Famous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about Arbroath

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Arbroath People
 Charles Trimble  
Welcome to the Arbroath People List!

Maintain or make your entry :: View the new Arbroath People webpage

AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
expatriate
Wee Haggis

United Kingdom
5 Posts
Last here:
24 Apr 2015
Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  12:23:43 AM Show Profile Visit expatriate's HomepageSend expatriate a Private Message Reply with Quote
Name: Charles Trimble
DOB: June, 1933.
Place of birth: Stanley Street, Arbroath.
Current Location: Wales

I attended the old Abbey School (1938 - 45) and then the High School (1945 - 48). After leaving school I was an enthusiastic member of the Fairport Wheelers Cycling Club until I joined the R.A.F. in 1951. I moved around quite a bit during my 22 years service and afterwards but have finally settled in Wales. I would dearly love to hear from anyone who remembers me from the past.
freddiekruger
Wee Haggis

freddiekruger

Arbroath, Scotland
31 Posts
Last here:
25 Apr 2018
Posted - 24 Sep 2011 :  7:21:33 PM Show Profile Visit freddiekruger's HomepageSend freddiekruger a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Charles, your name rings a bell. Your not the Trimbles who lived at St Thomas Crescent around about 1965?
expatriate
Wee Haggis

United Kingdom
5 Posts
Last here:
24 Apr 2015
Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  10:48:59 PM Show Profile Visit expatriate's HomepageSend expatriate a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi, Thanks for your interest. Yes indeed, I spent my adolescent years living at No. 17 St. Thomas Crescent (looking up Noran Avenue)but in the mid-sixties I was serving in the Far East although my parents were still living in "The Crescent".
PamAnne
Wee Haggis

Australia
25 Posts
Last here:
07 Aug 2015
Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  09:34:58 AM Show ProfileSend PamAnne a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Charles.
I don't know you personally but your Mother Elsie was a very good friend of my Aunt Mary (Grant) who lived at 32 St. Thomas Crescent. I lived with my Aunt for a while and got to know your Mother then. That was 1949/50. Long time ago. PamAnne.
freddiekruger
Wee Haggis

freddiekruger

Arbroath, Scotland
31 Posts
Last here:
25 Apr 2018
Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  7:51:26 PM Show Profile Visit freddiekruger's HomepageSend freddiekruger a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Charles, Thanks for your reply, as you know we were the Websters who resided at 33 St Thomas Crescent. My father was Angus my mother Jean, sadly my mother died whilst we lived at the Crescent ( 1968 ), Next door to us were the Paton's across from them were the Willox then the Trimbles. You may remember across the road lived Vid Gray the joiner.Had many childhood memories at the Crescent often annoying the neighbours whilst riding my bike, lol, Hope you are keeping well, keep in touch. Cheers!!
hayswell35
Wee Haggis

Arbroath, Scotland
20 Posts
Last here:
06 Oct 2015
Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  11:06:51 PM Show Profile Visit hayswell35's HomepageSend hayswell35 a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi, I am Ann McKay who used to stay at 19 St Thomas Crescent when I was a young girl with my mum and dad Chris and John McKay and little brother John.
I was about 9 when we moved from Helen Street.
Mr and Mrs Trimble were our neighbours as were the Patons, the Williamsons who moved to Australia, the Kiellors who lived in the next entry along as did the Spiewaks.
Vid Gray lived across the street and also the Douglas's.
Sheila was my friend and died very young, also I played with Janette Beattie. They were great times.
After my mum and dad died, I married Sandy Willocks and stayed in the same house though the Council changed the number to 31.
I also remember the Websters. They were a lovely family. Their children, Angus, Michael and Jean, used to play with my daughter Karen.
I often wonder what became of them.
freddiekruger
Wee Haggis

freddiekruger

Arbroath, Scotland
31 Posts
Last here:
25 Apr 2018
Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  7:15:20 PM Show Profile Visit freddiekruger's HomepageSend freddiekruger a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Ann, thankyou for the comment, indeed i remember the Willocks, your daughter will be around the same age as me (55),i am sure Karen's friends were Pat Gammie and Jane O'Hara. You have helped to fill in some names that i had forgotten about. Do you remember the Colliers, Ed worked in Burtons in the High St,also the Burness's who lived near the Montrose Rd end, i was friendly with their son Cammy my other friends were Neil Keillor and John Hayner. My brother Michael has asked about the guy who lived across the road on the corner of Noran Ave, he said he was the same age as us had ginger hair but had a disability.A woman at my work said that her auntie stayed in St Thomas her name was a Mrs Bell. You were wondering what happened to us well i (Angus)work at the Tool and Gear, Michael works at Merpro, Jeannie works as a nanny in Broughty Ferry and David is a painter and decorater.If you have any more info about the Crescent i would like to here more. Thanks, Angus
hayswell35
Wee Haggis

Arbroath, Scotland
20 Posts
Last here:
06 Oct 2015
Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  10:57:08 PM Show Profile Visit hayswell35's HomepageSend hayswell35 a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Angus, Ann McKay again with some more information re St Thomas Crescent.
I remember Sheila and Dave Burness and their kids. Morag who used to play with my Karen, and their son Cameron. Morag died very young.
Next to them were the Pearsons with daughters Rhona and Hazel. Rhona's son Clive used to come and play with Karen as well.
They lived in the first houses at the Montrose Road end, and then in the entry was Dave Ramsays Gran. I think he stayed there too. The Carries also stayed there, they had two boys, I think one was called Ray.
Also Frank and Helen Morrell with daughter Elaine and son Ewan. Elaine, Morag, Jeannie and Karen were all friends.
It was a good place to stay.
I have not moved far from St Thomas Crescent, and have finished up just a couple of streets away.
My daughter Karen owns Abbey Gifts on the High Street, across from the Hydro Electric.
freddiekruger
Wee Haggis

freddiekruger

Arbroath, Scotland
31 Posts
Last here:
25 Apr 2018
Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  8:01:02 PM Show Profile Visit freddiekruger's HomepageSend freddiekruger a Private Message Reply with Quote
Once again Ann thanks for the information about the Crescent, seeing the names of the family's who lived beside us has helped enormously.There is a few more that I remember, The Cargill's who lived in the same entry as the Carries. This one I am not too sure about but I vaguely remember a woman called May who was deaf and dumb and lived with the Paton's, was she a relative or did she just visit?What I do know is the granddaughter of the Paton's was Linda who would visit now and again, she eventually married Eck Cargill who owns the carpet shop up the West Port. One of my great memories of the street were the gathering of the neighbours for bon-fire night, my father would build the bonfire in his vegetable plot with the help of us kids, great memories!! Hope to hear more stories about the Crescent!
malliff
Wee Haggis

United Kingdom
1 Posts
Last here:
18 Nov 2015
Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  11:54:08 AM Show Profile Visit malliff's HomepageSend malliff a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by expatriate

Name: Charles Trimble
DOB: June, 1933.
Place of birth: Stanley Street, Arbroath.
Current Location: Wales

I attended the old Abbey School (1938 - 45) and then the High School (1945 - 48). After leaving school I was an enthusiastic member of the Fairport Wheelers Cycling Club until I joined the R.A.F. in 1951. I moved around quite a bit during my 22 years service and afterwards but have finally settled in Wales. I would dearly love to hear from anyone who remembers me from the past.

Hi Charles,

How strange life is. I've just finished entering your Father's name and address into my family tree. He was the informant of the death of his sister Margaret Ann Trimble. Your Charles was brother to my Maternal Grandmother Elizabeth McDonald Trimble known as Liz or Lizzie. She died before I was born. Well, hope to hear from you.

Regards,
Christine
lulubabe
Haggis Supper

lulubabe

United Kingdom
84 Posts
Last here:
18 Sep 2018
Posted - 23 Apr 2012 :  10:10:10 PM Show Profile Visit lulubabe's HomepageSend lulubabe a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Charlie....Louise here....we meet again. I have tried without success to trace some of the Fairport Wheelers members. Apart from May Meek I have also been unsuccessful in finding old school friends or indeed any workmates from Keith Blackman. Hope you have more success. If you do let me know. Stay in touch.
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 Forum Locked Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.5 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *