All about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractions

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 History & Information
 Arbroath History, People and Places
 CHRISTMAS MEMORIES  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1652 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  6:54:44 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
This is for Ex Braemar, Keith, Pensioner Busybody, Terrymac, The Dicko Kid, Marcol, Petanque, Blastinaude and any other Shoppie regulars of a certain age (mine!) who may be familiar with some of the things mentioned in this little ode. Let's take a walk down memory lane once more, on this Christmas Eve, 2013:

CHRISTMAS MEMORIES

Christmas time is here again, the season of goodwill
The food’s prepared, the presents wrapped
The champagne’s set to chill
I think of all the money spent, I shake my head and sigh
And wonder how my mother felt at Christmas times gone by
With 5 bairns in the family, and cash thin on the ground
Yet every Christmas morning, there were presents to be found
Anticipating Christmas, for a fifties’ bairn like me
Meant writing notes to Santa, and a proper Christmas tree
Fairy lights, and baubles, with a cracker here and there
Paper decorations, to the ceiling, pinned with care
Tinsel draped all over, colours faded due to age
(There always was a wee bit left for round the budgie’s cage!)
“A Merry Christmas” written on the mirror on the wall
In lipstick, or in toilet soap, in mum’s familiar scrawl
Learning carols old and new, for concerts or a play
That Little Donkey hee-hawed through our classroom every day
The windows of the High Street shops, with Christmas goods displayed
A favourite was Toyland, to be found in Pert’s Arcade
Riley’s shop in Guthrie Port and Yule’s in Commerce Street
Henderson’s Emporium, and Woolworth’s – each a treat
Stan Timm’s on the Brothock Bridge, my favourite by a mile
Just looking in the window was enough to make me smile
An artificial Santa Claus, full sized, sat on a bike
Pedalling for all his worth – we’d never seen the like!
Santa’s Grotto, where we queued to see the man himself
Sitting ‘midst a pile of gifts, a reindeer and an elf
The Copey on the High Street housed that land of make believe
Where all the bairns told Santa what to bring on Christmas Eve
A ticket costing one and six, the highlight of this caper
Bought lucky boys and girls a toy wrapped up in Christmas paper
Smashing Christmas parties in the YM or Lodge 40
Ice cream, jelly, sausage rolls – and tunes from Tex and Shorty
Party frocks and shiny shoes, and locks adorned with bows
Lads with Brylcreem on their hair, and snotters round their nose!
Santa and his sack arrived, we all sang Jingle Bells
The handing out of presents met with noisy shouts and yells
Christmas songs seemed better then, so full of cheese and schmaltz
Mummy Kissing Santa, and Sinatra’s Christmas waltz
Mary’s Boy Child, Rudolph, and that Snowman, Frosty, too
Bing and Elvis singing of their Christmas – White and Blue
C is for the candy trimmed around the Christmas tree
Began the Christmas Alphabet, top Yuletide song for me
The Watchnight Service, where along with Dad, I’d sometimes go
The whole thing made more special if there’d been a fall of snow
Off to bed, our socks pinned up along the fireplace wall
Counting sheep to help us sleep, we weren’t tired at all
Christmas morning, what a thrill, to mum and dad we’d creep
And see what Santa left behind while we were fast asleep
A toy or game, an annual, The Bunty was for me
My brothers got The Dandy and The Beezer usually
Bluebird toffees in a tin, a nice selection box
An apple and an orange and a sixpence in the socks.
We never had a fancy lunch, like what we have today
We had our normal menu , then we all went out to play
Till it was time to visit Gran who lived in Fergus Square
(We didn’t have a telly, so we went to watch it there)
Her black and white Defiant with the seventeen-inch screen
Provided entertainment like we’d never, ever seen
With pantomimes and Disney Time some happy hours were spent
But best of all, the circus show from Billy Smart’s big tent
All too soon, we headed home, our day was nearly done
To bed, to read our annuals, and talk of all the fun
That we’d enjoyed that Christmas day, but wasn’t it a crime
We had to wait another year until next Christmastime.

So Christmas time is here again, I’ll celebrate in style
I’ll open up the bubbly, and I’ll take a little while
To wish all Shoppie members, be they far away, or near
A Very Merry Christmas, and a fabulous New Year!

ALL THE BEST, FROM FLINTSTONE!!

Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2437 Posts
Last here:
27 Nov 2018
Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  7:44:40 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
A reminder in verse of these Christmas times as a child.. Fantastic.. Really enjoyed your wee ode Flinstone,,, Merry Christmas to you and yours... and to all red lichties near or far.party

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
220 Posts
Last here:
04 Aug 2018
Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  8:06:45 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wilma, I really dont know how to respond to your wonderful ode, I am left tearful, elated, sad, happy, and in awe of your ability to bring my boyhood days so vividly to mind. Brian, you are the wordsmith and I am sure you will come up with a suitable tribute to this superb trip down memory lane. Wilma, raise that glass, as we will here and remember absent friends. Happy Christmas, Gary.
Pensioner busybody
Wee Smokie

United Kingdom
204 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  9:33:17 PM Show ProfileSend Pensioner busybody a Private Message Reply with Quote
Oh wow Wilma, I couldna hae asked for a better Christmas present. A heartfelt thanks, and very best wishes.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
346 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  10:41:44 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well guys, I'm sure we all agree that there's not a hope of matching Wilma's power of the pen, so all I can do is wish Her and everybody else - especially the oldies like me (Wilma's a mere youngster) - a Very Merry Xmas from Carcassonne using the power of Photoshop instead . . . . . . . . .

woodentop
Senior Smokie

woodentop

404 Posts
Last here:
03 May 2018
Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  12:10:09 PM Show ProfileSend woodentop a Private Message Reply with Quote
The excitement at Xmas time, using the lift
in the Copey on the High Street, Santa no doubt mostly pissed.
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
19 Sep 2018
Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  3:45:17 PM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
ilma, a big thankyou for putting our feelings so eloquently in verse....you're amazing smile We are down here in the Florida Keys with our daughter, son-in-law and grandkids and even in winter we're enjoying sun,family and a great Christmas Day. Wishing all our Shoppie friends a wonderful Christmas ans all the best for 2014
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1652 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  3:54:02 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
We spending Christmas on our own for the first time in forty years, but have a houseful tomorrow!! We have been face timing the family in Canada, so vive le technology!! Glad you all like the wee trip down memory lane. We want to keep those times alive in the memory, as for me anyway, they keep,me going!! All the best to you all (I'm on my third glass of fizz, so toasting you all!)
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2437 Posts
Last here:
27 Nov 2018
Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  08:30:43 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well, another Christmas day over and another lovely memory I can add to a very cluttered and un-defragmented data base I call a brain.. Hope everyone had as great a Christmas day as we did.. Now staying at home all day as everyone else goes out hunting Boxing day bargains.. Good Luck to Olive visiting Debenhams.. Good Luck To Bil/Lizzie with grandkids(6/8yrs) at toyshops to add to their massive amount of Christmas gifts. Good luck to Patrick/Angela and grandkids(16/21yrs) with their varied lists of bargains that are being searched for..

Now where is the cream for my coffee?? Ah here it is.. Baileys over a hot spoon!!!. at 8.30am11party

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
346 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  3:25:09 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Wilma & Terry. T's 08:30 tipple sure beats my inevitable morning Lemsip - inevitable when visiting the UK that is.

My No.1 Christmas Memories of Arbroath come from hearing Phil Spector's Xmas Album - among my all time favourites. (He may have been well iffy as a person, but he was a musical genius.) It brings back floods of clear memories of a really great era at "The Dancin'", The YM, The Marine, perhaps The Palais, and a lot of one-off functions, during Xmas 1959 and 1960.
-
I am therefore envious Terry of your undefragmented data base, an attribute also clearly possessed by Flintstone and others, for there is a slight snag in this particular memory of mine, in that the album wasn't released until 1963. I feel this is an excellent illustration of the state of my noodle. I fear I must have suffered a system crash at some point during a memory defrag!

PS My Wife is just reading this years "The Broons" and has noticed, at the end, the magic words "printed in China".
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2437 Posts
Last here:
27 Nov 2018
Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  8:14:05 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlastInAude

Hi Wilma & Terry.
I am therefore envious Terry of your undefragmented data base,

I really meant my "Hard-drive" (brain) needed maintaining rather than being good... Flintstone and Marcol are some of the best on here.. Like you, I rely on their remembrances to jog the old memory and bring some fragments back to "life" as I appear to have sufferrd from the odd system crashs over the years as well.rolling on the floor

Terry!!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1652 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  11:19:59 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
As Phil Spectors Christmas album was a selectIon of cover versions, perhaps it was the originals you had heard and were playing in the late 50s. My favourite was the Ronettes singing Sleighride, so different from the popular version by Johnny Mathis. Another song which was given a hugely different treatment was Must be Santa! originally by Tommy Steele! then quite recently given the Bob Dylan treatment, and featured Cajun style fiddle and accordion. It was also sung at a frantic pace. Needless to say, I preferred Tommy's gentler version.
keith
Master Smokie

United Kingdom
2714 Posts
Last here:
04 Jun 2017
Posted - 27 Dec 2013 :  07:49:45 AM Show ProfileSend keith a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wonderful memories Wilma you dug deep there, and I can assure anyone reading this she was a clever cloggs back then ! and responsible for my liking the Beatles via her Hard Days Night LP ( ahem i borrowed lol )
I dont know how you do it, as everytime I think about it all I get melancholic and seem to zoom in on the sad things, but I'm fairly sure you took them bits out so we could all have a nice memory of the days when were were little and not a care in the world.... as it should have been.

Thanks Wilma xxxxx
Keith

exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
19 Sep 2018
Posted - 27 Dec 2013 :  12:44:41 PM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
I understand what you're saying, Keith and I wish there was a 'like' button. Wilma has a knack for making us see and remember the happy days and times and it infects all of us, doesn't it?
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
346 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 27 Dec 2013 :  3:03:02 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
There is the Thumb's Up, Val - bottom right of Wilma's Ode.
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
19 Sep 2018
Posted - 27 Dec 2013 :  3:31:44 PM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
Forgot about it, Pete. Thanks for reminding me. Hey, I was out on a wave runner yesterday for the first time(SEADOO) so who says we're getting old? This is a different way to do Christmas for us but a great one just the same !
Marcol
Senior Smokie

503 Posts
Last here:
6 days ago
Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  09:59:42 AM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wilma - Your poem brought back so many memories of Christmas long ago. I remember my Auntie Sis having a Christmas Party instead of a birthday party for my cousin, a thing unheard of in 50's Arbroath and giving us presents wrapped in bright red shinny paper I had never seen before, and then going home to see A Wonderful Life for the first time. My uncle in Canada used to send us Christmas parcels with things you didn't see in Scotland like tinned chicken and "Morefat" cream and books with flock pages. I am sure everyone had a good Christmas and wishing you all a Happy New Year.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
346 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  12:43:51 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
My Dad usually got, as an Xmas Box from Wm Webster (Francis Webster’s - Alma Works), a small crate of pears from WW's farm in Canada. I well remember they were so juicy that I had to be covered in towels before eating one. One year we got a goose instead or also. Our goose was well and truly cooked (or not) however - it didn’t fit in the oven.
Pensioner busybody
Wee Smokie

United Kingdom
204 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  6:27:46 PM Show ProfileSend Pensioner busybody a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well that's another Christmas over and I hope you all had a very good one. When I see the mountain of things the kids get nowadays, and think back to my day, what a contrast. I remember when I would have been about 15, going out late one Christmas Eve to my Uncle Tam's, who lived in the ground floor flat at the bottom of Grant Road, to collect a bogie he'd made for my young brother. It was beautifully made and painted and we (my pal Christine Laing and I) had to be out late so my brother would be sleeping before we got it up to the Steel Hooses. On the way home, we decided to go to the midnight service at the Old Church before making our way back. Didn't we get a telling off for that, with everyone wondering where we were! My Auntie Jean had made brides dresses and veils for a couple of dolls my Mum Had probably bought in Woolies, and there were a few other home made things of that ilk as well for the stockings. We used to polish the thrupenny bits with duraglit wadding to make them look like gold when they were put into the bottom of them stockings with the orange and apple. We were always thrilled to bits with our presents, and like many, we just had a big stew on Christmas Day and then spent the day playing with our new possessions and with our pals, showing each other what we'd been given. I don't remember any competition or jealousy amongst us kids, we were all just happy with it all. We were always up at the crack of dawn to see what our presents were. I think even that's a big change now, as some parents I know even have to wake the kids up! It's still a magical time of year though, especially when there's children around.
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
220 Posts
Last here:
04 Aug 2018
Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  8:10:17 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thanks for that post Pensioner, A bogie, oh fer a bogie, made frae a fish box and auld pram wheels, painted and built with care, I bet your brither loved it. I really enjoyed your memories, regards Gary.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1652 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  10:53:27 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Barbara, the burning question is: whit did ye dae wi' the certie while you were at the midnight service??
Page: of 3Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.56 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *