Famous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about Arbroath

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 History & Information
 Arbroath History, People and Places
 Pte W Anderson 31 Green St Arbroath WW1  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
737 Posts
Last here:
19 Aug 2014
Posted - 26 Jul 2013 :  8:31:53 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
The Black Watch forum website shows a photo of Pte W ANDERSON , Black Watch in his kilted uniform of WW1 and the website shows also two postcards ( FIELD SERVICE POSTCARDS ) requiring only the bits to be kept in the reply home such as I am quite well , letter follows at first opportunity and signed W Anderson but no service number . The two postcards are to MRS ANDERSON , 31 GREEN STREET ARBROATH from FPO no 53 and dated 28th December 1916 and the other from FPO no 12 dated 11th July 1917

The Arbroath year book for 1922 shows ANDERSON , Wm , mason , 31 Green St Arbroath

This must be this Black Watch soldier who posted home to Mrs Anderson the two Field Service postcards during 1916 and 1917.

I can not see him listed in the book: 1914- 1918 ARBROATH'S ROLL OF HONOUR published by The Herald Office Arbroath 1919 as this book lists the Casualties , the Honours awarded and the men who served & survived that War from 4 August 1914 to 11 November 1918 and Pte Wm Anderson of 31 Green St Arbroath is not listed in this book on the men who went off to war and returned

Any info please on this Black Watch soldier of the Great War ???

pwa

keptie
Carnbo Lad
Wee Haggis

Scotland
10 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  1:23:11 PM Show ProfileSend Carnbo Lad a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi,

From the 3000+ individuals I have indentified from Arbroath and surrounding districts I have found six called William Anderson, two of whom were killed and served at one time in the Black Watch. The first I know very little about other than the fact that according to Soldiers Died in the Great War he was born in Arbroath. His service number was 350912.

The other man, who I think is the person you have found, is William Thomas Carr Anderson and he was the son of William Anderson of 31 Green Street, Arbroath. He was married and had been living at 21 Fergus Street, Arbroath and had been born in Australia. There is an entry about him the “Roll of Honour Arbroath and District” which was printed by T. Buncle & Co. which gives all the details. His army number for the Black Watch was S/12867 and for the Royal Scots 39163.
In February last year there was a couple of photos for sale on ebay which according to the vender came from an “Album belonging to a family called Anderson who had lived at Green Street, Arbroath” I think the individual is George Anderson who was the younger brother of William. He enlisted into the Forfar Battery of the Royal field Artillery on the 3rd June 1915 but did not go over to fight until 1918. The other photo is a family group with I suspect William Anderson senior, his wife Cecilia and family.
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
737 Posts
Last here:
19 Aug 2014
Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  11:39:40 AM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thanks Carnbo Lad for that interesting info on the Pte W Anderson of Arbroath killed when serving with the Royal Scots after service with the famous BLACK WATCH ! I see the Buncle's publication of the book "roll of honour ARBROATH AND DISTRICT 1914-1919 " that only has casualties listed shows Pte W Anderson in his Black Watch uniform and not the Royal Scots one ! That Black Watch photo may have been taken at the Gibsons photographers studio in Arbroath on his home leave prior to him going overseas to war in France ... The other arbroath publication has very little info on Pte W Anderson .

I see that the CWGC index shows : ANDERSON , WILLIAM THOMAS CARR , Pte no 39163 , Royal Scots 13th Bn , aged 25, death 22 Aug 1917 , son of WILLIAM AND CECILIA CARR ANDERSON ; Husband of CHARLOTTE L CAMERON FITCHET (formerly ANDERSON) OF marywell , Arbroath. War grave No II G 5 Polijze chateau grounds Cemetery [ pte Anderson's widow must have re married shortly after his death in action in 1917 as she is mrs Fitchet living in Marywell by arbroath

Soldiers died in the Great War index Black Watch :

39163 Pte William Thomas Carr ANDERSON , 13th Bn Royal Scots (lothian Regiment) kia France & Flanders 22 August 1917

born SYDNEY AUSTRALIA , enlisted Arbroath Forfarshire
formerly S/12867 ROYAL HIGHLANDERS

Pte W Anderson should be listed on the Scottish national war memorial at the Castle in Edinburgh for the Royal Scots but should mention his previous service in the Black Watch too

I dont think that Pte WTC Anderson is a relative of mine

(pwa

keptie
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2012 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.35 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *