Details of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTube

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 History & Information
 Arbroath History, People and Places
 Kendale Hall  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
Johno7439
Wee Haggis

1 Posts
Last here:
24 Jul 2012
Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  3:44:25 PM Show Profile Visit Johno7439's HomepageSend Johno7439 a Private Message Reply with Quote
Can anybody tell me the history of "Kendale Hall?" I know before it is now a care home but would appreciate any info about the building.
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
21 Jan 2019
Posted - 04 Aug 2012 :  5:28:27 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Where is Kendale Hall?
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
889 Posts
Last here:
02 Mar 2019
Posted - 04 Aug 2012 :  6:29:00 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
I see from the net that Kendale Hall home addressed as Keptie Road and part of Caenlochan Gds so it must have been part of CAENLOCHAN HOUSE that was built by Arbroath Provost Sir WILLIAM CHAPEL and Lady Chapel . Their son or grandson was Arbroath Provost David CHAPEL and he was boss of David Chapel (lawyers ) trading under the name of D & W. CHAPEL , Market Place Arbroath . This lawyers firm is now the "newish" offices of the Arbroath Herald beside the Pend in arbroath and next to the old Arbroath Guide offices !

The Arbroath Year book for 1955-56 shows David Chapel at GALLOWDEN FARM arbroath and also LADY CHAPEL resided at CAENLOCHAN , Keptie Road ,ARBROATH

When I was a wee boy in primary 2 I was invited to a birthday party for Mary Chapel at Gallowden Farm arbroath ..

p

keptie
rembrandt
Wee Haggis

Arbroath, Scotland
3 Posts
Last here:
10 Dec 2018
Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  9:37:19 PM Show ProfileSend rembrandt a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi there, if you're still looking for information I can tell you everything you need to know. I lived at Caenlochan for 11 years. The information's not bad but inaccurate, it was built by the previous generation of my family. Be glad to be of any helpsmile
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
21 Jan 2019
Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  4:59:47 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Can you tell me when Caenlochan was built and by whom, and where does the name come from. Thanks
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 22 Mar 2015 :  4:10:54 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcol

Can you tell me when Caenlochan was built and by whom, and where does the name come from. Thanks

Dunno when it was built Marcol, but the Chapel family were living there in 1890 from newspapers i've seen.
I'd imagine the name comes from Caenlochan up Glen Isla.

Derek.
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
21 Jan 2019
Posted - 22 Mar 2015 :  9:57:27 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Derek, Thanks for the info, pity rembrant didn't come back with more details as she obviously had a lot of family knowledge?
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 23 Mar 2015 :  4:09:18 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hopefuly rembrant will pop back to inform us more of the building.

An interesting article in the November 1881 Dundee Courier relates that a local man, Mr Michie, raised with the council the right of way that existed between Cairnie Toll house and Keptie that was now being blocked by the new housing built by Caenlochan house. The path went through Keptie woods and came out by the side of Caenlochan House. The result was after an investigation by the provost the right of way would be kept, but it had to be manoeuvered around the new development.

That is why there is a gap between the last of the houses at Caenlochan gardens, otherwise there'd be no Lochlands Drive!

A biography of the David Chapel who presumably built Caenlochan. He died in 1914.

rembrandt
Wee Haggis

Arbroath, Scotland
3 Posts
Last here:
10 Dec 2018
Posted - 10 Dec 2018 :  10:44:06 PM Show ProfileSend rembrandt a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi there, just got back to this after many years so can now update the information if anybody is interested. Caenlochan was built by my great great grandfather David Chapel, a solicitor and councillor of Arbroath. He Married Mary Ann Corsar, a member of the Corsar mill family. Many houses in Arbroath were built from the money generated from the Corsar mills, amongst them being The Elms and what was the Seaforth before it burnt down. Mary Ann's dowry from the this side of the family is what built Caenlochan. It remained in the family until I was 11 years old, that being until 1983 where it became impossible to manage such a large property. Many of my family lived there including my Great Grandfather Sir William Chapel, ex provost and Lady Laura from whom I inherited my name. Lady Laura lived there alone for many years and while my Grandfather David Chapel, also ex provost of Arbroath was at Gallowden farm. My mum and her sisters used to go there to look after her after my great grandfather passed away. After her death my grandfather moved in, with me included and I spent an idyllic childhood there exploring the house and the gardens. Many people think it was the Chapel side of my family, who were sea captains before they all became lawyers and councillors, that built the property but the money in fact came from my great great grandmother, something I am very proud of. It was built in 1865 and the architect was William Aitkenhead, a renowned architect who left his mark on many buildings throughout Arbroath. I grew up with large potraits in the dining room of my family anscenstors and was taught the history of them by my grandpa while having meals. It was a mixture of Corsar and Chapel. My mum who sadly passed away recently wanted me to carry on the family history, which I 'm working on and that's why I've written this today. I hope this information is useful to anyone who is interested. #128522;
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
21 Jan 2019
Posted - 11 Jan 2019 :  7:53:19 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Do you have any photos of Gallowden Farm, I would be interested to see them as my great grandfather was the tenant in 1905
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.39 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *