Famous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about Arbroath
†† ††
Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 General Arbroath Chatter
 ART video - Memories of Arbroath  
Author Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
MoragM
Wee Haggis

1 Posts
Last here:
07 Sep 2014
Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  5:23:39 PM Show ProfileSend MoragM a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Terrymac

To my knowledge Tutties Neuk has been the name since at least 1820 when the first Arbroath Golf course (only nine holes) started and finished beside the pub... There is a record of a publican, circa late 1920's/1930 leaving Tutties Neuk, to open a pub in Northern Ireland that he named "The Edinburgh Castle".. Maybe the public bar area was called "Ashers Bar" at some time in the past?? During the early sixties the "lounge" used to get packed with holidaymaker couples of all ages and locals alike.. Could that have been thought of as a "cocktail lounge"??? I think the lounge in Tutties was converted to a restaurant circa 2005 but I don't know if it succeeded or what it is like nowadays.

Hi, I am the granddaughter of the publican who ran the Tutties Neuk in the early 1900's. His name was James Clark Pirie and he married a Jemima Duncan Clark in 1911. They had 4 children - Grace, Ethel (my mother) - both of whom were born illegitimate, Gordon and Douglas. The family went to live in Belfast when the chiildren were in their teens and ran a pub called The Edinburgh Castle. James's father was Gordon Duff Pirie who was a gas work labourer in 1901 and a gardener in 1911. He died in 1925 and is buried in Arbroath Eastern Cemetery. Before James and Jemima married he lived at Tutties Neuk with his sister Isabella. If anyone can tell me when he left Arbroath I would be grateful.
James
Wee Haggis

Scotland
8 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 17 Jul 2018 :  7:56:41 PM Show ProfileSend James a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi blasten aude I'm the Jimmy king with whom you used to tour around in my sunbeam Talbot. You got everything right except that my wife's name was Sheena whom I lost in February, so am feeling pretty low & your posts have cheered me up. Next door to you lived the Shaw's. Remember, & your dad was Alex
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1670 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 19 Jul 2018 :  12:05:54 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
James, I remember you from Fergus Street. My Auntie Jean Alexander lived in Fergus Square and knew your family well. My cousin George Alexander also passed away this year, and I believe he knew you. Iím really glad you are taking the time to read the many posts on this site - itís what keeps the history of the town alive.

Regards
Wilma Reud
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1670 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 19 Jul 2018 :  12:06:51 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Sorry, my famous flying finger has spelt my name wrong - itís Reid (nee MacPherson)
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 19 Jul 2018 :  6:12:37 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Awesome faux pas Wilma.big grin

A New Years Resolution; something that goes in one year and out the other.
James
Wee Haggis

Scotland
8 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 19 Jul 2018 :  9:52:46 PM Show ProfileSend James a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Wilma. Remember your aunt Jean well, & was really sorry to read George's death in the courier. I sometimes wonder if anyone I knew is still alive!! I have very happy memories of Fergus Street & Fergus Square too, & have been known to take a little drive round what's left of them. Regards, Jim King.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
362 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  08:56:35 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi again Jimmy, but you probably prefer Jim I see. I contacted Jean through Messenger, to pass on your kind regards. She was very sad to hear your news. But coincidentally, she had recently seen photos (on Facebook I think but didnít see them myself) of an Old Folks Tea Party with WJ and family, and her Mum and Dad, and several other 'familiar faces', and had a moment wondering what had become of others whose paths we had crossed in the past, so your message, albeit sad, seemed very timely to her. She also said had seen several Footie photos over time and had scoured them in search of your face but to no avail . . . but she then says that perhaps her ageing mind has scrambled some information re your being connected with the Team. I guess she is referring to a Francis Websterís football team, which I donít recall, but then my memory is probably even more scrambled!!

Keep an eye open for a Personal Message, which I hope to send later when I have worked out an apparent technical problem.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
362 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  09:15:48 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
I don't know! Wilma has got her name wrong then, last week, she was suffering from phantom aubergines. Could we be witnessing Arbroath's renowned Madam Memory comin' oot' o' th' shewin'?
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
362 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  12:26:21 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hey Wilma. probably a bit rich coming from someone who has just cut through the mains lead of his hedge trimmer, not once, but TWICE in two days! Never done that before in my 13 years of hard hedge graft.
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  3:26:35 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Nah worries; wouldnít be a mans hedge trimmer lead if it didnít have a couple of black electrical tape splices Pete.

flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1670 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  3:51:29 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Peter, my problem is the flying fast finger phenomenon, resulting in misspelt names and the odd aubergine appearing in the mix! Apart from that, Iím fine, and actually ready to post my new, but very lengthy, collection of memories of old Arbroath, entitled HOLIDAYS AT HAME - from the point of view of a 50s bairn. Just finished yesterday, and critically appraised by Pensioner Busybody, who gave it full marks. Too long For FB, so looks like the Shoppie has drawn the short straw again!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
362 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  5:18:07 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
The moving Finger Writes said Aggie Christie. Looking forward then to your memories as I too holidayed at hame - except 1950, a week in Stoney, and 1960 a bike ride to Rosyth.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
362 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  5:25:32 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hey Bri, a thing of the past for you I would think. Everywhere you go some kind soul will be trimming the hedges and cutting the grass to the níth degree around you. It seems to be the main raison díÍtre for proprietors of some holiday parks. Now me, my ďhedgeĒ (after 55 years) consists of 380 mature (i.e. overgrown) trees hacked back to from 9ft to 13ft high. It is so fat at one point that I have to crawl accross the top to reach the far side to cut it. Itís a wonder I havenít cut through the cable many times before. AND itís visible from space Ė see Google Earth photo.

PS the RV is my neighbourís Ė I canít see it from the ground Ė and there is a black blob in my back garden in the picture. I can only assume it is ME . . . . also so fat that visible from space!!

James
Wee Haggis

Scotland
8 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  8:24:50 PM Show ProfileSend James a Private Message Reply with Quote
Peter, thanks for passing on my regards to Jean. She's right about the football as I was on the board at Arbroath FC for eleven years & chairman for five, so there should be some press photos going around. yI don't know much about the old Webster's gang except those who are no longer with us ie.Eddie Lead, Harry Will,Marjorie Stewart etc., But you probably don't know them anyhow. More info would be welcome as I'm sort of wallowing in nostalgia at the moment in my circumstances.
James
Wee Haggis

Scotland
8 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  8:35:38 PM Show ProfileSend James a Private Message Reply with Quote
Peter, sorry first name should have read Eddie Kear! I'm not very good at this am I!!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
362 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  08:19:52 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Morning James, I well remember Harry Will as a friend of my Dad's (he trusted me to borrow his car to get to DRI when my folks were in hospital - brave man!). Also through his B&W Minstrel activities. I'm afraid don't recall a Marjory Stewart. And Eddie and Marlene Kear did I think occupy part of Netherward for a short spell, when he first arrived at Webster's. Here he is presenting my Dad with his retirement gift. There will probably be a few more faces that you recall. George Muir, my musical mentor, on the right.

I didn't know (or had totally forgotten) about your AFC involvement - even as such a high heid-yin, but I now understand what Jean was referring to. I would imagine then that there may well be photos on the Facebook "Red Lichties" website. I had maybe left Arbroath by that time this all came about and I wasn't into football (except for taking photos behind the goal for The Guide for a couple of years). I guess then that you will know my friend and erstwhile musical partner (and now honoured!) Dave Ramsay, but I guess that assumes you are you still in or around Arbroath!

Do you spot the Private Message I sent - indicated (hopefully) top right as you log into The Shoppie, just under the YouTube logo.

Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  2:52:07 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Peter,
Thatís one hell of a hedge, I can easily imagine you crawling over the top with your hedge trimmer in tow. I imagine your neighbors pulling out their deck chairs and gathering to watch the spectacle of the auld man and the hedge?

Your absolutely right on about my lack of gardening chores these days. It has been 11 adventurous years now since we hit the road, selling our home in Maine and sadly loosing our second home in Florida (along with our sizable investment) thanks to fraudulent bankers causing some frigging bubble to burst.

Downsizing our clutter in a series of Ďgarage salesí to allow us to move into a 40 foot Motorhome was a bit emotional. We stored some of our better pieces of furniture in a rented lock-up but pretty well everything else was sold, including workshop and garden tools, lawnmower, snowblower and all. Interestingly enough we did manage to find the space to travel with my (nesting) Peavy Passport sound system, 2 mike stands, 3 mikes, a vocal-harmonizer, guitar pedals, guitar and a big bugger of a Bodran which I donít play so well but I sure can make a lot of noise with it.

We are now into our second (used) motor home, still loving the life criss crossing America and exploring some of the most amazing places, last week we were hiking through Lassen National Volcanic Park which is still an active volcano, we were (at times) breathing sulfurous air as we checked out the steaming Devils Kitchen with it's underground bubbling mud pools, the posted signs cautioning the wise, 'THIN CRUSTED GROUND COVER, DO NOT LEAVE THE MARKED TRAILí.

Attached photo is of the Best Flitting EVER! As you can see I was able to park our old coach (white one) nose to nose with our new coach to flit 9 years of our life from one to the other. It took us 5 man hour days to get everything moved.
Then I parked the old coach in the parking lot immediately behind our RV Resort for a further month to fix up a rather large list of things that needed to be fixed for a smooth sale.
When we finally advertised our old coach on Craigís List the first phone call came in within 1/2hr of posting and we had it sold on a hand shake in a single day. The buyers returning two days later with a lovely cashiers check.

BTW: looking at the picture it looks like we downsize, they are actually both 40 feet long, itís an optical illusion thanks to the camera angle.

James
Wee Haggis

Scotland
8 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  7:10:48 PM Show ProfileSend James a Private Message Reply with Quote
Peter, great photo & I can recall every face pictured tho struggling with names. Knew George well & as I played in various pipe bands as lead drummer, even stood in for his drummer one night at the British Legion, never said what he thought of my performance tho!! Dave Ramsay was a special friend of my cousin Ed Littlejohn, & although he was very unwell, used to go to Hayfield every week & we'd meet at halftime. Dave is now in Johnshaven, I believe, up the coast, & yes I'm still in Arbroath.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1670 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  8:48:45 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thanks to you boys for trying to breathe life back into The Shoppie. Ye canna hae a Blether like this on FB!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
362 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 22 Jul 2018 :  08:59:43 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well Brian, your fleet must have rivalled that of Hugh Nelson, certainly in value! I donít know how you manage to move these monsters about, but it seems like a great way of life judging by your travelogues on the (dreaded) Facebook, although Iím not sure about it currently leading you to the ďthin crusted ground coverĒ that you describe. Almost as risky as buying a property in Florida where, if you recall, we deeply share your financial misery due to the Recession. You must have been so pleased that your ďflittingĒ (great word) and RV sale went through so easily. Itís one of these things that could have hung round your neck like an albatross for yonks.

Your right Wilma, the Blethering Team of old is coming back to life. As you know we could blether for Scotland. But what this mixed bag is all to do with the topic of ďART VideoĒ is a bit of a mystery!
Page: of 3 Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.73 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *