Arbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connection

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 History & Information
 Arbroath History, People and Places
 CHRISTMAS MEMORIES  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pensioner busybody
Wee Smokie

United Kingdom
204 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  11:19:30 PM Show ProfileSend Pensioner busybody a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flintstone

Barbara, the burning question is: whit did ye dae wi' the certie while you were at the midnight service??

We took it in with us. We were at the back o the Kirk, which was fu, as were many of the congregation. We may have been young, but we knew the scent of the cratur well enough to understand why the congregation was in such good voice. I do remember that night very vividly, and it was white with snow too, but many of the singers would never have felt the cold, insulated as they were. We were just insulated with excitement and happiness.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1652 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  12:08:37 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
There was always a magical feeling about being out at midnight on Christmas Eve. We went to the Inverbrothock church service, and I blame it on my youth, as I can't recall smelling drink on anyone! However, that wasn't the case in later years, as there were always latecomers who.made a noisy entrance during the singing of the first carol, but they were probably the ones who put mair than a sark button intae the collection plate. I remember one year, for some reason, Wintons sweetie shop in Guthrie port was open very late! and my dad bought a big box of chocolates for my mum on the way to the service (they didn't usually buy each other presents back then). The downside of this noble gesture was that I would likely be sporting the adorning ribbon in my moosie straight hair, after the contents were consumed! Another thing I remember about Christmas - as bairns, we only got presents from Santa, and they weren't usually wrapped up, just placed in a wee individual pile for each of us. We usually clubbed together to buy mum a tin of quality street or white Heather sweeties, And dad got a brylcreem dispenser or a tin of Tom Thumb cigars. I can't ever remember getting a present from my granny. Of course, there were so many grandchildren, the gesture would have left her 'runkit'. We used to get knitted socks, gloves, etc throughout the year, or three pence to spend occasionally during the school week, but that was it. When we face timed our grandchildren in Canada on Christmas Day, they had only opened Santa's presents, and still,had to,open mum and dad 's gifts, and all the rest of family and friends gifts. My daughter has to note down everything they get for sending out thank yous, and that in itself can prove expensive.
Pensioner busybody
Wee Smokie

United Kingdom
204 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  11:04:22 AM Show ProfileSend Pensioner busybody a Private Message Reply with Quote
Your memories are much the same as mine Wilma. No presents wrapped up, just stuffed into socks with the socks put on top of a small bundle of other gifts and placed under the tree. We all had to have different socks so we could tell who's was who's. I'm sure that many grannies and aunties did not give gifts as such, but had a lot to do with contributions to homemade items, sweeties, hankies, knitted items, tombola prizes won during the year etc. All the adults helped out just for the pleasure of doing it, and never actually wanted us kids to know about it. It must have been pretty hard work catering for us kids with very little funds, with many hours and lots of imagination needed to achieve the magic for us. It's relatively easy now, just go online and order your items. Not nearly so challenging, nor so much fun though. Yes, I can also confirm, not a bit of wrapping paper in sight - who could afford to waste time and money on such things. Nowadays, we have to be careful how we dispose of it all (not on the fire any more), with dire warnings from the toon cooncil about the consequences of putting it the wrong bin. Our council has a particularly cunning plan to catch us out. The recycle or "green" bin has a blue lid and the rubbish bin has a green lid. I'm just hoping I've used the right one this year.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1652 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  7:24:17 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
As we live out in the country, we aren't subjected to multiple bins - one bin does all, but I dare say that will all change in the future! My memory of our bins in Airlie Crescent, was of a dented metal container, with an equally dented lid, usually overflowing come scaffiie day, with everything from tins and tattie peelings to ash from the coal fire. When the scaffies emptied the bins into the big lorry, the clouds of ash used to blow back. The lorries, if I mind correctly, had side openings with an up and over door, kind of like a huge breadbin! Funny how we always thought of scaffies having the lowliest of jobs. How daft were we then?? Hope everyone is taking a moment to think of our dear old town, as it was in our childhood days, on this Hogmanay. Days when we watched Andy Stewart and Calum Kennedy on TV bring in the new Year, as we sat in the bosom of "Oor ain't folk", ready to welcome I in the neighbours for cake, shortie, a wee dram and a richt guid sing song. All the best to you, wherever you are.......now whaur's that cuddle ma dearie.......and my hankie.
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
220 Posts
Last here:
04 Aug 2018
Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  8:24:43 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wilma, I have enjoyed my first year on the shoppie, thanks to you and all the others of my generation. The very best of health and happieness to you and all the gang. Gary.
Pensioner busybody
Wee Smokie

United Kingdom
204 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  12:04:22 AM Show ProfileSend Pensioner busybody a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wishing all Shoppie members a Happy and Prosperous New Year, with many thanks for all the entertainment and education in 2013. Thanks also to the Site System Engineer and Administrator without whom this site wouldn't exist. I look forward to an interesting and entertaining time with you all in 2014.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
346 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  10:25:56 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
And Lang may The Shoppie's Mum Reek. Happy New Year to all my new (hopefully) friends and a' the Auld Eens an' a'.

Pete
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
346 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  12:34:19 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
That could be "LUM" rather than "MUM", but if your Mum reeks all good and well, but perhaps time for the carbolic!!
8ball
Wee Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
311 Posts
Last here:
23 May 2016
Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  8:22:08 PM Show Profile Visit 8ball's HomepageSend 8ball a Private Message Reply with Quote
lol again God Bless you all
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
346 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 02 Jan 2014 :  6:44:16 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
A couple of my Red Lichtie New Year memories - a day late now. I remember always being particularly paranoid for some reason, about slipping on the ice, falling over, and breaking the half bottle in the inside pocket of my jacket, when out first footing. The High Road Brig was one particular danger spot. One such journey would have taken me and about four buddies to Bill Fleming’s prefab (invited), up Cairnie way, where he was supremely proud of his acquisition of very latest cutting edge technology – a STEREO radiogram. I’d never seen or heard the like before, and was gobsmacked. While my buddies eventually moved on, I stayed sitting in the middle of his floor, in the optimum “hot-spot”, seemingly surrounded by Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Nat King Core and others. I guess Bill probably had to send me on my way in the end, to risk life, limb and (empty?) bottle, back down the High Road Brig.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1652 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 04 Jan 2014 :  2:20:23 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Stereophonic sound! What a concept back in the fifties and sixties. I recall listening to the soundtrack album of South Pacific on such a radiogram, and was amazed at the different sounds coming from each speaker, combining to give a glorious effect. It seemed to pick out the instruments in the orchestra which you wouldn't hear on a monotone player. My mum traded in my first record player Isingle record, two speed deck Westminster model oot o' Curry,s) for a multi change record deck model with DETACHABLE stereo speakers! Alas, most of the 45s purchased back then were in mono, so no difference was noticeable, but a stereo LP.....what a revelation. Probably compared to what's available now, it was quite poor. Same as was the wee tranny with the detachable earpiece for listening under the blankets, which we thought was magic, even though it didna bide on the station after a while - pales by comparison to today's music downloaded from cyberspace. Where do we go from here......can you get any improvement? Before we leave the subject completely, the Picture house was the only cinema of Arbroath's 3 with stereophonic sound, and you could hear the difference whenever you walked into the auditorium. Happy days.
Pensioner busybody
Wee Smokie

United Kingdom
204 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 01 Feb 2014 :  6:36:57 PM Show ProfileSend Pensioner busybody a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well past the Christmas season I know, but it must correct a fault in my Christmas post re the brides dolls my sisters got one Christmas. My irate mother informed me today that it was not my auntie Jean who made the dresses for them, but it was herself. She made them on an old sewing machine she bought at D T Wilson's sale in Marketgate for £1:00 and made one for my cousin too. It's a good job I'm 600 miles away other wise I might have got a clatter in the lug for bandying such misinformation around on a public forum. And one thing I could never thole was a clatter in the lug! As for my brother's bogie, she informed me that he made a small fortune with it by taking stuff to the rag man for people. After clearing out for our neighbours, he took some stuff for our auntie in Marketgate, and picked up a lot of business from her neighbours too. Mind you, that was Rolls Royce of bogies. As for the clipe who told her about my post - you know who you are, and nothing good ever came from cliping. BTW, my Mum is 89 and her childhood was spent in the Wyndies, so if anyone has any questions about that era I will happily pass them on.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1652 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 01 Feb 2014 :  11:23:01 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Barbara, yer a lummer for giein' the credit for the dolls class tae anither wifie. Great word you used there - clipe. Still use it myself today. My granny used to call a clipe "cleeshie clash pie". A clatter or skelp was preferred to the ultimate punishment threat - "a het erse!"
Pensioner busybody
Wee Smokie

United Kingdom
204 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 02 Feb 2014 :  1:02:27 PM Show ProfileSend Pensioner busybody a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yes Wilma, I remember that - or clipey clipey clash pie. Although cliping was a very confusing issue for us youngsters. If you were a clipe, the brother/sister/cousin you were cliping on got a telling off for whatever misdemeanour they had committed, then you as the cliper got a wallop for cliping! However, if you as one of the eldest did not tell on the sinner you got a telling off for not cliping! A bit like being told "I've telt ye a million times no tae exaggerate". But we all survived those mixed message to tell the tale - and no cliping about this post, you know who you are.
Planter
Master Smokie

Planter

USA
1266 Posts
Last here:
26 Dec 2015
Posted - 02 Feb 2014 :  5:43:31 PM Show Profile Visit Planter's HomepageSend Planter a Private Message Reply with Quote
Cliping...the act of the traitor!! rolling on the floor

Planter

For, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1652 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 25 Dec 2014 :  09:17:13 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wishing all my friends on the Shoppie a Merry Christmas and a happy healthy 2015. Val, Keith, Gary, Pete, Barbara, Brian, Terry - keep posting! We off to spend the day with our family. All the best, folks!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
346 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 26 Dec 2014 :  08:43:40 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thank you Wilma, and the very best to you and yours too. Merry Xmas A'body, and keep listening to "Wilma's Wish" on Dave' Law's show on Radio North Angus.
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
19 Sep 2018
Posted - 26 Dec 2014 :  3:26:53 PM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
We're down at Key West FL with our family and wifi has been spotty at best but wanted to wish everyone at the Shoppie a belated Merry Christmas and all the best for a healthy and happy 2015. Hope your Grandkids are keeping you on your toes, Wilma !
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 27 Dec 2014 :  01:56:56 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
My best seasonal wishes to all shoppie-ites round the world too.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
346 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 27 Dec 2014 :  09:15:13 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
I'm sure many Shoppers would join me in wishing to join you, Val - especially Terrymac with last night's weather. And it sure beats Bournemouth.
Page: of 3Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.5 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *