Details of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTube

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Archive
 Bellrock: Year of the Light 2011
 junk on the dundee road  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
REB
Wee Haggis

USA
16 Posts
Last here:
15 Aug 2011
Posted - 12 May 2011 :  04:22:45 AM Show Profile Visit REB's HomepageSend REB a Private Message Reply with Quote
i am a redlichti servide my time in douglas frasers then became giddings &lewis fraser. i showed the picture of the piece of scrap metal that is going to be put on the dundee road into the town , to a number of the american g . l people that stayed in the seaforth hotel . they said they had a great time during there stay in arbroath , but why would they put a piece of scrap m
etal on the way into town they said its a disgrace and the people responsiple should be ashamed there words were put a copy of the bellrock . the people on the commite for the year of light are just after making a name for themselves
ron bruce, born and bred in arbroath
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 13 May 2011 :  5:29:17 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
I see you feel very passionately about this Ron.

I know in the beginning there was hope for a model of the Bellrock on the centre of the roundabout as you enter town from Dundee at the golf course.
Apparently someone said it would be a traffic hazard, as motorists would look at it instead of the road, also people may with to cross the road (which has no pedestrian access to the roundabout) to take pictures or look at it. This seems strange to me as there are many roundabouts in the country with art installations on them in a similar situation.

Then there's the money aspect. A replica would need to be commissioned and built, at no small expense. Where would the money come from?

The NLB offered a disused small metal lighthouse structure for free. As it can't go on the roundabout it'll go by the side of the road nearby. It may not be lit up at night as a lighthouse would be, again for H&S reasons of driver distracion.

I prefer this alternative lighthouse feature to having nothing at all. It's not what I'd hoped for, but with little or no money to play with what else is there?

Derek.
Gaz
Wee Haggis

Gaz

United Kingdom
12 Posts
Last here:
30 Aug 2011
Posted - 14 May 2011 :  7:54:34 PM Show Profile Visit Gaz's HomepageSend Gaz a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ronbruce

i am a redlichti servide my time in douglas frasers then became giddings &lewis fraser. i showed the picture of the piece of scrap metal that is going to be put on the dundee road into the town , to a number of the american g . l people that stayed in the seaforth hotel . they said they had a great time during there stay in arbroath , but why would they put a piece of scrap m
etal on the way into town they said its a disgrace and the people responsiple should be ashamed there words were put a copy of the bellrock . the people on the commite for the year of light are just after making a name for themselves
ron bruce, born and bred in arbroath

I think your showing a little bit of apathy. If your so passionate and feel you could do something, then maybe a positive contribution would be more helpful.

As much as Arbroath is struggling right now, the people on the Year of the Light project will be giving up their own spare time to put into this venture.

You can sit on a computer and criticize etc.

Maybe an e-mail to the people or a face to face meeting of the people you have it in for would be more helpful.

I thought living in the USA would maybe enlighten you a wee bit mair as they say aroond these parts min cool
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2412 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 14 May 2011 :  8:56:37 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
I personally thought this so called trash should be in arbroath it was so good...

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Gaz
Wee Haggis

Gaz

United Kingdom
12 Posts
Last here:
30 Aug 2011
Posted - 14 May 2011 :  10:34:22 PM Show Profile Visit Gaz's HomepageSend Gaz a Private Message Reply with Quote
Interesting, I noticed one of my posts had been deleted on the 'Wheres this' thread. Why? A lot of folk in Arbroath are fed up with the inward secular looking types. I remarked this to another person, honestly this town could do much better if it was to throw away the 'not here' mentality. For me its too late been spending my time in Dundee, Aberdeen etc. I'm a psychology student by the way. Spotted the negative mentality smile
REB
Wee Haggis

USA
16 Posts
Last here:
15 Aug 2011
Posted - 15 May 2011 :  03:30:09 AM Show Profile Visit REB's HomepageSend REB a Private Message Reply with Quote
well gaz
you should check your facts before saying anything, if you check with the shoppie you will find that i gave a substantial amount of money towards keeping the shoppie going,
thats the problem engage brain (what brain)before using the finger.
ron bruce.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 15 May 2011 :  12:03:28 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz

I noticed one of my posts had been deleted on the 'Wheres this' thread.

That's my fault, I made a mistake when attempting to manage the thread. Apologies for that.

Derek.
Howard
Master Smokie

Howard

Arbroath, Scotland
2685 Posts
Last here:
01 Jan 2018
Posted - 20 May 2011 :  4:16:25 PM Show ProfileSend Howard a Private Message Reply with Quote
For those interested, the "junk" that ronbruce refers to is being installed at the site at Elliot today. It is currently in primer at the moment and when works are complete, it will be painted.
The Victorian "Minor Light" as it is officially known is one of only two in existence, the other is on display in the NLB museum in Fraserbourgh.
Another feather in Arbroath's cap as far as I'm concerned
ScottishRose
Wee Smokie

ScottishRose

Scotland
291 Posts
Last here:
30 Sep 2015
Posted - 20 May 2011 :  5:57:49 PM Show Profile Visit ScottishRose's HomepageSend ScottishRose a Private Message Reply with Quote
I think it looks quite good big grin

Laura xx
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2412 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 20 May 2011 :  6:07:31 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Look forward to seeing it shortly!!!

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
hoggster
Wee Smokie

hoggster

Arbroath, Scotland
390 Posts
Last here:
17 Jun 2015
Posted - 21 May 2011 :  12:27:52 AM Show Profile Visit hoggster's HomepageSend hoggster a Private Message Reply with Quote
arbroath needs what it can get to help us get back on our feet as a born and bred arboathian i would love to see this town the way it used t be heaving in the summer not just bearing up and we are losing to much of our local shops, teams , hotels i just hope we can come back from the brink as at the moment as i see it he condor base is our main asset to the town if that went arbroath is doomed

s hogg
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4396 Posts
Last here:
07 Jan 2018
Posted - 21 May 2011 :  3:23:00 PM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
I drove past it yesterday - I think it looks good, will look even better once painted. A point of interest for people coming into the town to see as they arrive, demonstrating the link the town has with the Bellrock! tongue

David Spink
stan
Senior Smokie

stan

Canada
793 Posts
Last here:
02 Jun 2015
Posted - 21 May 2011 :  4:19:37 PM Show Profile Visit stan's HomepageSend stan a Private Message Reply with Quote
maybe someone could post a photie so i can take a keek?
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 21 May 2011 :  4:33:54 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Stan,

I put some up yesterday on the year of the light thread

Derek.
REB
Wee Haggis

USA
16 Posts
Last here:
15 Aug 2011
Posted - 22 May 2011 :  04:33:59 AM Show Profile Visit REB's HomepageSend REB a Private Message Reply with Quote
well gaz,
or isit gas , i havent , heard the zipper on your sporran open to give a donation to help keep the shoppei going , maybe you should sign off . just like the rest of the people that use pseudonym,s or monikers as they dont have the gusty to let people know who the are . oh dereck let me know how i can be a yellow belly , so i can get a moniker . you will be getting another donation shortly.
monicker unknown
zzTop
Wee Haggis

zzTop

29 Posts
Last here:
06 Sep 2012
Posted - 22 May 2011 :  7:35:27 PM Show Profile Visit zzTop's HomepageSend zzTop a Private Message Reply with Quote
Ahh somebody in the USA going on about how much cash he has. That's origional.
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
637 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 23 May 2011 :  01:39:22 AM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
Don't make a blanket condemnation of those of us who choose to live over here, ZZTop. I have never raised the subject of money with any of my friends in Arbroath whether we earn more or less than they do.We have worked extremely hard over here to give ourselves a comfortable retirement and I resent your small-minded, parochial assessment of myself and my family...and by the way, I can spell too !!
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 23 May 2011 :  04:40:52 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Come on folks, we all work hard at our jobs/careers and our country of status has nothing to do with it. Stereotypes are easy to paint, but let us not use these to characature people.

It's too easy to be negative, let's focus on the positive.

Derek.
zzTop
Wee Haggis

zzTop

29 Posts
Last here:
06 Sep 2012
Posted - 23 May 2011 :  2:28:24 PM Show Profile Visit zzTop's HomepageSend zzTop a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by exBraemar

Don't make a blanket condemnation of those of us who choose to live over here, ZZTop.

It wasn't intended as such. My apologies if it came across as that.

Master Bruce, the OP who first started this thread with a bunch of highly disparaging comments about a local artist's work (which he called junk) when he was called up on his attitude, he declared he was the sole person responsible for this site existing and that we should bow down to him like an absentee landlord as he evicts us from our crofts to make way for sheep for daring to not reveal our true names.

He justifies his attitude by flashing his wallet at us ("i gave a substantial amount of money") and in case that wasn't enough, he promises more (you will be getting another donation shortly). The last time somebody did that at me was a certain Donald Trump with a golf course that the majority off local people didn't want, so please forgive me if I overacted and seemingly condemned an entire country. That was never my intent.

I'm a great fan of the USA and rock & roll and hamburgers. winking I'm just not a great fan of people that think money gives them the right to act however they want. In my experience online (since 1986) it's mostly Americans who do this (online) because of the money oriented culture parts of the USA have which promotes this behaviour. The UK was like this in the 1980's with the "yuppies" and of course isn't immune today, but my comment to the OP was based on years of watching mostly American posters on webforums who think people will be impressed by their claimed wealth, flash their virtual cash. It does not condemn an entire country, only those within who act a certain way.

Count yourselves lucky, you don't have to contend with Neds and Chavs. Swings and roundabouts exBraemar, swings and roundabouts (pun intended). clown
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
637 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 23 May 2011 :  2:51:14 PM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thanks ZZTop, I've calmed down since last night! We are embarrassed by the "Ugly Americans" too but unfortunately they are the ones that people notice...."Empty barrels, etc.," It seems to me we (You and I) could have had an amicable discussion about the pros and cons of both societies...as you say "Swings and roundabouts" :-)
Gaz
Wee Haggis

Gaz

United Kingdom
12 Posts
Last here:
30 Aug 2011
Posted - 30 May 2011 :  9:06:57 PM Show Profile Visit Gaz's HomepageSend Gaz a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ronbruce

well gaz
you should check your facts before saying anything, if you check with the shoppie you will find that i gave a substantial amount of money towards keeping the shoppie going,
thats the problem engage brain (what brain)before using the finger.
ron bruce.

Fair enough your entitled to your views and I'll never disrespect for you that. I'm bigger than that. Good on you for contributing to the website (I've been busy this past fortnight, hence me not looking in). My brain is fine, going on to further studies in my chosen subject because unfortunately my 'fingers' are not working properly just now. I still manage to not be bitter towards others etc. Yeah sometimes I can be full of gas etc, but hey I would never talk to anyone and look down on them because I have more money than them. That is just unethical to me. Apologies to any members if I'm coming over as moody etc sad
Page: of 2Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.36 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *