All about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractions

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 General Arbroath Chatter
 ART video - Memories of Arbroath  
Author Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Lucylastic
Wee Haggis

41 Posts
Last here:
17 Nov 2017
Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  9:21:52 PM Show Profile Visit Lucylastic's HomepageSend Lucylastic a Private Message Reply with Quote
Arbroath Round Table did a wonderful job putting together this video -

"This video is produced by the members of Arbroath Round Table.

It was done as an entertainment piece for residents of Arbroath care and residential homes, to help those with dementia recall times gone by in the town they grew up in.

The feedback on this video was so overwhelmingly positive that we were asked for copies, more than we can actually produce, so the easiest thing is for anyone to enjoy it and here it is on YouTube.

With thanks to the Arbroath Herald for access to their picture archive and Anvil Ceilidh Band for public use of their music"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqoPuuLvrOo
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
359 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  08:01:19 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Arbroath Round Table . . . yes I did enjoy the show. Thank you. By no means just for people with difficulties. Loads of memories of trailing round the streets as a kid, and especially the area around where I lived at the Fit o' the High Road Brig - all gone now. And would you believe it? My first car, a Ford Squire "shooting break", passing Tutties at 22mins 50secs - probably before my time.

Have a look fellow ex-pats!
stan
Senior Smokie

stan

Canada
793 Posts
Last here:
02 Jun 2015
Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  2:08:59 PM Show Profile Visit stan's HomepageSend stan a Private Message Reply with Quote
Braw!!!
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Sandstone is a forum sponsor!
Canada
1019 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  5:30:34 PM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Excellent slide show, thanks to the Tablers.
Saw my Grandpa's long gone pub. The Bell Rock Tavern. It's always interesting to see pre war photos before all the railings were cut down and donated to the war effort.

Sandstone party See you on "TheShoppie"
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  6:06:06 PM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
Loved it. Saw my first home, 17 Cairnie Street which is the Corner Bar lounge nowadays and it still had the pre-war railings there. When I was a kid we had the dyke and hedges and a pretty little garden with climbing roses around the front door. Heaving a nostalgic sigh right now ! I'm sure they could make a lot of money for charity if they released it around Christmas, I'd buy a few of them
ScottishRose
Wee Smokie

ScottishRose

Scotland
291 Posts
Last here:
30 Sep 2015
Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  11:20:13 PM Show Profile Visit ScottishRose's HomepageSend ScottishRose a Private Message Reply with Quote
Tutties used to be called Ashers bar?! And had a cocktail lounge!

Laura xx
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Feb 2019
Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  12:20:52 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
To my knowledge Tutties Neuk has been the name since at least 1820 when the first Arbroath Golf course (only nine holes) started and finished beside the pub... There is a record of a publican, circa late 1920's/1930 leaving Tutties Neuk, to open a pub in Northern Ireland that he named "The Edinburgh Castle".. Maybe the public bar area was called "Ashers Bar" at some time in the past?? During the early sixties the "lounge" used to get packed with holidaymaker couples of all ages and locals alike.. Could that have been thought of as a "cocktail lounge"??? I think the lounge in Tutties was converted to a restaurant circa 2005 but I don't know if it succeeded or what it is like nowadays.

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
359 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  5:03:52 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
An old school mate needed to be reminded where I lived. I thought I might post what I wrote, with some added detail, as there are a fair few references that might jog memories. They are likely to set young Wilma well on her way to her next 1000 posts. I’m amazed at her memory. However it was a toss-up whether to put it under Lucylastic’s ART Video or Derek’s Dammie related thread.

Anyway, I lived in “Netherward House” from 1953 to 1965. It was weird place to live. It had been the office block for the former Netherward Works mill of Francis Webster & Sons. It had been converted by Webster’s into two flats upstairs for “key” workers, and into the day nursery downstairs for people working at Alma and Burnside works. Later on, the downstairs was also converted into another flat. The block was hidden from public view in the “quad” of the main factory buildings, and was accessed through a huge pair of factory gates just down the road from the High Road Brig. Visitors had to be expected in the later evening.

When we moved in, the factory building in front of us in Guthrie Port, was occupied by Geo Keith, Sailmaker. This is the building on the left of the picture taken from the High Road Brig, which appears at 11mins 11secs on the ART video. I can almost make out the gates at the far end of that building. The building behind our block I think was occupied by Corsar’s (Rope Makers??), and later served as a fruit bottling plant – lorry loads of raspberries in barrels used to stand under my bedroom window. I see that this building is still there from the satellite image.

Included in the south side of the quad was a bridge over the mill lade, and I could look up a canyon of factory buildings right up to the Dammie. I’m sure very few people knew it existed. Downstream, the lade disappeared under a building, then under Guthrie Port and presumably under Frasers factory. Goodness knows where it would have ended up.

The building at the north side of the quad was used as the Rifle Range, and was built over the Brothock – you could see it through the gaps in the floorboards, flowing underneath. When Geo Keith moved out, the ground floor of the front factory was used for an indoor cricket school under Doug Greasley, the then AUCC professional. (Was Netherward Arbroath’s first leisure complex with two sports?).

Later, while I was not paying attention, three sides of the “quad” were demolished leaving my former home exposed to the world at large as . . . . JEWSONS!
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
220 Posts
Last here:
04 Aug 2018
Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  7:20:24 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
The Barn Green picture was one that stirred my memory, just up from the demolition, is that Will's newsagent and Allen Irons. That might be the Guthrie Hill flats in the picture but they look so different. Brilliant stuff, thanks for the post.
8ball
Wee Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
311 Posts
Last here:
23 May 2016
Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  8:35:53 PM Show Profile Visit 8ball's HomepageSend 8ball a Private Message Reply with Quote
RikhGidMin. Brah
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
359 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  10:32:46 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
This video really has got legs. Apart from featuring my first car, I heard from my mate Tom Macpherson (the MearnsFM DJ) that he spotted his uncle "Pie Bob" - does that make Tom a rellie Wilma? Also Tom’s and my classmate/bandmate Robbo in Kefalonia, tells me that his older brother Lyall (Robertson) now in Felixstowe, was amazed to see himself in the Arbroath video! He is in the middle of the 1955 High School photograph (15.15 on the video) sporting a now long-gone mop of black hair! He doesn't remember having the Hitler-type moustache tho’, and thinks it's possibly a photographic illusion. Well that’s what he claims.

Now Lyall is a genuine career musician of local origin - still working at 75, and therefore warrants a mention on Flintstone's Local Entertainers thread. Follow me . . . .
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1661 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  12:16:12 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
My branch of the Macpherson clan does not include Pie Bob - my dad' was brought up,in Ladyloan, at the fit o' the toon' and though "he needed dough most of his life"! he was not related to the baker! He was anither 'breid' a' thegither!
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
21 Jan 2019
Posted - 03 Nov 2013 :  1:24:57 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi BlastInAude - Thanks for the information about Netherward House and the mills, as I remembered Corsars and Keith the Sailmaker being in those building but they are always referred to a Francis Webster's mills. Glad my memory wasn't playing tricks on me. I am sure the Husker family lived in Netherward House at one time.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
359 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 03 Nov 2013 :  3:53:17 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
You are right about the Huskers Marcol, now that you mention them, but I'm blowed if I can bring them to mind. I now recall that, also living there, were Jimmy and Marlene King. How could I have forgotten Jimmy having, although a youngster, occupied the "suicide seat" of Jimmy's Sunbeam Talbot, while he was learning to drive.
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 03 Nov 2013 :  8:21:09 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlastInAude

Included in the south side of the quad was a bridge over the mill lade, and I could look up a canyon of factory buildings right up to the Dammie. I’m sure very few people knew it existed. Downstream, the lade disappeared under a building, then under Guthrie Port and presumably under Frasers factory. Goodness knows where it would have ended up.

I served a 4 year sentence in GL& F and I clearly remember there were two bodies of water running under the big works at the bottom of the hill. The first was the Brothock Burn this crossed under Guthrie Port and ran all the way under the factory it's location marked on the factory floor by a straight row of manhole covers, I would place that at the bottom of Guthrie Port hill where the water would puddle during a rain storm. That spot was well known for getting pedestrians drookit as vehicles roared doon the hill during a rain storm, my father was caught by his own Foundry lorry, he heard it coming down the hill and turned his face away and stood against the wall of the Bond, the lorry passed leaving a perfect impression of my dad on the sandstone wall.

It was a well kent fact that the night shift had a pair of chest waders stashed and most early mornings some volunteer made the Pete Smiths run by slipping down the last manhole cover (by the milling machine section) and waded through the tunnel making the pre dawn light in a matter of 30ft. There were stories of men fishing down the manhole covers and I personally know that out in the heat treatment department the auld hands had stashed a bag of potatoes and a huge chip pan just in case someone caught a fish. I do remember one particular night shift in 1968, the pungent smell of chips wafted through the factory and coincidently wakening me up.

Through the day we apprentices also utilized the cool waters of the Brothock to keep our Friday bottle of Robb Brothers lemonade cool by submerging them in the burn, the only clue of there existence was a piece of string escaping from the manhole covers. On Fridays (pay day) It was not unusual to see two and three strings sticking out from each manhole cover. I remember one day the general foreman making exaggerated gestures at the string decorated manhole covers and yelling out loudly for all to hear, "What have we got here?" he lifted the manhole cover and four pieces of string slipped into the darkness to the chorus of four boys wailing "F***!" as our bottles head on there way to the North Sea.

The second Body of water came from (I presume) The Dammie, it flowed under the flat part of Guthrie Port and underneath the very last of Fraser's buildings (the heat treating shop.) This wide man made flow of water appeared out the back of the building for a short way before disappearing once again below another Fraser's building, this was the secret location where the heat treatment men had built a swing-bridge made of pilfered roof joists, two men would secure one end of the narrow bridge under their feet and they would pull on the rope attached to the far end and swing the bridge across the water. It was not unusual for the Milling Machine department message boy to meet up with his counterpart from the Boring Mill department at Pete Smiths bakery. Other messages that ran the clandestine routes were Bookie slips, fish & chips and fritter runs up the port.

I remember as an apprentice being dispatched to run to the bookies (over the swing bridge) for George S. I decided that while I'm free I'll slip into the pub for a quick pint, of all people I rubbed elbows with the day shift foremen Cyril who dispatched me right back to work. Yes he let me finish my pint, and that was the last I heard of it.

So Yes Pete, two bodies of water passed under Fraser's low buildings.

A New Years Resolution; something that goes in one year and out the other.
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
220 Posts
Last here:
04 Aug 2018
Posted - 04 Nov 2013 :  6:45:05 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Brian, That day shift foreman, was it Cyril Thompson? He was is my uncle, now living in York, just celebrated his 90th birthday. Was a fine cricketer in his day. He came to Condor with the old Fleet Air Arm and during the war sailed on the Arctic Convoys. The biggest clue was him letting you finish your pint!
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 04 Nov 2013 :  7:19:16 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Gary, Sorry 90 years old seems a bit to old for the Cyril I mentioned, I'm guessing he would be in his early 70's today. for the life of me his second name escapes me.

exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 04 Nov 2013 :  7:41:09 PM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
Brian, Jim says that Cyril Thomson was in charge of the machine shop and he would be that old now. Jim's 72 and Cyril was way older than Jim so it sounds like he is Petanque's uncle !
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1661 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 04 Nov 2013 :  7:50:52 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
The only Cyril's I know of were Cyril Wilkie, but he was an ambulance driver, and Cyril Spurway, father of Heather Roberton. He worked in one of the factories, but I'd better bide oot o' this subject as I don't know enough aboot it!
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 04 Nov 2013 :  8:12:04 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thanks Val, that's right your Jim went through Frasers ahead of me. Then Cyril Thomson it is, what do you know.

So Gary I do remember your uncle he was a highly skilled, very decent & fair man with quite a sense of humor. He may remember me as the worst apprentice ever to cast his shadow on the Boring Mill Department when he was that dept's foreman. If he does remember me, tell him I emigrated to Canada where I finally found a way to remove my head out of my arse. In every sense of the word I learned my trade 'on the job' in Canada running boring mills and large planer mills for the rest of my career. And also that the name GL&F on my resume has opened doors for me everywhere I have gone. But that's another story. winking

flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1661 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 05 Nov 2013 :  11:54:36 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Been having another look at this compilation, and am amazed at all the awnings over the shop windows on the High Street and West port. Things that are never seen at all now. Also the picture with Robin Hall and Jimmie mcGregor pictured at the harbour - wonder who the three laddies are? were Robin and Jimmie perhaps singing one of their best known songs to them - Three Craws sat upon a wa', sat upon a wa', sat upon a wa', a,a a. "
Page: of 3 Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.61 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *