Arbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connection

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 Arbroath in the news
 Guthrie Hill Homeless Unit  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2412 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  7:52:14 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
The five story block of flats, used as a Homeless Unit in Guthrie Hill, may be demolished as part of a proposal that is shortly to be discussed at a Council Meeting.. It is recommended that they be demolished, at an estimated cost of £75,000.00, as the flats do not appear to be a domicile that is wanted by any Arbroath tenants..

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
213 Posts
Last here:
25 Oct 2016
Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  7:21:27 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Gee, a homeless unit. I lived there when they were first built, number 10, right at the top, it was ok at the time but carrying my bike up to our landing was a pain, do you know which tower it is?
freddiekruger
Wee Haggis

freddiekruger

Arbroath, Scotland
31 Posts
Last here:
16 Sep 2017
Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  11:05:48 AM Show Profile Visit freddiekruger's HomepageSend freddiekruger a Private Message Reply with Quote
Have lived in Guthrie Hill for many years at number 13, the first phase of demolition will begin this month (Oct) starting with the homeless unit. Many people from the rest of Guthrie Hill have been decanted to other areas of Arbroath. I am still here waiting for a letter from the council to tell me that either i will be decanted or given a new council house. I am old enough to remember watching Guthrie Hill being built in 1962, and to think i could be the last tenant to leave in 2014/15.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  1:10:17 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
They knew how to build rubbish in the 60's eh?

There's been a lot of refurbishment going on with the empty flats on millgate loan, previously the secure accomodation for vulnerable women. So can't be too long til they're ready for use.
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
213 Posts
Last here:
25 Oct 2016
Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  10:14:07 AM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Freddie, which block houses the homeless unit.
freddiekruger
Wee Haggis

freddiekruger

Arbroath, Scotland
31 Posts
Last here:
16 Sep 2017
Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  8:44:22 PM Show Profile Visit freddiekruger's HomepageSend freddiekruger a Private Message Reply with Quote
The entrance to Guthrie Hill the block that was on your right side, did you live in that block Petanque?
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
213 Posts
Last here:
25 Oct 2016
Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  10:06:20 AM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi, no we were in the block on the left, number 10 right at the top. We looked out on Barn Green I remember boarded up wasteland right in front of us, for the entire period we were there I think. Massons the baker was to the left of that (as we looked out) I think there were some older houses to the right and A few small shops, Flintstone would remember. Trying to remember what year we moved there, I think it was around 1963/4 certainly just after they were built. Regards, Gary
freddiekruger
Wee Haggis

freddiekruger

Arbroath, Scotland
31 Posts
Last here:
16 Sep 2017
Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  10:20:32 AM Show Profile Visit freddiekruger's HomepageSend freddiekruger a Private Message Reply with Quote
Some of your neighbours you may know who stayed in the now homeless block were, Kenny and Tommy Steele, Brian Longmuir, Bill Thompson and Roni Fairweather.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1536 Posts
Last here:
23 Dec 2017
Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  2:09:55 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
If you look on Arbroath People and Places, page 22, we had a real good discussion on Barngreen shops. I'm sure you'll find everything you wanted to know on the subject. I knew the Thomson family, Billy, Linda and Irene - they moved to Guthrie Hill from Fergus Square. I think Billy passed away several years ago
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
213 Posts
Last here:
25 Oct 2016
Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  12:28:52 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link Wilma, some great stuff there, certainly not a load of sharn bree!!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1536 Posts
Last here:
23 Dec 2017
Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  08:29:53 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
A cracking photo in the Herald this week, of Fred Gordon's garage, with the multis in the background. I drove up Grant Road yesterday, and that corner looks so,strange without the block of flats
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 30 Mar 2016 :  11:37:19 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
the 1960's flats are now all gone, after a month of demolition.

It's fairly changed the landscape and views from the hill. I understand cottages are going into the site to replace them.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 23 Apr 2016 :  3:24:24 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
four bloacks of 1960's flats no more.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.22 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *