Famous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about Arbroath

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 Arbroath in the news
 Pie Bob's  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
SNOOP
Wee Haggis

26 Posts
Last here:
23 Feb 2012
Posted - 09 May 2011 :  3:39:17 PM Show Profile Visit SNOOP's HomepageSend SNOOP a Private Message Reply with Quote
Heard someone say that Pie Bob's is now closed on Friday and Saturday nights due to trouble outside.Gone are the days of getting a hot pie or a roll after a night on the town.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 09 May 2011 :  4:20:17 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Aye, a few weeks ago the police told them to not stay open after 1am on friday and saturdays, just like all other takeaways in town.

I've been told that in the late 80's at the height of the locals versus marines battles the council chan ged the rules regarding when take aways could be open until, they would be closed when the mass of people left nightclubs, therefore they would disperse quicker and have less bother.

Do any shoppie members remember this? Or at least remember how long it's been since you could get a bag of chips after 1am?

Arbroath is a little backward for its size in this respect. There's no 24 hour fuel or food availability, something visitors to the town have often remarked to me about as being odd.

Derek.
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4396 Posts
Last here:
07 Jan 2018
Posted - 09 May 2011 :  4:45:05 PM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
Of course there was the Esso 24 hour garage for a number of years which sold essential items 24 hours a day such as Irn Bru and crisps. I can remember waiting to pay for fuel late at night behind drunk people waiting for all sorts of stuff to be passed to them via the little security hatch! But the end came for them not long after Safeway opened it's garage - which initially was 24 hours too. Funny that. winking

David Spink
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2437 Posts
Last here:
27 Nov 2018
Posted - 10 May 2011 :  7:14:04 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Back in the sixties we had fresh rolls and jam from the bakery after a night at the Marine or elsewhere...

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
SNOOP
Wee Haggis

26 Posts
Last here:
23 Feb 2012
Posted - 11 May 2011 :  1:57:30 PM Show Profile Visit SNOOP's HomepageSend SNOOP a Private Message Reply with Quote
Was that at Burnetts the bakers
Philip Petrie
Senior Smokie

Philip Petrie

United Kingdom
406 Posts
Last here:
21 Apr 2014
Posted - 11 May 2011 :  5:12:22 PM Show Profile Visit Philip Petrie's HomepageSend Philip Petrie a Private Message Reply with Quote
On a Friday night you had a choice of 2 , Peter Smith's ( Lordburn ) and Masson's ( Barngreen ), and Peter Smith's on a Saturday ,
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 11 May 2011 :  7:33:50 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Phil,

was the Lordburn one where the hairdressers or the framing shop now is?

Derek.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1652 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 11 May 2011 :  8:39:47 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
It was situated next to where the Pet shop is now - with the bakehouse at the back. Not a fancy shop by any means, but, oh, the rolls, the bridies....... A small consolation on a Saturday night if you were unsuccessful in attracting the attentions of a young man at the Marine, and had to go home on your own, or with your pals!!
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2437 Posts
Last here:
27 Nov 2018
Posted - 12 May 2011 :  07:37:32 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Bet you had a few roll and jams bought for you as "the young man" walked you home Flintstone!!!
It was Smiths Bakery I used Snoop... Many a Montrose lass had the pleasure of a jam roll I bought them..

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1652 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 12 May 2011 :  9:02:13 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Ooooooh, Matron!!! I bet a jammy roll would be frowned upon today as a love-token! Seems it has to be weekends away or red roses that do the trick nowadays. We must have been easily pleased!
Alpal
Wee Haggis

Alpal

Australia
3 Posts
Last here:
04 Jan 2016
Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  10:16:58 AM Show Profile Visit Alpal's HomepageSend Alpal a Private Message Reply with Quote
Remember one Saturday night in Pete Smiths seeing a mouse running around behind the counter on the floor,took off between the bags of flower.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  01:15:26 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
pie bobs now sell t-shorts, whote or black with their logo on it. perfect for all exiled Lichties.

Geraldine
Wee Haggis

Netherlands
2 Posts
Last here:
08 Apr 2018
Posted - 04 May 2014 :  1:00:14 PM Show Profile Visit Geraldine's HomepageSend Geraldine a Private Message Reply with Quote
What as the name of the baker on Milgate Loan near the Chinese? I can remember going there late at night but I think it was in the 70's
bothyloon
Wee Haggis

United Kingdom
2 Posts
Last here:
30 Jun 2018
Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  8:49:20 PM Show Profile Visit bothyloon's HomepageSend bothyloon a Private Message Reply with Quote
I think it was called Mitchels and it closed when he went into partner ship with Deas at the bottom of Garden St to become Mitchel & Deas
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.42 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *