All about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractions

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 General Arbroath Chatter
 The butcher's boy  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pétanque
Haggis Supper (with extra sauce)

France
158 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  7:25:40 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Oh Flintstone, Cherry and I were great pals. I don't remember him working for JIm Cargill but I might be wrong. He was an apprentice mechanic at Lambs garage, next to Gayfield. We moved on, lost touch and I think he joined the RAF. So sorry to hear of his passing. We used to be out on our bikes most evenings around Arbroath. Another story locals might find interesting, on the day the Tay Road Bridge was officially opened by the Queen Mother, Cherry, myself and another pal Alan Marnie (now living in Australia) decided to bike from Arbroath and cycle across the bridge to FIfe. Traffic in those days was light but it was a long way for a wee runt like me, glad I did it though, I have some photos somewhere, must try and find them. Thank you for the information, all be it sad. Regards Gary.
8ball
Wee Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
290 Posts
Last here:
12 Jul 2014
Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  8:31:32 PM Show Profile Visit 8ball's HomepageSend 8ball a Private Message Reply with Quote
Can Any one remember Dave Willson the Gafir @ the West Port.. What a great man he was.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1252 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  8:37:07 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Gary - he worked at Lamb's when my brother Peem worked there - Peem was an apprentice storeman. Cherry joined the RAF and was in for many years, before settling in Montrose with his family. His sister, Mary, is married to my husband's brother, so we have a sort of family connection.I will ask her about him working for Cargill's . I remember when I was still at the High School, Bill got his photo in "Jackie" magazine, because some girls had submitted it, seeing him as a local heartthrob and Paul McCartney lookalike. Bill's mother is still on the go, at the age of 92. On the subject of the butchers, when you think of it, there were a good few butchers in the locality of Guthrie Port/Brechin Road/Fisheracre - Doug's, Cargill's, the Copey and Grimmmond and Russell. Butchers, chipshops and pubs!
Hamilton Booker
Wee Haggis

Hamilton Booker

15 Posts
Last here:
07 Apr 2014
Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  10:33:06 AM Show ProfileSend Hamilton Booker a Private Message Reply with Quote
The nicknames in themselves evoke memories. Peem, Speesh, Tweetie, Chae, Twinnie, Alicky. Are they still used in Arbroath these days?
Pétanque

France
158 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  11:50:45 AM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yes there were a lot of butchers in close proximity. I had forgotten about the one at the Co-op. was there a supermarket in the middle and a chemist and the butchers with separate entrances on either end. I suppose competition was fierce, looking back I Think it was hard for Jim (Cargill). I remember we used to supply the pie meat to a few of the bakers. Pie Bob, Bill Rennie and Arthur Masson (Masson's the bakers at Smithy Croft I think, is that right Flintstone? I remember the 6am delivery to Masson's, They had a close up the side of the shop to the bakehouse, you would arrive with the mince on a freezing morning, open the door to another world, baking smellls and most of all heat, I can smell it now. Forgive me for my nostalgic ramblings but they seem more important to me now somehow. Gary.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2543 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  12:35:34 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hamilton Booker

The nicknames in themselves evoke memories. Peem, Speesh, Tweetie, Chae, Twinnie, Alicky. Are they still used in Arbroath these days?

I certainly know of folk called Peem, Speesh and Chae, mibby Alicky sounds too much like alcky!

Derek.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1252 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  10:17:53 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Gary - the Copey butcher, the grocery, and the chemist, were, as you say, all in a row in a wee sort of alcove at Fisheracre. In between "The Ploo" and Cuthill's newsagents. Pie Bob's was on the corner down from The Ploo and Cargill the butcher was diagonally opposite Pie Bob's. Directly opposite Pie Bob's was Tammy Walker's chipper (next to the phone box) and the Milk Machine! Masson the bakers was on the same side as Pie Bob's, but further along Barngreen. We used to go there for the rolls for the pieces at the tattie time. Seems like yesterday. It is good to keep the memories alive, and this site is just the place to do it. Incidentally, the aforementioned Copey butcher no longer occupies the Fisheracre site - it is presently occupied by none other than DH Robertson Ltd !! Doug himself died a few years back, but the present owner kept the name - I dont know if he ever worked for Doug, or just bought the business from him. The firm supply the pies for the home games at Gayfield, and, coincidence or what, Mike Cargill,the son of your other auld boss,Jim Cargill, is a coach and board member of Arbroath FC. Gary, what a set of connections!!! And all because the laddie was a butcher's boy........
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2217 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  12:03:02 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Brian.. Your days at Flemings in Ponderlaw.. Am I imagining it but was their a stainless steel (or chromed) rail that ran from the front door where you hung either a full or half beast on a hook and pushed it through to the back for butchering?

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
8ball
Wee Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
290 Posts
Last here:
12 Jul 2014
Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  8:10:45 PM Show Profile Visit 8ball's HomepageSend 8ball a Private Message Reply with Quote
Many a Friday and Saturday night
after a visit 2 the Zoo.you auld people would call it the Marine Ballroom.We young upstarts would pop into Flemings at Ponderlaw and go upstairs and have some pies.Happy days.
Charlie Fleming Mike Flyn.and all them auld people were/are great men.
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
286 Posts
Last here:
28 Jun 2014
Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  8:41:13 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Terry: You question about the rail really challenged the grey areas of my memory. My first reaction was, I don't remember that, but the more I thought of it I vaguely recall a rail running from the walk in cooler and turning into the front shop from there it gets foggy. I never was given that jobbie so it never imprinted on memory.

Mark: You shocked me with that one, I'm not sure that Charlie sanctioned back door sales after the dancin. Now you have got me thinking; maybe in later years after Charlie's sudden death, possibly someone realized that extra business was to be had late night. Of course you would only be talking about Friday nights, with the shoppie closed on Sundays there would be no baking on Saturday night.
If you were upstairs in Flemings you will remember that the roof was only 4 1/2ft from the floor (if that). I remember that I had to bend over and I was only 13. Charlie had found a wee baker that amazingly was able to work standing straight up.

A New Years Resolution; something that goes in one year and out the other.
Pétanque

France
158 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  9:03:48 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Brian, I cant comment on late night pie fests either, I can only remember jam rolls from Peter Smith the bakers in the early hours. I did not know the Marine Ballroom was referred to as 'The Zoo'. Find that a bit sad actually, but, I am an old fogey! I have fond memories of The Marine with it's Big Band. I graduated to the Marine from the dances at the Mayflower Hall, anyone remember them?
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
286 Posts
Last here:
28 Jun 2014
Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  9:49:27 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Oh yes Gary, wha hasnae stood in line ootisde Pete Smiths for amazing warm jam rolls, it was like a right of passage. Now when it came to bridies, Arthur Burnett beat everyone hands down. Craig Burnett was a Hayshead classmate, as was Janice Low who's parents ran the Mayflower dances, I think we all came of age at the Mayflower. Even today when I hear certain tunes from the 60's I am instantly transported to the Mayflower Hall. What happy times.

Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2217 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  10:40:33 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
I went to the YMCA hall "teeny bopper" dances first and then started going to Mayflower Hall when Bert ran it for us "teeny boppers"...(we were not old enough for The Marine).... I particularly remember the YMCA just before Xmas 1963 and The Dave Clark Five record "Glad All Over" had just been released.. Now that was a real foot stompin record.. It knocked the Beatles of No.1 spot in January 1964 (I Wanna Hold Your Hand").. Then there was the Sea Cadet Hall as well.. Pretty sure Stan D. played there in his group.
Yup, my computer is full of 60's songs with The Beatles still being my favourite with all others a close second..

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1252 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  2:21:43 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Brian - Janice was a work colleague of mine from the late 60's, when we worked at Rosebrae, Arbroath Infirmary in the admin. offices. Sadly Janice passed away a few months ago after a few years of illness. She was a lovely person, and I was so glad that she found and married Glen in later life. The Mayflower Hall - that was where I heard the Supremes first hit - Where did our love go? I'm sure it was the anthem of many a teenage girl who attended those dances after seeing the object of their affections ask somebody else "up the road" (probably via Peter Smith's for a jam roll). I dont know how we heard the music as there was no fantoosh speaker system, and the place was hoaching every week. All the girls dancing in their wee groups while the lads walked round the floor eyeing up the talent. A tap on the shoulder indicated that somebody requested your participation in a shuffle roond the flair.
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
286 Posts
Last here:
28 Jun 2014
Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  3:53:33 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Oh dear flintstone, I am so sorry to hear that Janice passed away, I seem to remember Janice was sickly during her youth. I agree with you, Janice was a nice person and I'm glad to hear that she found a nice man. Was Janice not married once before?

A bit of an oxymoron isn't it? a nice man.

Re the boys circling and then that tap on the shoulder, you have no idea how terrifying that few steps into the circle of girls was for a wee boy. The fear of rejection kept many a suitor lurking at a safe distance hoping to make eye contact and at least get some kind of signal before risking the walk. It felt like all eyes were on you as you asked, "Dance?."
Maybe it would have helped to say, 'I have my wheels parked ootside.' The butchers bike.big grin

exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
588 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  5:03:01 PM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
I went to the YM young teenager's dances in the Red Triangle hut before graduating to the "big leagues" at the Marine and also to the record hop at the Marine on Monday nights....I still remember it cost one and sixpence to get in and my Gran insisted on giving me the entrance money each week, even though by then I was a wage earner smile If I refused to take it she'd give it to my mother for me, making sure that mum knew it was "For the bairn" I wish I was somebody's bairn even nowadays at times...they were carefree times for sure and of course we thought we had big problems if "HE" didn't ask us up to dance !!
cicero
Haggis Supper

cicero

Arbroath, Scotland
71 Posts
Last here:
28 Jun 2014
Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  6:15:29 PM Show Profile Visit cicero's HomepageSend cicero a Private Message Reply with Quote
I also remember going to the dancing at the Templars the Sea Cadet hall at the top of Hume Street across from Inverbrothock church now long gone.
Pétanque

France
158 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  9:02:22 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thanks to the wonders of modern technology we enjoy BBC Scotland here in deepest darkest France. Tonight I fired up my gas powered telly to watch the reincarnation of BBC Food and Drink. The program featured food nostalgia with a prat of a reporter slating old fashioned food. However the footage of him kicking a replica of my beloved old message bike left me incensed (eat your heart out Victor Meldrew) He took a bite out of the equivalent of a Forfar Bridie and all but spat it out. This was a public school prat projecting how refined he is.... God I am getting old!!
Hamilton Booker
Wee Haggis

Hamilton Booker

15 Posts
Last here:
07 Apr 2014
Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  12:28:57 PM Show ProfileSend Hamilton Booker a Private Message Reply with Quote
Ah,the Mayflower. The memories come flooding back. Jeff Beck's 'Hi Ho Silver Lining', Jimmy Coullie and Franny Wills dressed up in 'Hippy Gear' i.e. kaftan and beads. The boys sat reading the Pink Sporting Post. And Brian - a memory that you may have pushed to the far recesses - the sight of you going backwards through a large plate glass window, after some clown jumped on you just after leaving the Mayflower. I recall you were shaken but, amazingly, not badly hurt, but what happened to the numpty who did it?
8ball
Wee Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
290 Posts
Last here:
12 Jul 2014
Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  3:59:40 PM Show Profile Visit 8ball's HomepageSend 8ball a Private Message Reply with Quote
It was no back door sales at Flemings after the marine ballroom my uncle Charlie didnt mind me having a pie on the way home every now and then,my mother is his sister.Mind you if uncle Bill ever found out he would blow his top. And before you ask yes i am the person who drove the west port van into Gregs Ferrari.8>(
Page: of 14Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2012 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.59 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *