post decision "public consultation"" being an absolute failure and Angus Council accepting the patently flawed reports from the "public consultation" saying "a majority were in favour of a "new" school".

Maybe the truth is that, in this economic climate, Angus council can't afford to improve existing teaching facilities/schools and have worked out that by spending on a "new" school they can close down two "old" schools and recoup nearly full cost of new build by selling land for residential housing.

Another "pie in the sky" thought.... shall Angus Council come clean about their decision and tell Angus residents if they are going to sell the existing school grounds and, if so, what do they envisage they shall get for it..????

Maybe I am totally wrong and they are going to use old school site/grounds for community sports grounds....rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Terrymac
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Sandstone is a forum sponsor!
Canada
929 Posts
Last here:
5 days ago
Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  5:14:06 PM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
A new school with a maternity unit might be just the job. Deliver the kid, have it educated, then send it off to work.

Sandstone party See you on "TheShoppie"
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2255 Posts
Last here:
12 Oct 2014
Posted - 26 May 2011 :  8:42:25 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well the parents have had a "Public Meeting" with the Angus Council where all but four people at the meeting thought that the proposed "new school" should not go ahead....
The new South of Angus MSP was there "to listen" but did address the meeting and "asked" that Angus Council go away and seriously consider all that was said AND come up with a new proposal to satisfy parents..

My answer to all parents (who shall be living in the cachement area when their children require schooling) insist on their rights to send their child to a school of choice... If parents indicate that they shall not send their children to the proposed "new school" surely the possibility of an "empty" school would make The council seriously consider the wishes of parents!!

Or, are The Council right and the Parents wrong and a New School shall give better education facilities!!!

Terrymac
ScottishRose
Wee Smokie

ScottishRose

Scotland
291 Posts
Last here:
05 Oct 2014
Posted - 27 May 2011 :  07:37:14 AM Show Profile Visit ScottishRose's HomepageSend ScottishRose a Private Message Reply with Quote
Just to let all Facebookers know, there's a parents group been set up for rallying support and organising petitions and banners. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Muirfield-Action-Group/130156110392065

Laura xx
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2255 Posts
Last here:
12 Oct 2014
Posted - 27 May 2011 :  12:04:05 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Councillor Peter Nields has been reported (by the Muirfield Action Group) as saying that only about 10% of the Muirfield parents are opposed to the new school build and he must consider the 90% "silent majority" that support or accept the new school build.... I know I don't live in the immediate area but do have friends/relatives in the area.... From my meagre information there is a massive majority opposed to this "new build"...... Where does Cllr. Nields live not to know this.. What information has he got to substantiate his claim?
The "Herald poll" showed a massive percentage against build.. all other polls (ones not blatantly compromised) show massive majority opposed to "new build". So he ignores this claiming that the "silent majority" wishes must be considered and he shall vote accordingly ... If they are "silent" I wonder if Cllr. Nields shall tell us how he assessed the majority's views...

Terrymac
baz
Wee Muff Haggis Supper

baz

Scotland
219 Posts
Last here:
15 Sep 2014
Posted - 27 May 2011 :  12:32:46 PM Show Profile Visit baz's HomepageSend baz a Private Message Reply with Quote
Councillor Neild has said "I will listen to the silent majority"

How exactly do you do this.....

There are three types of people in this world. Those that can count and those that can`t.
boristhespie
Master Smokie

boristhespie

Arbroath, Scotland
1042 Posts
Last here:
22 Nov 2013
Posted - 27 May 2011 :  2:00:31 PM Show Profile Visit boristhespie's HomepageSend boristhespie a Private Message Reply with Quote
I thought when we got rid of the incumbent councilors who were complacent, arrogant and took their positions for granted that we would get a council who would reflect Arbroath's views and who would work hard for the town.

Yet this lot....Well this council really has been the pits.

Booooooo!
baz
Wee Muff Haggis Supper

baz

Scotland
219 Posts
Last here:
15 Sep 2014
Posted - 27 May 2011 :  2:06:21 PM Show Profile Visit baz's HomepageSend baz a Private Message Reply with Quote
On behalf of Boristhespie, I would like to apologise to all pits out there.

Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2255 Posts
Last here:
12 Oct 2014
Posted - 27 May 2011 :  3:37:25 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
So sad to hear that Cllr. Nields has stated publicly he is going to vote at the council meeting arranged to rubber stamp the "new school" build project... after deciding only 10% of parents were against the aforementioned project...
I do hope that Muirfield Action Group manage to prove that there is a massive majority of Muirfield/Timmergreens parents actually against the project and all Councillors are made aware of the said parents feelings before the "vote"..

I believe Cllr. Nields analysis to be soooo wrong.... According to government analysis of "meeting" attendances in an area, it is generally accepted that three to seven times the actual number of people people objecting to a proposal would reflect the feeling in that area. So there is a strong possibility that 700+ parents already object to the Councils proposals. (or maybe just 300+) So that analysis predicts a minimum of 40% and a maximum of 90+% parents against the proposed "new school build". Assumes my assessed figures are correct.

Terrymac
Page: of 6Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2012 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.97 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *