A select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture gallery

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Off Topic banter
 SIGN OF THE TIMES?  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 22 Sep 2012 :  11:29:16 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
In today's Courier, there is a report stating that a bus company has decided not to take any more bookings for conveying wedding guests from receptions. In fact, several of their existing bookings are not being honoured. This is all down to the anti-social and agressive behaviour of individuals towards the bus drivers. For example, one person kicked the bus door in because the driver wouldnt drop him off right at his door! I cant believe that adults would behave like this - where is all this aggression coming from? Is it a case of the old saying "When drink's in, wit's oot"? Bus drivers and taxi drivers these days have their work cut out.
Planter
Master Smokie

Planter

USA
1266 Posts
Last here:
26 Dec 2015
Posted - 23 Sep 2012 :  12:13:20 AM Show Profile Visit Planter's HomepageSend Planter a Private Message Reply with Quote
Nope. Some people just have no ability to take personal responsability. Euthenasia is too good for them....

Planter

For, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 23 Sep 2012 :  03:50:01 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Aye... we widnae get any hot rolls and jam after the Marine nowadays 'cos of all the idiots about.. The bakery door would be locked!!

No zero tolerance nowadays.. Back then if you were "noisy", immediately arrested for drunk/disorderly.. If you tripped up going home a good chance of arrest for drunk/incapable.. Yes we did have some odds/sods of bother but not a lot.. certainly very little mindless vandalism.. No arguements with a bus driver as you respected his authority but mainly 'cos you did not want to walk home!!!

Back in our day we had more police walking about Arbroath, outside the Marine, etc., than we do nowadays. If there was an "incident" involving a bus gettin kicked they would immediately attend.. If they could'n't then the culprit would get a knock on his door not long after.. Nowadays no chance.. but you do get a crime number for your insurance!!!

The police appear to have no answer to this problem.. Yes Flinstone a definite "Sign of the Times".

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 24 Sep 2012 :  03:21:30 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
As always the minority ruins it for the majority.
I think that because minor crimes are so rarely punished nowadays unfortunately, read the press for examples, some people feel/know they can get away with bad behaviour.

Derek.
zzTop
Wee Haggis

zzTop

29 Posts
Last here:
06 Sep 2012
Posted - 24 Sep 2012 :  9:18:27 PM Show Profile Visit zzTop's HomepageSend zzTop a Private Message Reply with Quote
I hate to sound like my dad, but this all happened when they stopped allowing teachers to punish unruly children with the belt and cops from clipping you round the ear. Before this happened, there was an ingrained respect (or fear) of adults, now there is nothing but contempt. Kids have all the power in school now.

When I were a lad (cue Monty Python Sketch), if I misbehaved, I'd get an (admittedly rubbish) cane across my palms. When I grew up I rebelled through music like the previous generations. You can tell kids don't need to rebel any more based on how un-angry the current music is.

Fair enough physical violence was not a great solution, but as I alluded to earlier, it wasn't the pain that was the deterrent, it was the humiliation of being caned that worked.

So bring back public humiliation. Stocks outside the schools. Instead of detention, have the wee bar-stewards locked up in front of everyone to laugh at. The same should apply to adults. Stick them in stocks outside the courts.

If we do this, we might start getting nice rebellious music again so that we can tell the kids we did it all before and they aren't being original at all, just like it used to be when I went home with my Stranglers Album on a Saturday.

I shouldn't post after I've been drinking... big grin
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  12:02:09 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Great ZZ.. not a more truer word.. I remember the kids that got the "toosh" most and it scared the sh*t out of all the rest of us.. It did not save us but we certainly tried to avoid things that would end up in punishment..

However I must add that some teachers did administer punishment for things that did not warrant punishment.. e.g. lack of understanding what was being taught.. I saw many of my classmates punished for what some would say as "being thick" and they were far from being so... We did have teachers that were "bullies" or even worse in my day.

Corporal punishment for the under 21's is definitely an acceptable practice to my mind.. If properly supervised!!
P.S. 12 midnight and the pub was great!!!

Terrymac
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  8:23:24 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Again, in today's Courier, another act of wanton destruction at the newly finished play area at the Common? If the vandals are identified, and apprehended, just what punishment will be meted out to them? I think their brains (if they have any) should be removed and analysed to see just what it is that makes these people behave in this way. They obviously dont have enough going on in their own pitiful existences if they have to spoil things for everyone else. To the Tower with the lot of them!!
8ball
Wee Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
311 Posts
Last here:
23 May 2016
Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  9:04:01 PM Show Profile Visit 8ball's HomepageSend 8ball a Private Message Reply with Quote
what will happen is they will get a 2 week holiday in the tropics and yet more money from us taxpayers.2 many do bloody gooders i think
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  9:27:34 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
You're right there - 2 hundred years ago, they would have been sent on the holiday of a lifetime to Botany Bay....one way!!
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  08:53:54 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
A small coastal holiday town called Cleethorpes, near me, has a locally well known fountain/statue of "The boy with the Leaking Boot", donated to the town way back in 1918.... It has been stolen/vandalised three times over the last six years... It has withstood everything the British weather could throw at it for nearly 100 years but it appears, where ever you are in the UK, we have this "sign of the times" with vandalism being carried out by mindless morons... It has just been replaced with a fence/barrier to protect it from further attacks.. see this : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-19797004

Terrymac
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  6:22:09 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
An electrified fence would be more like it. I'd just like to know what it is that makes these cretins think they can do these things and get away with it. Examples should be made of them. Make them walk the streets with great big letter "V"'s on their backs. No, that's too good.
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4397 Posts
Last here:
24 Mar 2019
Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  8:02:49 PM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
Dear me.. what a shame, just don't get what is wrong with some people. Courier story about the new play park - http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Angus/article/25175/vandals-ruin-arbroath-playpark-two-days-after-its-completion.html

David Spink
ScottishRose
Wee Smokie

ScottishRose

Scotland
291 Posts
Last here:
30 Sep 2015
Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  8:14:12 PM Show Profile Visit ScottishRose's HomepageSend ScottishRose a Private Message Reply with Quote
Sad isn't it? sad This was repaired this morning though.

Laura xx
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 07 Oct 2012 :  5:22:35 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
I walked past today and it was mobbed, looks really good and like the young uns enjoy it very much. The only sign of damage was the big concrete thing as reported. it didn't take away from it though.

Derek.
ScottishRose
Wee Smokie

ScottishRose

Scotland
291 Posts
Last here:
30 Sep 2015
Posted - 07 Oct 2012 :  8:10:38 PM Show Profile Visit ScottishRose's HomepageSend ScottishRose a Private Message Reply with Quote
My daughter loves it! They just need to put something where the old one was, for the older kids. Skate park maybe?

Laura xx
Lucylastic
Wee Haggis

41 Posts
Last here:
17 Nov 2017
Posted - 08 Oct 2012 :  3:43:08 PM Show Profile Visit Lucylastic's HomepageSend Lucylastic a Private Message Reply with Quote
Are the new wood sculptures there yet? I can't wait to see them and take a few photos .... before the vandals get to them sad
ScottishRose
Wee Smokie

ScottishRose

Scotland
291 Posts
Last here:
30 Sep 2015
Posted - 08 Oct 2012 :  4:36:35 PM Show Profile Visit ScottishRose's HomepageSend ScottishRose a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yes they're up. They're really good!

Laura xx
Lucylastic
Wee Haggis

41 Posts
Last here:
17 Nov 2017
Posted - 08 Oct 2012 :  5:16:55 PM Show Profile Visit Lucylastic's HomepageSend Lucylastic a Private Message Reply with Quote
Brilliant! I'll pop down tomorrow and get some shots, thanks smile
JoseToledo
Wee Haggis

1 Posts
Last here:
11 Dec 2014
Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  06:08:32 AM Show ProfileSend JoseToledo a Private Message Reply with Quote
Some people says that public shaming should be done if the crime is minor but if the committed crime is severe, public shaming is not a fit punishment for the criminals because the person will do it again. There is also a growing movement to start shaming bad drivers. Get a cash advance to pay for your ticket if you get in trouble for something.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 02 Jan 2015 :  09:55:22 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Sign of the times- driving home from a Hogmanay Party at Piperdam, (very enjoyable and exoensive, but what isn't these days?) we tried to locate some Scottish music on the radio at about 1am. Zilch! Not a bagpipe skirl, accordion note or Scottish song. Radio Tay used to have a pre-recorded Hogmanay show in years gone by, but the nearest we got was that souped up version of Andy Stewart singing aboot Donald and his lack o' breeks. Oh for the auld days wi' sing songs, the mannie up the stairs play in' the spoons, and gettin' seek on raspberry cordial. The party at Piperdam, which was a family affair with everyone taking their kids, had a duo singing, and although they were pleasant enough, they didna dae Scottish. A definite sign of the times- they still portray Hogmanay as Scottish, but there is nothing Scottish left for us oldies to enjjoy. Shame.
Pensioner busybody
Wee Smokie

United Kingdom
204 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 02 Jan 2015 :  4:59:06 PM Show ProfileSend Pensioner busybody a Private Message Reply with Quote
Couldn't agree more Wilma. The young ones really don't know what they're missing, do they. I love the sound of the pipes, and at one place I worked, my colleague's mother taught the pipes in various schools in Hampshire and Surrey, showing that it's still In demand. We had a mannie playing the accordion just outside the shopping precinct, and everyone was foot tapping. He played The Muckin' o' Geordie's Byre at my request. Sadly, I've never see him there again.
Page: of 2Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.59 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *