All about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractions

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 Arbroath in the news
 Letham Grange Hotel and Golf Course closed, again  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4396 Posts
Last here:
07 Jan 2018
Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  7:44:56 PM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
Letham Grange has been forced to close down - again! The on going dispute regarding ownership of the property is once again the problem. STV story here http://news.stv.tv/scotland/tayside/222852-angus-golf-estate-closes-suddenly-after-ownership-dispute/

Exactly why it can takes years to decide who actually owns a property is beyond me. The story also says that the Golf course is also closing, I'm sure that stayed open the last time?

Very sad sad

David Spink
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2437 Posts
Last here:
27 Nov 2018
Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  10:14:28 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Stayed there several times.... Many years ago, in 70's, the first time I stayed, the golf course was just being "started on", but the curling rink was operational then....
I can scrub Letham Grange for my visit in March. Looks as though Ogston's (if they do me a good deal) is a possibility.

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  2:56:14 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yeah saw this in the courier at the start of the week too. It's a pity it's shutting again, it is a really nice place when run properly.

The course never shut last time as you said David, I wonder why it is this time?
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4396 Posts
Last here:
07 Jan 2018
Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  6:19:20 PM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
I could be wrong - but I seem to recall the administrators the last time were confident that things could be sorted out fairly quickly so they kept on the groundkeepers and a couple of members of staff to keep the golf course going. Maybe there is no expectation of a speedy resolution this time? Will be a real shame if the grounds are left to go to ruin. sad

David Spink
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2437 Posts
Last here:
27 Nov 2018
Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  2:46:31 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Read that ten of the staff were called to the Office and given letters terminating their employment immediately... Players on the golf course were told by greenkeepers they had to leave the course as they had been instructed to take in all The hole flags and other course equipment. This was at 10.00am same day of closure... some staff have said that they have not received their proper salaries and were given no contact telphone or address when given their termination letters, they were only left with Company address (down in Devon) and told to write to that address with questions/complaints.
No chance of any part being re-opened until litigation is finalised!! This could be years!!at wits end

Terrymac
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2437 Posts
Last here:
27 Nov 2018
Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  6:16:13 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
OOps!! I've just been told that it was 1986 we first went to Letham Grange.. It must be right 'cos she says so!

Terrymac
kylecraiggan
Wee Haggis

kylecraiggan

Arbroath, Scotland
2 Posts
Last here:
18 Nov 2011
Posted - 27 Jan 2011 :  8:59:34 PM Show Profile Visit kylecraiggan's HomepageSend kylecraiggan a Private Message Reply with Quote
Angus council should buy it and turn it into council offices. Since they moved to Forfar Arbroath seems to have been completely dismissed!
Smokie1756
Senior Smokie

Smokie1756

Scotland
535 Posts
Last here:
31 May 2015
Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  12:26:52 PM Show Profile Visit Smokie1756's HomepageSend Smokie1756 a Private Message Reply with Quote
Eh no I dont think so Kyle. This is an hotel which with its golf course will be a great place when it reopens. It will reopen but when is the question. It has the potential to again be a great place which the area needs. I can just imagine Angus Cooncil in there - there would be a battle for best rooms with a view and more staff on the gowf course than working!!!!!!

Smokie1756
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4396 Posts
Last here:
07 Jan 2018
Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  7:44:37 PM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
On the other hand - think of what has happened to The Elms! If it's left for year to rot without anyone looking after it it might either fall down or burn down.

David Spink
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  4:54:12 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
It's a sad state of affairs no doubt about it. It's a well used but previously poorly managed resource.
The 'old' owner who is now asserting his rights to it is just looking for a handout and depriving the area of a potentially excellent hotel and golf course in the mean time.
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4396 Posts
Last here:
07 Jan 2018
Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  12:16:38 AM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
Donald Rumsfeld could have been talking about Letham Grange when he said, "There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

This very interesting website all about the known and unknowns of the Letham Grange saga makes interesting reading - http://www.lethamgrange.com/

David Spink
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2437 Posts
Last here:
27 Nov 2018
Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  7:29:02 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Read in "The Arbroath Herald" online that the golf course is to "re-open" on the 1st April... Nothing about Hotel though.

Terrymac
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2437 Posts
Last here:
27 Nov 2018
Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  6:05:24 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well "The Courier" reports that the court case has come to a conclusion and Peter Liu has "won" and his Company still owns the Hotel/Golf course.. However the golf course/grounds are still being "run" by the appointed liquidator... But the agreements between the current Letham Grange Golf Club and the Liquidator shall now be thrown into disarray!!!
It has cost the Liu family a considerable amount of money to pursue this.. I therefore hope Liu can organise his "venture investors" to re-invest and bring the Hotel/Golf Course back into operation quickly..

I hope that it moves forward fast now and that the Hotel/Golf Course shall be run succesfully on full re-opening!!

Terrymac
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4396 Posts
Last here:
07 Jan 2018
Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  7:58:07 PM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
Do you have a link to that story Terry? tongue

David Spink
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4396 Posts
Last here:
07 Jan 2018
Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  8:03:35 PM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
Here is it http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Angus/article/12915/court-finding-places-letham-grange-golf-resort-s-future-in-balance.html

What a sorry tale... rolling eyes

David Spink
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2437 Posts
Last here:
27 Nov 2018
Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  12:20:12 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
That is the full story David... No matter of "rights or wrongs" of what has happened our legal system has made the decision... I just hope something happens fast to put the Hotel/Golf business back on track as soon as possible for the Angus/Arbroath area!!

Lets hope the "golf members" that rallied round (and paid their membership to allow golf re-open) do not get buggered!!!!

Terrymac
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2437 Posts
Last here:
27 Nov 2018
Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  12:26:13 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
I have stayed at this lovely place.. Letham Grange Hotel.. It has been closed for years due to a dispute between the original owner and the bankruptcy administrators.. After 12 years of costly courtroom battles, the decision may now have finally cleared the way for the possible disposal of the Victorian mansion house and acclaimed golf courses. Any further news on what is happening or happened anyone?

Terrymac
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2437 Posts
Last here:
27 Nov 2018
Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  08:49:52 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Since the last post I made I have been made aware of a "final" judgement at the "Supreme Court" which went against the liquidator.. The property has been judged as being legally owned by one of the original owners Companies.. There is a report if anyone interested.. http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2014/july/supreme-court-overturns-liquidators-challenge-to-pre-liquidation-security-granted-over-golf-club/

I wonder what is going to happen now??

Terrymac
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
220 Posts
Last here:
04 Aug 2018
Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  12:57:49 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Great project for Donald Trump, would have been a lot less hassle for him than the Mennie Estate. Unfortunately the houses are already built so probably not enough money in it for him. It needs someone with his wealth to drive it forward.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2437 Posts
Last here:
27 Nov 2018
Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  6:33:59 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Foxworth Investments Ltd., of which Mr Liu is a Director, have now been judged as the legal owners.. The Golf Club, run by volunteers, and with a great membership, shall continue to operate under licence until February 2015.
Hopefully the Canadian registered Company Foxworth Investments Ltd. shall be able to come up with a business plan whereby the full facilities shall be brought back into use. (and that the golf club volunteers/members shall be treated more than fairly considering the work carried out, all at their expense, thereby allowing both golf courses to be very well maintained)

Terrymac
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  6:27:23 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
It'd be great to see it refurbished and operating again.

I'm not sure all the companies and people who were left out of pocket when bills stopped getting paid will be delighted....

Derek.
Page: of 2Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.57 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *