Arbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connection

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Off Topic banter
 THE LONE RANGER  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Sandstone is a forum sponsor!
Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  02:39:18 AM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well Flintstone,
Let us all congratulate you on reaching the 1,000 post milestone. You certainly produce quality along with your quantity. Thanks for your contributions, verse and memories.

Sandstone party See you on "TheShoppie"
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  08:28:28 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Congrats, Flintstone...
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  5:46:58 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Goodness, what a milestone! i I didnt know such a thing existed. Time does fly when you are enjoying yourself.
Pensioner busybody
Wee Smokie

United Kingdom
204 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  09:31:17 AM Show ProfileSend Pensioner busybody a Private Message Reply with Quote
It's fowk like yersel that mak sites like this sic a success. Ye've din yersel and wis a real prood.
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
31 May 2019
Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  10:51:07 AM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
Congrats, Wilma, Pensioner Busybody said it all....you've saved the site from dying many times and we all look forward to hearing from you
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  6:23:55 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
You are all too kind. I just love rekindling old memories and its great when all you folk join in the banter. Long may it continue
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 12 Sep 2013 :  4:07:24 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Awesome Flintstone, Val has it right when she said you single handedly pulled us all back into the forum at some time or another over the years.
But we would be remiss if we did not sincerely thank David Nicoll for brunting the major expenses of having this server up and running 24/7/365. If it were not for David the Shoppie quite possibly may not have survived.

A New Years Resolution; something that goes in one year and out the other.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 12 Sep 2013 :  8:56:12 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Here,here. As Smokey Robinson used to sing "I second that e-motion! Bet he wisna a master smokie though!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 15 Sep 2013 :  1:37:02 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
In Fridays Craigie column in the Courier, a reader recalled how, in the early 50s he went to Greens Playhouse in the Nethergate to see a personal appearance by The Lone Ranger himself, Clayton Moore. The new film must be stirring up folks memories, not just on the Shoppie. By the way, has anybody else seen it yet?
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 25 May 2018 :  08:55:34 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
I have just been re-reading these, and other posts, over the last couple of days. I was laughing out loud at some of the stories (including my own!). Why, oh why, have we let this site lapse?? It was, at its peak, as addictive as the Red Lichties site is, but this last week, without Brian Forsyth’s photos, there has been absolutely nothing good to discuss on the Red Lichties. This site, with its diverse discussions on Arbroath words, The Lone Ranger, Schools, Shoppies, and knitting, needs us back again. I hope somebody will read this and support what I’ve said. The old saying, A picture paints a thousand words, is proving to be very true. So, grab that memory bag, and let’s get Shopping again!
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
220 Posts
Last here:
04 Aug 2018
Posted - 11 Jun 2018 :  08:09:04 AM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
You are absolutely right Wilma. I am always wary about posting on the Facebook site, never the case here, If the site could tempt Brian Forsyth and his pictures, that would be great, sadly changing habits will be difficult for most.
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 11 Jun 2018 :  11:26:57 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Wilma & Gary,
GREAT!!!! to see some life returning to our beloved meeting place, I have missed our in depth chats FOR SURE, I learned so much about our toon by following the various threads!

The Shoppie needs to be recognized for what it is, it’s a cultural archive, its a researchable time machine to days gone by, it’s a place where Red Lichties can learn about their grandparents or parents culture or share their own. We can learn who the funny punters were, the eccentrics and the Worthies, and what separates The Shoppie from Facebook is that these subjects can be researched by category unlike facebook where even interesting posts are quickly buried by a plethora of new post that just get piled on top. Heck at times I can't even find a post from yesterday.

Facebook is at best an ever revolving message platform whereas The Shoppie is a researchable archive of anything and everything about Arbroath, surely we HAVE to encourage interest in this special place!

Garry just a word about security, The shoppie is a VERY public site, in as much that anyone can read what we have posted here, (but not post) I have even seen members picture from the Members Gallery on The Shoppie copied and re-posted on Facebook.
Although the Red Lichties World Wide being a 'closed group' is considerably more restrictive to any trawling by the general public, I don’t think the conversational contents have the staying power.

It sure would be nice if we could revive the interest in Arbroath's wee place on the WWW. Who knows Maybe Wilma’s next ditty will bring the posters back through the Shoppie door by the thousands.

Brian.

A New Years Resolution; something that goes in one year and out the other.
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 12 Jun 2018 :  5:06:10 PM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
It's a real treat for me to read these last few messages. Thank you all.
I'll keep it running as long as there is any interest in the site!

Cheers
Dave N

BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 13 Jun 2018 :  8:56:32 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Guys, what a coincidence! It so happens that I have embarked on (another) mad binge of “memoir” writing (not unrelated to constant bad weather and sciatica) and am currently trying to document my life before working - before I succumb to old age (tho’ no-one would be the slightest interested – not even my family). I’ve just past the Inverbrothock phase and now into early AHS years with Long Row, Baths, YM, Squirrel, Scouts etc. The great thing is that I have written some of this before on The Shoppie, aided and abetted by contributions from you guys, and I can simply look it up, copy and paste. The Shoppie as a labour-saving device! A funny thing is that I’ve found a couple of things that I wrote, where I have now totally lost all memory of the original event – even when prompted. Thank goodness for the longevity of The Shoppie.

Sadly Lady Flintstone, I can’t see that our recent (less than) subtle nudge-nudge, wink-winks on FB towards The Shoppie have actually had any noticeable effect.

On the subject of the FB Closed Group, be aware that the people that want to be reading content will be – perhaps in data collection “farms” in the east, assembling data for identity fraud databases, where no single item of info such as a DoB is much worth, but a collection of similar innocuous facts can add up to trouble – worse than a password. I’d take as much care of what I post on Facebook as on the open Shoppie. More in fact, as The Shoopie has nothing like the profile.

I regularly cringe at the info posted on Red Lichties, but mainly because a surprising amount of fraud/malicious damage is by aquaintances, even rellies. But I personally never click on links to the most deserving heart-rending sick children/fluffy kittens, or ever pass on round robins to “at least 20 friends else they'll die”, as well as not posting my mother’s divi number. But I normally try to bite my lip and leave my work at the office – especially after 16 years since closing the door!. P M Paterson, Data Security Manager (Retd).
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 14 Jun 2018 :  5:18:34 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Oh dear, it’s like opening the door tae a few long lost friends. How are ye a’ daein’? I couldnt believe it when I actually saw some new activity on here today. Great stuff. Honestly, the times I’ve referred folk to the Shoppie for information....... just last week that photo of a dance at the Mayflower had me trawling on here to see if there was any info on the group, and I think Phil Petrie was amongst others who visited. I notice that some folk are copying things that have been on the Shoppie. Only good thing is that they are worth copying. As I said before, without Brian’s super photos of the people and places of old in Arbroath ( sorry, but you can only take in so many pictures of the harbour and the cliffs); there was virtually nothing on Red Lichties. And I’m not a fan of the favourite chippie, one word answer type of posts........gimme a guid auld fashioned blether ony day! We really do need an archive of the town, online, available at the touch of a button. I have a pile of old Heralds, but can’t share them with everyone, and sadly, there have been no Herald annuals in recent years. Even sadder, is the poor poor effort that passes for The Heraldie nowadays. Soon, it will be a thing of the past. What then??
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 14 Jun 2018 :  5:36:54 PM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote

A couple of interesting points...

Jay Silverheels, who played Tonto, was a Mohawk Indian who was born in Brantford, just a bit South East of Toronto.

We also have a character on TV here called Russell Oliver who runs a jewelry buy and sell and pawn shop.
He dresses up in cowboy garb and styles himself "The Loan Arranger"

Kimo Sabe

flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 14 Jun 2018 :  11:03:00 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Ah, that photo of the great Clayton Moore playing the masked man. I think that was one of the first television heroes we had in the fifties. 25 minutes of black and white, studio shot, adventures where the baddies were really bad, and The lone Ranger and Tonto always came out on top. I don’t think I’ve ever seen The Lone Ranger without his hat, which was alway immaculately clean. Nae prairie stoor or injun blood on it. Cue the William Tell overture!!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 15 Jun 2018 :  07:21:26 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hey Sandstone - A Thousand and One posts! You've reached that special milestone. Congratulations. Now only 543 to got to catch up on Flintstone (but meanwhile, in darkest Panbride . . . . . . . tap, tap, tap).
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 15 Jun 2018 :  10:00:33 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
I001 posts? Scherezade disna hae a look in! And these tales wuidna send ye tae sleep! Tat, tap, tap..............
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 15 Jun 2018 :  5:49:46 PM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Panbride?
I went looking for my relatives on my paternal side a few years ago. Now I'm all clued in on the maternal side but could not get anywhere on the paternal side. Nicoll: just two generations. After searching the archives in Dundee I found that Nicoll was a ploughman at the Brax who married my great grandmother after the fact. Turn out that I'm really a MacLaggan and was pointed to the Panbride churchyard where there are many MacLaggans. The other funny thing is that my bestie at school was a Murray MacLaggan who lived on Queen St in Carsnootie, just opposite the park gates.

Page: of 4Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.55 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *