Famous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about Arbroath

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Arbroath People
 Alex Nairn  
Welcome to the Arbroath People List!

Maintain or make your entry :: View the new Arbroath People webpage

AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
AlexJN
Wee Haggis

AlexJN

Arbroath, Scotland
8 Posts
Last here:
06 Nov 2017
Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  2:30:02 PM Show Profile Visit AlexJN's HomepageSend AlexJN a Private Message Reply with Quote
Name: Alex Nairn
DOB: 1948
Place of birth: Arbroath
Current Location: Woking, Surrey, UK

Left Arbroath in 1973 but still gaze nostalgically at pictures and YouTube videos

Philip Petrie
Senior Smokie

Philip Petrie

United Kingdom
406 Posts
Last here:
21 Apr 2014
Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  7:07:28 PM Show Profile Visit Philip Petrie's HomepageSend Philip Petrie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Could this be the same Alex Nairn from the early Earl Lawrie day's and laterly of the band '' Love Story '' if so hello Alex , good to here from you , if not the same Alex then welcome to '' The Shoppie '' anyway ,
AlexJN
Wee Haggis

AlexJN

Arbroath, Scotland
8 Posts
Last here:
06 Nov 2017
Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  12:08:17 PM Show Profile Visit AlexJN's HomepageSend AlexJN a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip Petrie

Could this be the same Alex Nairn from the early Earl Lawrie day's and laterly of the band '' Love Story '' if so hello Alex , good to here from you , if not the same Alex then welcome to '' The Shoppie '' anyway ,

AlexJN
Wee Haggis

AlexJN

Arbroath, Scotland
8 Posts
Last here:
06 Nov 2017
Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  12:11:05 PM Show Profile Visit AlexJN's HomepageSend AlexJN a Private Message Reply with Quote

Phil

Yes it is definitely me. Older no wiser and glad to hear from you.

I wonder what Errol (Good Deeds) and Alison (LOve Story) are doing nowadays? I still love music and still pick the guitar up

How is your life?

Regards

Alex
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1665 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  9:30:16 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hello Alex - you probably wont know me at all, but I remember at the High School in the early 60's there was an out of hours club called the CEWC (cant even remember what it stood for), but you and Iain Clarke (he now has to do with Radio North Angus) did a pop music quiz. I was in second year at the time (so it must have been 1963/64) and my friend and I came to the quiz... and we won. I remember you were both quite amazed that we knew that Joe Meek wrote and produced the tune Telstar, and that we managed to identify a singer called Terry Stafford who had the hit in America with a song called Suspicion.. an Elvis song from his Pot Luck album. We actually won a cigarette lighter for our efforts.... a box of matches!! Funny how things stick in the mind .... another question was "Who wrote the Gerry and the Pacemakers hit "I Like it" and we were able to answer correctly with Mitch Murray. We owed our knowledge to the fact that we both constantly tuned in to Radio Luxembourg, the Station of the Stars, and bought all the teen mags/papers of the day. Do you remember that quiz at all, Alex? In later years, my hubby and I enjoyed your performances with Errol, and later with Alison. There was a charity concert in 1973 featuring all the local groups, at the Webster Theatre (I remember it because we got married a few weeks later), but I cant recall what it was in aid of. You and Alison used to sing a lot of New Seekers songs, and Beg, Steal or Borrow was a favourite, along with one of the album tracks, "When I was small...! Any recollections of those events????
stan
Senior Smokie

stan

Canada
793 Posts
Last here:
02 Jun 2015
Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  2:58:40 PM Show Profile Visit stan's HomepageSend stan a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Alex I could be wrong but,did you not take the very first band photo of the Statesmen for us at the Seacadet Hall?
Philip Petrie
Senior Smokie

Philip Petrie

United Kingdom
406 Posts
Last here:
21 Apr 2014
Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  2:23:57 PM Show Profile Visit Philip Petrie's HomepageSend Philip Petrie a Private Message Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by AlexJN

Phil

I wonder what Errol (Good Deeds) and Alison (LOve Story) are doing nowadays? I still love music and still pick the guitar up

How is your life?

1st of all Alex , doing fine , Errol is still playing , cant recall or not if he was with Mike McEwan or not when you left but for goodness knows how long they have been going out as a duo called Force Two , very popular they are as well , Errol still doing his " Hank " , Alison , last time I spoke to Alison was a reunion night for a band called KJB for whom she used to sing with , cant be to long after you left , Jim Horn ,( who was on drums just at the latter end of Love Story , along with Ian " winker " Stuart ) was on drums that evening , there is a photo of him on here , follow the link ,

http://www.theshoppie.com/arbroath/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1048&whichpage=15

hope to hear from you soon , take care , Phil

stan
Senior Smokie

stan

Canada
793 Posts
Last here:
02 Jun 2015
Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  3:06:59 PM Show Profile Visit stan's HomepageSend stan a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hey phil Ian Stewart!! I was with a guy yesterday from Brechin and was trying to remember his name He was a pal of Sandy Edgleys from Brechin and joined the Statesmen after Johnny left do you ever see him cheers
AlexJN
Wee Haggis

AlexJN

Arbroath, Scotland
8 Posts
Last here:
06 Nov 2017
Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  10:11:45 AM Show Profile Visit AlexJN's HomepageSend AlexJN a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hello (I'm sorry I don't know your name so I'll call you Wilma!!)smile

I remember every single thing you mentioned (except for the matches and cigarette lighter) and it brought back a barrel load of memories. The CEWC was a politics club that never discussed politics once Ian and I got our hands on it.

Of course I remember playing with Erroll and of course with Alison as Love Story. The 1973 charity concert was a highlight and we opened with Beg Steal or Borrow and of course I recall When we were small as the tearjerker. Great memories.

I hope that life is treating you well and thank you very much for such a great message

Alex

AlexJN
Wee Haggis

AlexJN

Arbroath, Scotland
8 Posts
Last here:
06 Nov 2017
Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  10:16:26 AM Show Profile Visit AlexJN's HomepageSend AlexJN a Private Message Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Philip Petrie

[quote]Originally posted by AlexJN

Phil

How is your life?

1st of all Alex , doing fine , Errol is still playing , cant recall or not if he was with Mike McEwan or not when you left but for goodness knows how long they have been going out as a duo called Force Two , very popular they are as well , Errol still doing his " Hank " , Alison , last time I spoke to Alison was a reunion night for a band called KJB for whom she used to sing with , cant be to long after you left , Jim Horn ,( who was on drums just at the latter end of Love Story , along with Ian " winker " Stuart ) was on drums that evening , there is a photo of him on here , follow the link ,

http://www.theshoppie.com/arbroath/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1048&whichpage=15

hope to hear from you soon , take care , Phil

Hi Phil

Now that you mention it I recall Force Two Combo and they have must have been going for neraly 30 years. I would love to hear Errol play again.

You're correct as Alison sung with the Kenny Jenson Band as soon as I left in '73. I thought they were brilliant. I remember Ian and Jim very well.

I'm off to click on the link you sent now. Thank you.

Take care

Alex
AlexJN
Wee Haggis

AlexJN

Arbroath, Scotland
8 Posts
Last here:
06 Nov 2017
Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  10:23:06 AM Show Profile Visit AlexJN's HomepageSend AlexJN a Private Message Reply with Quote
Back again so soon

The photos were outstanding - Jim has put on a bit of weight but looks as comfortable behind the drums as ever.

I assume that Alison didn't sing that night as there is no sign of her. I'd love to see what she looks like now.

Whilst on the link page I read about Morris Pert's death. Tragic. I was in email contact with him a few years back. Hsade didn't remember me but I certainly remember him and his dad's Discafe in Commerce street sad

AlexJN
Wee Haggis

AlexJN

Arbroath, Scotland
8 Posts
Last here:
06 Nov 2017
Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  10:24:20 AM Show Profile Visit AlexJN's HomepageSend AlexJN a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Stan

I recall the photo very well as I have seen it several times over the years but I have no idea whether I took it. What a cool bunch you were.

Great to hear from you. Hope life is good

Alex
ian esplin
Wee Haggis

Arbroath, Scotland
2 Posts
Last here:
04 Aug 2016
Posted - 04 Aug 2016 :  4:58:50 PM Show ProfileSend ian esplin a Private Message Reply with Quote
Rocky ford and the nomads
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 Forum Locked Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.42 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *