Famous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about Arbroath

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 Arbroath in the news
 New Primary School  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2202 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 13 Jul 2011 :  08:02:45 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
FOR :- Works in America outwith large cities!! Although generally because populace is spread over a larger area. They have the best "school transport" system as well.. Kids get dropped off/walk to designated pickup points hey presto off to school safely.
AGAINST :- Angus Council could not raise capital to afford to do it though, and yearly transport running costs would be a problem.

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
BigLichtie
Wee Haggis

6 Posts
Last here:
05 Dec 2011
Posted - 13 Jul 2011 :  08:10:08 AM Show Profile Visit BigLichtie's HomepageSend BigLichtie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Philip, clearly you don't have young kids or clearly you are at the wind-up here.

Every available study going suggests that smaller class sizes provide better education. It's natural. If you have more pupil-teacher contact then you are going to learn more. Big 'super schools' turn kids into numbers, not people and its simply not feasible to have three primary schools in the town.

In the East, for instance there are INCREASED roll numbers. They need MORE capacity at Hayshead so the kind of 'super school you refer to would be circa 900 to cope with demand. That would be the biggest capacity primary school in BRITAIN. 500 is already too many for me to think about and ScottishRose is spot on. Arbirlot is an excellent school because it is small and welcoming. If circumstances prevail, my kids may well end up there.

In terms of the West, this new school should be a total non-starter. It's been proven that the Westway is NOT an appropriate road for a kid to cross. It has been proven by Angus Council's own Roads department that the current location is extremely dangerous for pedestrians, cyclists, drivers etc. For Muirfield and Timmergreens to merge the only option is for children to cross THAT road and I'm sorry a bus service isn't going to change things. Children should have the independence to walk to school and they can learn about road safety by crossing quiet roads with lollipop people. You learn to swim in shallow water and progress, you shouldn't have to dodge traffic and emerge as an expert as a young age because of it.

Sorry but my idea of what is good for kids and yours is poles apart.
philip
Senior Smokie

philip

Arbroath, Scotland
613 Posts
Last here:
12 Oct 2012
Posted - 14 Jul 2011 :  02:04:37 AM Show Profile Visit philip's HomepageSend philip a Private Message Reply with Quote
Ok here goes let me try if i can and defend my idea as well as respond to the fair comments in reply to my original statement.

First of all my kids are 15 and 13 so it was not that long ago they were primary school pupils(im not a dinosaur yet lol).As for the idea of a new school at westway site that is complete and utter madness and was a decision taken by people completely and totally devoid of any common sense or respect for the safety of our children.Go to any primary school these days at 9.00am and you come across what can only be described as a stock car rally lol but with 4x4s so as for my school bus idea and the cost implications mentioned if every parent that required this service put in the fraction of the amount it costs to run those guzzlers on the school run everyday it would more than cover it and be more environmentally savy.As for the children crossing the QUIET roads with lollipop lady(what quiet roads if they were quiet you wouldnt need the lollipop lady).My personal observations are that when the speedin motorist get closer to a lollipop lady they speed up so she does'nt get a chance to step out saving them a whole few seconds(idiots)thats why i get a wave everytime i stop to let her go(which is what your supposed to do).As for class sizes in the schools im not a 100% sure of these but to my recollection the aim was for 25 per class max(correct me at will)well in designing a new school you would divide the number of potential intake by the class size guidelines and develope the school accordingly.I might not have explained myself clearly as to the previous identity of the former schools as i did'nt mean to simply give them house names as in sports days i meant to annex the the two schools into 4 and 3 sections respectively keeping their individual indentity but within the one complex,my main argument is based around economics as well as state of the art facilities.
Now to the point about Arbirlot primary school.Let me start by saying that rural schools are vital and where possible every effort should be made to maintain these and if you feel your child would be better off attending these schools and proving you have the means to transport your child to from there everyday then great as im sure this helps the pupil numbers and keeps the bureaucrats from questioning there existence.And im also glad that it helped your daughter in this instance scottish rose as with shyness if not tackled would probably have escalated into bullying in later life so thats great thats she is comning on leaps and bounds but you must also realise that they cannot develope schools around individuals as the complications would be insurmountable so to have the option of rural is good.

The subject of class sizes is a complex one.Take Muirfield primary as an example when a certain year does not not have as much pupils to make two seperate classes they make one big one and develope a composite class with the year above or below to eradicate the need for employing another teacher so its all to do with budgets we will never win because on the one hand a composite class is not great for pupil developement because the teacher is having to divide her time between two different curricula and on the other hand the larger classes have the problem of the teacher not being able to give enough time to individuals due to shear numbers.But the authorities would not allow a school to employ a teacher to teach 15 pupils its all down to budgets and cost cutting.The head of Muirfield would have liked to employ extra support staff this year but the fact is because her intake actually fell this coming year the authorities did not allow this CATCH22.

So there you go if you have not fallen asleep by this point please feel free to fire away againrolling on the floor
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2202 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 18 Jul 2011 :  1:01:10 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
This is a scathing attack on Angus Council/Myles/Alliance by a Paper. Read and be amazed!!!!
http://forargyll.com/2011/07/miles-more-on-myles-angus-council-foi-and-arbroath-schools-review/

Terrymac
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2202 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  6:25:00 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Next week shall see the Scottish Education Ministers Departments decision on the "New Build"... forargyll.com (an argyll newsheet) have been very vocal in condemning Angus Council.. If anyone wants more information the can go to Muirfield Action Group on Facebook...
One article condemns the 1000+ votes "for" the "new build" from one computer.. There is a thought that maybe this is not a criminal act and nothing can be done..
I think that it really depends on who the phantom on-line culprit is... For example if the on-line culprit is named and he is associated in anyway at all that would allow him or his associates to make financial or personal gain then I believe a conspiracy crime has been committed. You do not need to commit an actual crime, just discussing/planning ways to do it can lead to a charge of "criminal conspiracy".

Terrymac
Planter
Master Smokie

Planter

USA
1262 Posts
Last here:
12 Apr 2014
Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  8:55:03 PM Show Profile Visit Planter's HomepageSend Planter a Private Message Reply with Quote
Was the computer in a library? big grin

Planter

For, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2202 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  12:17:36 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Not as far as I know Graeme... forargyll.com reported something about a "traced" IP address being in Kazihgstan (or something like that)... somebody with good computer "know how" managed to route there on-line answers... they also claimed some of the "online comments" were from within Angus Council computer network.. Anyway they (argyll) indicate the trail can be traced back to original computer eventually..

Wish it HAD been a library.... as the amount of "on-line" comments left supporting the project (plus congratulating the councillors involved as well) would have made it quite easy to catch the cuprit with his recorded library access times!!
Who ever did it wanted his tracks to be well covered..... Not very nice!!!

Terrymac
ScottishRose
Wee Smokie

ScottishRose

Scotland
291 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  3:21:06 PM Show Profile Visit ScottishRose's HomepageSend ScottishRose a Private Message Reply with Quote
Looks like the Gov aren't happy either! party

Laura xx
ScottishRose
Wee Smokie

ScottishRose

Scotland
291 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  4:06:24 PM Show Profile Visit ScottishRose's HomepageSend ScottishRose a Private Message Reply with Quote
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/91982/0119907.pdf

Laura xx
boristhespie
Master Smokie

boristhespie

Arbroath, Scotland
1042 Posts
Last here:
22 Nov 2013
Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  11:25:15 PM Show Profile Visit boristhespie's HomepageSend boristhespie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Interesting hijack of the Angus Council poll.

Booooooo!
boristhespie
Master Smokie

boristhespie

Arbroath, Scotland
1042 Posts
Last here:
22 Nov 2013
Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  08:02:56 AM Show Profile Visit boristhespie's HomepageSend boristhespie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Someone wanted to be mischevious. Used a proxy no doubt but this shows the problem with online polls. This isn't a criminal act by a longshot. Just an arse.

Booooooo!
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2202 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  09:11:29 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
No news From Scottish Government when they "called in decision" so they could examine all aspects raised by objectors much more closely.. Full report in Arbroath Herald.... http://www.arbroathherald.co.uk/news/local-headlines/new_school_cash_could_be_spent_elsewhere_1_1908212

Terrymac
BigLichtie
Wee Haggis

6 Posts
Last here:
05 Dec 2011
Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  3:41:29 PM Show Profile Visit BigLichtie's HomepageSend BigLichtie a Private Message Reply with Quote
A lively debate on Peter Nield's latest rant over the new primary school has kicked off again on this site. Worth a look:

http://forargyll.com/2011/12/extraordinary-attack-on-education-secretary-by-angus-councillor/

philip
Senior Smokie

philip

Arbroath, Scotland
613 Posts
Last here:
12 Oct 2012
Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  09:45:04 AM Show Profile Visit philip's HomepageSend philip a Private Message Reply with Quote
The vote system at bottom of replys for and against.I was wondering if it was possible to make multiple entriesrolling on the floor

If you're talking behind my back, you're in a good position to kiss my ass!
boristhespie
Master Smokie

boristhespie

Arbroath, Scotland
1042 Posts
Last here:
22 Nov 2013
Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  8:37:33 PM Show Profile Visit boristhespie's HomepageSend boristhespie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wow that's a pretty sugical demolition of this self publicising narcisscist. Neald is as arrogant as they come.

Booooooo!
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2202 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  10:21:05 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
I agree with you B....spie on the arrogance of Cllr. Nield in this debacle...In my opinion he gives the impression of a very spoilt boy kicking and spitting at everything because he did not contrive well enough to get his own way. However I wish the Scottish Education Office would make a full and final response to end this!!

Terrymac
philip
Senior Smokie

philip

Arbroath, Scotland
613 Posts
Last here:
12 Oct 2012
Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  10:27:30 AM Show Profile Visit philip's HomepageSend philip a Private Message Reply with Quote
The phrase "WHO THE F**K DOES HE THINK HE IS"springs to mind>at wits end

If you're talking behind my back, you're in a good position to kiss my ass!
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2202 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  8:24:47 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
The good old Arbroath Herald reports that Angus Council is to make a final decision, on or soon after the 31st January, on whether Muirfield and Timergreens schools are to close and the "new school" at Hospitalfields is to be built to house the pupils from both schools...
The Scottish Education Department and Minister have taken a long time to evaluate the "call in" (A lot more than is usual)... It does not surprise me though, as Angus Council had a lot of questions to answer...

Terrymac
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2202 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  06:20:24 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
The Scottish Education Department (formerly HMiE) have refused the new school.. No doubt a full report in the local papers shall follow shortly and we shall learn more.. The dedication of Ewan Smith (of the Muirfield Action Group) and his campaign where he "uncovered" lots of anomalies concernined with the school inspections/consultations and brought these to the attention of the public and ultimately the Education Department no doubt had a great deal to do with the final decision...
Lots of parents are thankful that they and their young children shall not have to run the gauntlet of crossing the Westway to get their children to and from school on a daily school day basis...

As many who have read this thread know, I have been strongly against closing the two schools and the amalgamation of the pupil base within the proposed new school... All the surveys, that took place after the "flawed" consultation period, showed at least a 90% vote against a new school.. So justice for the majority of the Arbroath electorate has been served!!

Terrymac
boristhespie
Master Smokie

boristhespie

Arbroath, Scotland
1042 Posts
Last here:
22 Nov 2013
Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  1:15:53 PM Show Profile Visit boristhespie's HomepageSend boristhespie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Neild the MUPPET is having a hissy fit and threatening legal action (at our cost of course). Beaker. "Mee Mee Mee".

Booooooo!
Page: of 6Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2012 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.58 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *