All about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractions

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 History & Information
 Arbroath History, People and Places
 The Wyndies  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 28 May 2014 :  04:12:06 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
skype/call them and record it, then transcribe?
Pensioner busybody
Wee Smokie

United Kingdom
204 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 28 May 2014 :  10:52:31 AM Show ProfileSend Pensioner busybody a Private Message Reply with Quote
It's a good idea Derek, but if they are all like my mum, they are not online.
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
25 Mar 2019
Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  10:25:23 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote

I am not sure if this picture shows the top of East Mill Wynd or the north side of Wardmill Road. I think the building to the extreme right is the first block in Grant Road.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 09 Jun 2014 :  11:37:14 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Marilyn, that looks like the top of east mill Wynd,going by the position of the Airlie crescent and Grant road houses in the background . If you imagine yourself standing at Eck laws shop door at the bottom of the Crafty, I'm sure you would be looking at those 2 houses. But then, perhaps Barbara's mum could enlighten us
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 09 Jun 2014 :  11:42:55 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
If you go back to the photo I posted of EckLaws and Lillie's Wynd, the White House at the bottom right of the picture could be the same one at the right side of yours.
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
25 Mar 2019
Posted - 11 Jun 2014 :  10:13:31 AM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
I have had a look at your photo and you can see that Bog Lane, Smithy Croft and Cross Mill Wynd all met at around Eck Law's shop . The top part of East Mill Wynd would then be behind the Grant Road houses, so I think it is East Mill Wynd not Ward Mill Road as I first thought.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  5:20:21 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
This is Grant Road prior to 1946 and shows how it was before rebuilding took place..

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Seaton
Wee Haggis

Scotland
17 Posts
Last here:
07 Jan 2016
Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  10:54:52 PM Show Profile Visit Seaton's HomepageSend Seaton a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flintstone

Marilyn, the house on the left was definitely still,there in the sixties, but the one on the right would have been flattened by then. Fred Gordon's garage was on that side, and his showroom was on the opposite side. Was that not Boar Reb sitting on the step?

Yes, Fred Gordon's garage was on that side, a bit farther up. Just past it and before Walker's Chip Shop round the corner there was a lane which I think was called Doig's Vennel. A Great uncle of mine (Geordie Boath, a well known poacher) kept ferrets there in the late, mid 50's.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  10:14:35 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Here's a beauty of a pic of Strathmore and Airlie. You can still smell the paint drying.

Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
25 Mar 2019
Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  9:36:48 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Great photos Terry & Derek I have never seen Grant Road before the houses were built . Any ideas where the Strathmore Ave/Airlie Cres photo was taken from?
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  09:34:11 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Love your picture of Strathie/Airlie Derek.. Looking in the background you see a mannie on a ladder, closer on the left appears to be workmens wooden "loo".. and a couple maybe looking at their "new hoose".. and the last builders wee wooden hut on the right for the foreman and his cup o' tea.. and just beyond that another mannie hingin' over the garden railings of one of the hooses.. Wonder what the "water tower" looking building is right in the background behind the chimneys???

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  10:15:36 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Good observations Terry, I think the picture was actually taken from the Demondale building and looking down Airlie and then between the buildings (kinda over the damie) towards Dens Rd & Fraser's so that could make the water tower type structure.......fanfare please.... the Water Tower at Keptie.
big grin
quote:
Originally posted by Terrymac

Love your picture of Strathie/Airlie Derek.. Looking in the background you see a mannie on a ladder, closer on the left appears to be workmens wooden "loo".. and a couple maybe looking at their "new hoose".. and the last builders wee wooden hut on the right for the foreman and his cup o' tea.. and just beyond that another mannie hingin' over the garden railings of one of the hooses.. Wonder what the "water tower" looking building is right in the background behind the chimneys???

A New Years Resolution; something that goes in one year and out the other.
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
25 Mar 2019
Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  7:32:59 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Here is a photo of the construction of the new road
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  9:32:19 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcol

Here is a photo of the construction of the new road

Marcol, I imagine this is 1968 when Fred Gordon's Garage was also demolished to construct new inner relief road??
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  12:37:45 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Re the picture Derek posted of an immaculate looking Airlie Crescent, taken from the Dale School - our friend Keith lived in the mid flat of the building on the right, and we lived in the building where the mannie is up the ladder, on the bottom flat. Just put in some kids playing fitba or roonders, some washing flapping on the lines at Keith's backdoor, and a few dogs running about -would take me right back to my childhood days! The picture of the reconstruction of the new Grant Road must've brought a tear to Gary's (Petanque) eye, as that was where Cargill the Butcher had his shop. Wonder if the workmen found ony mince buried there????
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  5:03:37 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wilma, regarding that same picture of Strathie's construction, for myself looking over this picture brought back floods of memories delivering groceries for Mace throughout 1968-9. I was 18-19 and in the prime of my life and rather than make two trips, especially to the top floor flats, I would pile the cardboard boxes (filled with groceries) three high as I took off running up those stairs. it was always a bonus to have a Kellogg's box which offered me the option of nesting smaller boxes inside.
I want it know throughout the land that those generous folks living in those flats were my best tippers by far, except the times I drove the Mace delivery van to fast around corners spilling & mixing the contents of the box's. Within an hour Bill had a line up of Strathie customers holding handfuls of groceries that they didn't purchase as they told Bill, "and I am missing my bread, two cans of beans, potatoes and Brillo pads," whoops.

Going all the way back to my first job @13 delivering papers for the Browns; any paper boy or milk boy (yes their were girls out there in the mornings but we were all considered delivery boys, weird huh?) will tell you that those stair wells in Strathie and Airlie were pitch black in the mornings, an Eveready battery torch flickering a small yellow circle of light was a must have to safely navigate those stairs. Oh yea I just remembered, when suddenly plunged into darkness a couple of good slaps on the torch would blink the bulb off and on until you had your weak yellow circle of light again. worriedworried

Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
220 Posts
Last here:
04 Aug 2018
Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  7:10:31 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wilma, yes, the site of Jim's old enterprise raised to the ground did make me think, great memories, oh the memories, thats what makes this site. I don't remember Strathie and Airlie when newly built, at least I don't think so, but I do remember yours and Peem's hoose. well Brian, your reference to the pitch black closes in early morning was something I had forgotten. We had the clip on battery powered front lamp on the message bike, we would simply remove it and use it in the close, if I didn't take it there is a chance it would not be there when I got back. They were powered by these massive double batteries with limited life and prone to leaking their contents when out of charge. I remember when asking Jim for new batteries, depending on the mood, we would be left in no doubt about the reply. I lived in those flats at the top of the picture (Guthrie Hill) it was probably the start of the soul-less neighbor hoods missing the true social togetherness that I was envious of up Strathie, although I did not realise it then.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  09:03:58 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Re the entries - any light bulbs which had been placed in the entries were always in danger of being pinched, or taken out to replace a bulb in the tenants house. There was nothing worse than being sent to Keith's house of a winter's night, and having to grope your way up the stairs in the dark. Then having to stand rattling the knocker for ages because their telly was on full blast and they didna hear us! Fear was increased at the thought of the big Alsatian dog up the stair starting to bark at the knocking, then being let oot for a pee (the dog, not me) and nearly knocking me over as it ran doon to cock it's leg at the bin shed. And of course, nearly every entry gave off that eye wateringly pungent aroma of cats piddle! It wasn't unusual for stray cats to sit in the windows on the entry landings. The other prevalent aroma from an entry was the preferable newly scrubbed disinfectant smell. Woe betide the wifie who didna "tak' her turn o' the stairs and entry". The clorty midden!
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  3:11:01 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
I'll tell you, growing up in a town with history going all the way back to the 1300's the wee boys or lassies delivering at 6:00am on a pitch black winters morning were all acutely aware of every dark shadow in the stairwells, especially in the older sandstone tenements. I'm thinking of my own delivery route which took me up and down the 3 Abbey Streets and Abbot St then onto Stanley, Ernest, Sydney and Carnegie.
I myself, of course, wisnae faird, Noooo not me! ....... I naturally climbed stairs rotating in a circle, honest! Then racing back down to the comfort of the well lit street I probably woke the whole building with the thunder of my little feet on the worn rock steps.

My favorite stairwell was on a three story red sandstone between East and West Abbey St, the fully enclosed circular stair stood in the back yard, built in wrong direction for a defenders sword the left hand sweep allowed me to climb the stairs with my back rubbling the outside wall and my torch in my right hand ready to swipe at anything that may jump out at me, there were no shadowy corners all the way up until I hit the landings at which point I instinctively started circling.

As I mentioned on a previous thread, the memories that have stayed with me over the years are the smells and sounds of those early mornings, the toast (often burning), bacon (sizzling), eggs (sparking), even coffee percolating, all contributing to the symphony of the early mornings in those echo filled stairwells. Then there was the human sounds from behind stout doors, muffled voices, babies crying, and the disgusting sound of smokers hacking and coughing, even as a wee boy I could imagine their eyes popping out of their heads as they drew with all their strength for a clear breath, In a way I guess I have them to thank, for sure, thanks to their early morning misery, I still don't smoke to this day. big grin

Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
25 Mar 2019
Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  09:40:15 AM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what the things are that look like bits of an old bus in the picture of the new Grant Road. They are in the left bottom corner next the trees, would Fred Gordon have kept fuel so close to the houses.
Page: of 5Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.7 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *