Arbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connection

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 General Arbroath Chatter
 The butcher's boy  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pétanque
Haggis Supper (with extra sauce)

France
169 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  8:10:33 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Reading some of the posts reminds me of the happy times I spent as a butchers boy in the 60's. I worked for Hugh Robertson in Guthrie Port and then JIm Cargill. They were hard but happy times. My many memories include collecting the offal from the slaughter house weekly. I used to pack my message bike basket with the skinned head on top, pointing forward, just for devilment, until complaints earned me a telling off and had to cover it with a sack. I also remember overcoming the problem of delivering meat to customers who were still asleep in bed. I devised the method of flattening the package to feed it through the letter box (worked best with mince). I have many more stories to tell of these happy times, have told them to friends at dinner parties who stare in disbelief, but, its all true! Hope you find them amusing, Gary
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2249 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  9:00:01 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
In another thread Stan D. asked the recipe for Scotch Pies any idea???

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Pétanque

France
169 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  9:04:26 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Sorry Terry, I could not possibly comment!!!
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2607 Posts
Last here:
6 days ago
Posted - 18 Feb 2013 :  03:14:48 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Gary doesn't need to break his vow of silence of the butchers brotherhood rolling on the floor
I've a good pal who has been in the butcher business for 60 years, i'll get to the bottom of the mystery...

Derek.
stan
Senior Smokie

stan

Canada
791 Posts
Last here:
20 Aug 2014
Posted - 18 Feb 2013 :  5:42:11 PM Show Profile Visit stan's HomepageSend stan a Private Message Reply with Quote
a mystery indeed!! all the online recipes mention is "seasoning" mmmmmmm its more than salt and pepper Im sure :-)
stan
Senior Smokie

stan

Canada
791 Posts
Last here:
20 Aug 2014
Posted - 18 Feb 2013 :  5:45:42 PM Show Profile Visit stan's HomepageSend stan a Private Message Reply with Quote
Actually you've given me an idea!!!! Dave Hodgens was a buthers lad and a butcher(now at Perimax) Maybe ill drop him a line see if he'll "give it up"? big grin
Pétanque

France
169 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 18 Feb 2013 :  6:11:03 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
This thread is becoming a bag of mince !!!
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2249 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 18 Feb 2013 :  7:31:52 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Ha ha Ha!! and I thought you would enjoy it.. especially all these "stories" that you can tell us that you have related at Dinner Parties in the past..big grin
MMMMMMMMMMMMM mince and tatties my favourite.

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
8ball
Wee Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
292 Posts
Last here:
25 Aug 2014
Posted - 18 Feb 2013 :  11:00:52 PM Show Profile Visit 8ball's HomepageSend 8ball a Private Message Reply with Quote
Scotch Pies..and Scotch eggs..are they the same?
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
292 Posts
Last here:
6 days ago
Posted - 18 Feb 2013 :  11:06:49 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
OH My "collecting the offal from the slaughter" brought back so many memories from my days delivering for Charlie Fleming. (A wee heavy and a nip per day man.) My Offal trips were awful, I also had to make that dreaded weekly 'trip for tripe'. The stomachs were stored in a large 50 gallon stoneware drum with a running tap over it, we message boys had to reach into the freezing water to remove the Offal ourselves and then into the delivery bike's basket it would go. My trips from the slaughter hoose up to Ponder Law were made miserable with chilly water dripping all over my legs.

Charlie was as many of you will remember A RICHT CHARACTER, his chalk message boards 'a must read' for passers by and his banter with the ladies hilarious. those were great days for me, I worked hard and was conscientious, but in those days you HAD to work hard or you were gone.

I think the worst thing that ever happened to me during my time with Flemings was when Charlie told me to take a board filled with steak pies, steak bridies and Sausage rolls down to Bills shoppie doon on Ladyloan. I removed the wicker basket from the bike and laid the wooden bakers board of lovely smelling pastries across the metal rails in front of the bike and off I went pedaling down Ponderlaw. I was just passing Wollies Kirk Square door when a dog ran out in front of me. I swerved fast which caused the tray of wonderful smelling goodies to take off in the opposite direction and skite across Kirk Square. I have no idea were all these other dogs came from but the battle was on as I tried to salvage as many gritty pastries as I could. It must have been a hilarious sight for the wifies oot shopping, but Charlie was non plussed about the whole thing, he wisnae laughin.

A New Years Resolution; something that goes in one year and out the other.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2607 Posts
Last here:
6 days ago
Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  03:55:20 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 8ball

Scotch Pies..and Scotch eggs..are they the same?

They are exactly the same, except one's made of mince and the other's an egg tongue
I love scotch eggs, full size naturally. Nane o' the wee wans!

Derek.
Pétanque

France
169 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  07:28:08 AM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Brian, thank you for your memories, you clearly discribed the many challenges faced by the butchers boy in the late 50s - early 60s. I enjoyed your stories, did you also have to collect the bucket of blood for the black puddings? Regards, Gary
Hamilton Booker
Wee Haggis

Hamilton Booker

15 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  4:29:20 PM Show ProfileSend Hamilton Booker a Private Message Reply with Quote
I was a message boy for the Co-opey Paint and Decoration shop on Guthrie Port. Wallpaper books, boxes of tiles, tins of paint - but also the horrible, horrible, stinking 1, 2 and 5 gallon cans of parrafin. I'd get home reekin' of the stuff. Those who know me will know I was no skinnymalink, but I often had to put all my weight on the back edge of the saddle to keep the bike from coupin' ower. But I soon graduated to the Co-opey Drapery store on the High Street. Me doing the east of the town, Harry the Hutch doing the west. Half the work, cleaner work, all for more money. Couple of hours on Sat morning, then Cadmans for a game of Continental.
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
292 Posts
Last here:
6 days ago
Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  5:40:44 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pétanque

Brian, thank you for your memories, you clearly discribed the many challenges faced by the butchers boy in the late 50s - early 60s. I enjoyed your stories, did you also have to collect the bucket of blood for the black puddings? Regards, Gary

Gary,
Thankfully I never had to "collect the blood bucket." If I did I must have purged it from my memory. I can't imagine how hard that would have been transporting a bucket with any liquid, BUT BLOOD oh my goodness I bet you walked a lot on that trip.
Picking up the liver and kidneys was more than enough for me.

I had a real good laugh reading your mince through the letterbox idea, WOW what an ingenious idea. I was never that resourceful Gary, but knowing my luck there probably would have been a dog waiting behind the door.

I was also tasked to help Charlie in the back shop. I cubed the meat to drop into the washing machine sized Potted Hoch boiler and have the knife scar on my first finger to prove it. Tripe was prepared much the same way and boiled in that same boiler. I learned how to pluck a chicken, mind you I hated that! I spent many an evening hard brushing the butchers block with a stiff wire brush. I have to say I was fair chuffed when I learned how to properly spread the sawdust on the butcher shop floor, now that's an art.
There was a job (actually there were two) that even today makes me cringe. Cleaning the cold meat slicer, and once I thought about it cleaning the mincer, scary after hearing all the horror stories about butchers being sliced and diced from my chuckling boss.

Which reminds me the odd story about the butcher who got his arse stuck in his mince machine and had to close shop to go to the hospital. He apologized to his customers for getting a little behind in his orders. winking

Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
292 Posts
Last here:
6 days ago
Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  6:34:47 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hamilton,
Do you mean Harry Hucheson who lived on St Vigeans Rd? If so Harry was a close friend thought my teens and the 3rd Arbroath Scouts. Harry along with Neil Ritchie and myself used to sing McCalmans songs at the Arbroath Folk Club in the Windmill.

Your last name Booker caught my interest. Back in the 60's and the 3rd Scouts were two Dundee boys who's family moved down to the toon, their dad (if I remember correctly) was a sheet metal instructor at Condor. Bill and Alan Booker were both strapping big (High School) rugby players, nobody would want to mess with the Bookers, but these boys were the salt of the earth, as were their parents and sister. I wonder what ever became of them.
Any relation?

Pétanque

France
169 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  8:04:32 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Brian, the potted hoch boiler, oh I had forgotten about that, wonderful, wonderful memories. And Hamilton I remember the Co-op paint and decor shop, right across from the chippy (zacherinis I think). Just down from Hugh Roberson the butcher, a lovely man, when it rained he took me out in the van with deliveries rather than send me out on the bike. I also remember being given a mug of tea and a bacon roll on arrival for work every morning, such luxury for a skinny little runt like me. Guthrie Port was a busy place in those days with lots of busy small businesses. Thank you both for evoking such memories.
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
292 Posts
Last here:
6 days ago
Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  10:11:16 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Gary, see if this loosens up more memories for ya.
One thing that imprinted in my memory during my delivery days as a butchers boy with both Flemings and Monroe Butchers (on the High St) and pre-dating that i was delivering papers for a lovely couple The Browns (their shoppie was also on the High St but across from Tom Clarks,) that would be the smells of breakfast cooking when I walked up darkened stairs or closes with my torch flickering a yellow lit path ahead. Toast was the most common aroma of those early mornings but bacon and eggs had to top the list as the #1 killer smell of all smells for a starving wee boy on those chilly Arbroath mornings.

I also have an equally strong recollections and lifetime imprint of the sounds of my smoking customers hacking and coughing their lungs out each and every morning, their discomfort filling many a tenement stairwell with a crescendo of sounds from behind their locked doors, to this day THIS memory is the reason I don't smoke.

BTW Gary, thanks for reminding me of Zacherini's and their antique chip fryer......mmmmm I loved their fritters.

flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1266 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  11:28:14 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Gary - your butcher mannie in Guthrie Port was Doug Robertson, One of his assistants (Lawson Ogg, nicknamed Spider) was a pal of my cousin, Sandy Findlay (older brother of George (Speesh). I remember all the sides of beef hanging in the shop - if the shop was busy, folk were pressed up against them. Wouldnt be allowed today. I laughed about you putting the mince through the letter box - did you thread the sausages through as well? Cant believe you were "horsing" around with meat all those years ago!
Pétanque

France
169 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  11:40:29 AM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Flintstone, you are right, it was Doug Robertson, although it was always Mr Robertson to me in those days. Brian, your memories capture the moments so well, I can almost hear them (and smell them). I do think those hard days, and they were hard for me, shape the rest of your life in terms of work ethic, respect for others and humility. I look back on those days fondly now and often wonder what happened to the people involved. Flintstone, you may remember, Jim Cargill had a young apprentice butcher called Willie Wilson, a shy lad, not sure what happened to him when Jim gave up his business, he had a younger brother called Robert who I think was in my class at Parkie but I might be wrong about that. Brian, yes, I remember the fritters from Zac's, only made them once a week I think. Regards to all. G.
Hamilton Booker
Wee Haggis

Hamilton Booker

15 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  4:38:48 PM Show ProfileSend Hamilton Booker a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yes Brian, I'm one of those Bookers of the 3rd Arbroath, under the expert tutelage of Johnny Mathers and before that Ralph (Thompson?). I've sent you a private message via the Shoppie.

Another memory of message boy operations - me and Harry Hutchison (and no doubt many others) would take our half ton message bikes home and use them to get to school the next morning. We'd cycle up the access into the High School and ride them hard at the sandstone wall of the South Wing, before jumping off and seeing how big a sandstone lump we could break off as the indestructable bikes slammed into the wall. Shameful, I know, but a few years ago we went and had a little inspection. There's still enough evidence for a conviction.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1266 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  6:53:33 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Gary - I remember Cargill the Butchers on the corner of Grant Road/Brechin Road, but I cant remember any assistant by the name of Wilson. Only one I remember (I think he worked there) was Bill Cherrington, Arbroath's Paul McCartney lookalike! Sadly, Bill passed away just before Christmas after suffering from a Parkinson's related illness. Aged 62....
Page: of 14Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2012 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 1.54 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *