All about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractions

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 History & Information
 Arbroath History, People and Places
 Former Prison of war camps around arbroath  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
901 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 09 May 2011 :  11:19:00 AM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
I seem to recall that out at Friockheim there was an Italian Prisoner of War Camp sited as in the 1950's there was a marble altar from that POW camp for the Italians in WW2 . That location was later turned into the park which is nowadays across from the new village school .

Any info on this and on any other Prisoner of War Camps of the war ??

keptie
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
901 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 20 May 2011 :  7:28:02 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
I thought someone out there would know about this location which I heard was a POW camp for the WW2 Italians .............

keptie
Philip Petrie
Senior Smokie

Philip Petrie

United Kingdom
406 Posts
Last here:
21 Apr 2014
Posted - 20 May 2011 :  8:58:19 PM Show Profile Visit Philip Petrie's HomepageSend Philip Petrie a Private Message Reply with Quote
This may help , but with your vast knowledge you will probably have been here before , if not hope this link helps

http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index.php/Secrets/PoWCampSummaryWWII#vu

Phil
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 20 May 2011 :  9:06:25 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
I can't say i've ever read of a POW camp in this area. The nearest to here I'm aware of is the one at Comrie.
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
25 Mar 2019
Posted - 21 May 2011 :  1:31:39 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
I remember in the 50's the fences and gates of the camp at Friockheim, they were in the park, wonder if the concrete foundations of the huts are still there?
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 21 May 2011 :  6:54:50 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hmm, after a bit of googling it appears listed as "275/275a Kinnell Camp, Friockheim"

There's an entry for it at Scotlands Places which says of it:
The site of a possible Prisoner-of-war camp is siutated immediately to the E of the cemetery at Friockheim.
The site is visible on postwar vertical air photographs (106G Scot/UK 6, 3244-3245, flown 14 April 1946), and consists of at least four large and two smaller huts. In addition, a small rectangular area with paths can be seen situated centrally between the huts.
A Prisoner-of -war camp is noted at Friockheim as 'Kinnel Camp' in a list in 'Project Report. Twentieth Century Military Recording Project, Prsiner of War Camps (1939-1948)', National Monuments Records Centre, English Heritage Centre, July 2003 (Thomas, R, 2003).
Information from RCAHMS (DE), May 2005
According to English Heritage is was a "German Working Camp".
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
901 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 21 May 2011 :  9:13:30 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thanks Have had a phone call from a good friend who seems to recall a POW camp Douglaswood near Monikie and there are some remains of the buildings in the farmers fields to this date. He said that POW's went to work at farms during the daytime and were picked up and taken back to the POW Camp at the end of the working day .

He thinks too of a POW camp possibly between Kinnel in the area of Chapeltown outside Arbroath .

keptie
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 22 May 2011 :  7:35:49 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Douglaswood was a radar base.

The scouting Association used it for many years as a camp ground, maybe till do?
I remember there were pill boxes and the big fences still in place. In the 1980's when I was a scout there was old buildings at the centre of the camp which were unused and falling apart, still with furniture lying about and ceilings falling in.

You could also get down into the old underground complex up by the hangmans tree on the hill, there was an old tree trunk used as a means of getting down into it. There was heaps of machinery still down there. It'll be boarded up now I imagine?

some pics here: http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=16076

Derek.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 22 May 2011 :  8:42:24 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
I sure there was a photo in one of "wir Bookie's" that showed a group of farm workers, among whom one was a former german POW who chose to stay on in Scotland after release.
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
25 Mar 2019
Posted - 29 May 2011 :  1:41:10 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Visited Friockheim Park last week, beautiful park but I could not find any trance of the POW camp. I remember the stone table with an inscription on it,in either Italian or German. Many of the POW were not returned to Germany until well after the war in the late 40's.
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
901 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 29 May 2011 :  8:43:29 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Just had a phone call from a good friend Will Lyall , who has a great knowledge of Friock and Arbroath and he tells me hes got a DVD on Friockheim and it has a picture of POLISH TROOPS in Friockheim and also there is another picture showing the Major in charge of Polish Troops outside the Station Hotel in Friockheim . This would be the place the Officers were billeted in WW2 and the ORs along at the Friockheim park ..........

keptie
tomv
Wee Haggis

tomv

Arbroath, Scotland
9 Posts
Last here:
25 Jan 2019
Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  9:36:18 PM Show Profile Visit tomv's HomepageSend tomv a Private Message Reply with Quote
http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/272560/details/friockheim+camp+275+275a+recreation+ground/
tomv
Wee Haggis

tomv

Arbroath, Scotland
9 Posts
Last here:
25 Jan 2019
Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  9:41:23 PM Show Profile Visit tomv's HomepageSend tomv a Private Message Reply with Quote
I collect mail that has been posted from Scottish Pow camps and have a book that lists them all with camp number. Unfortunately I dont have any mail from the Friockheim camp.

tomv
NBGen
Wee Haggis

1 Posts
Last here:
20 Jan 2015
Posted - 20 Jan 2015 :  3:21:19 PM Show ProfileSend NBGen a Private Message Reply with Quote
@Derek - I stummbled across this old thread while doing research for my family tree. My grandfather was a German POW in Kinnel who decided to stay on and live in Angus after the war - I cant seem to find "Wir Bookies" online. By a long shot you wouldnt know the name of the POW or even a image of the photo you could send!?
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
25 Mar 2019
Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  12:03:31 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
I think that the camps at Kinnell and Froickheim are the one camp.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  1:49:39 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
NCGen from memory the Germans name was "Bob" Boehm or something similar. The photo is of a group of farm workers collecting hay inthe 1950's.

Marcol, most likely, the two are much too close to make it worth while having two.
tomv
Wee Haggis

tomv

Arbroath, Scotland
9 Posts
Last here:
25 Jan 2019
Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  2:57:53 PM Show Profile Visit tomv's HomepageSend tomv a Private Message Reply with Quote
Reading all the different posts on the Friockheim prisoner of war camp i think its safe to say that it was situated at or very near where the public park is now (a stone throw from my house). I know that some books and sites online call it Kinnell Camp, but maybe there is a bit of a mix up as Kinnell had an aerodrome and there would have been various buildings and shed there at the time.
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
25 Mar 2019
Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  6:22:13 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yes -Tomv, That's exactly where it was, I remember the wooden buildings being there in the 50's and I also remember a small concrete table with foreign language being in the park in the late 60's. I had a look for this about two years ago but couldn't find any trace of this. Perhaps someone in Friockheim will remember the memorial.
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
220 Posts
Last here:
04 Aug 2018
Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  6:30:19 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
My Father in Law was a POW in Poland, near Danzig, The camp was Marienburg XXB. There was a main camp then a number of satellite camps and then the majority were sent to work on farms and factories etc. My guess is that a similar system was employed in the UK with main camps and satellite camps etc, particularly in rural Angus where manpower would have been scarce. My father in law also survived the death marches towards the end of the war, my research has unearthed an unbelievable story, many berry pickers will remember him when he farmed Westmill near Colliston.
Dàibhidh Grannd
Wee Haggis

United Kingdom
1 Posts
Last here:
27 Jul 2016
Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  2:26:57 PM Show ProfileSend Dàibhidh Grannd a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keptie

Just had a phone call from a good friend Will Lyall , who has a great knowledge of Friock and Arbroath and he tells me hes got a DVD on Friockheim and it has a picture of POLISH TROOPS in Friockheim and also there is another picture showing the Major in charge of Polish Troops outside the Station Hotel in Friockheim . This would be the place the Officers were billeted in WW2 and the ORs along at the Friockheim park ..........

Hi Keptie

I wonder if you would send me a private message so I can contact you. I am researching the family history of a disabled Polish man who lived at a camp near Arbroath and stayed on in the area after the war. He died in 1990. His family in Poland have asked me to help them find information about him and I'd be grateful for any help you of Mr Will Lyall might be able to supply. Kind regards.
tomv
Wee Haggis

tomv

Arbroath, Scotland
9 Posts
Last here:
25 Jan 2019
Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  4:30:43 PM Show Profile Visit tomv's HomepageSend tomv a Private Message Reply with Quote
Envelope sent from Germany to POW Camp at Friockheim 1947.
Page: of 2Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.56 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *