A select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture gallery

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Off Topic banter
 Good old Rock n' Roll  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 18 Jul 2015 :  2:19:16 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
I have been following a series on BBC4 for the past 3 weeks, called Rock and Roll America, tracing the history of the music from Bill Haley, and the advent of Elvis up to the success of Tamla Motown. What was great, apart from the fantastic music, were the various interviews with those legends who are still with us. Whilst age has drastically changed the appearance of most of them, there was still something recognisable from their days in the limelight, Jerry Lee Lewis and Don Everly for example. However, in last nights episode I was gobsmacked to see 2 of the teen idols of my youth as they are now - I would never have been able to put a name to the two old mannies on screen as Bobby Rydell and Fabian!! Bobby was a blond, skinny, handsome, talented singer and musician in his heyday, and Fabian used to be good looking to the point of too good looking. Of course, Fabian couldn't sing a note at the best of times, but had moderate success as a movie star, in films like Hound Dog Man and North to Alaska. It's when you see programmes like that, it makes you realise that time travels at an alarming rate. Goodness, I'll be 65 in a few weeks time, and I bet Fabian wuidna recognise me either!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
379 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 18 Jul 2015 :  6:45:02 PM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
You're right. Time doesn't half travel quick Wilma, and here's something I found the other day from The Guide 7th July 1956, to help rub it in. 64 and a bit . . . you should worry!!

You've carried on as you started out. Rock On Flintstone!

And here's another entry detailing Inver prize winners published 3rd July 1954

There could be more "Shoppers" shown these years, but before adopting their Shoppie handles.
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
25 Mar 2019
Posted - 18 Jul 2015 :  6:53:53 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
I have just downloaded the series to my tablet. Looking forward to seeing the old rockers.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 18 Jul 2015 :  11:21:13 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Pete, that sure was a blast from the past with the snippet about the prize giving! We Inver pupils were a lot o' bright sparks, richt enough! Val was even mair talented than I was , as she won the needlework prize, something I would never have achieved even if I was the only pupil in the needlework class. Nae use at shooin' or wyvin' at a'. In Val's class, The first prize winner, Jean Watt, went on to become Dux of the school, and multi medal winner and Dux of the High School too.
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 19 Jul 2015 :  01:07:35 AM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
It was my fate to be runner-up to Jean Watt in school, she was just brilliant My only chance to be top dog was a couple of years when I transferred to Hayshead and was able to leave Jean behind at Inverbrothock. Of course you can imagine my chagrin when, on my first day at the High school, Jean and I were seated next to each other again ! Does anyone know what happened to Jean after Uni ? I went to the US and lost touch with former schoolmates.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
379 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 19 Jul 2015 :  07:47:21 AM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
. . . . . leaving me behind too, to also end up runner-up to Jean in PVII at Inver.

I don't understand why this photo has three, and only three, schools. Have you a Hayshead equivalent Val?

Rock'n'Roll clearly hadn't hit Arbroath in July 1956. It did, very soon after at the High School. We'll get back to your thread in a moment Wilma!
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 19 Jul 2015 :  08:53:27 AM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
There were no Hayshead primary photos taken that year, Pete. We were the first Primary seven to attend the brand new school and apparently Mr McGregor, the headmaster, dropped the ball when the Hayshead prizewinners were supposed to be photographed. I still remember my mother stomping up to school with steam coming from her ears to find out where OUR photos were and he could only apologise. Hell hath no fury like an indignant mither smile
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 19 Jul 2015 :  9:27:48 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Prize giving day was always a bitter sweet experience for me - sweet because, ahem, I usually got first prize. Bitter, because the night before, my mum usually tried her level best to "do something" with my poker straight hair, complete with coo's lick, by putting pipe cleaners, rollers, or the occasional home perm through my limp locks. The big day dawned with me, in a new summer frock, specs, and a hairdo topped off with a big chocolate box ribbon. Not a pretty sight - but then ye canna hae brains and beauty. Well, no me onyway
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 19 Jul 2015 :  9:39:25 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
It's a pity there are no names on that photo. Is Jean Watt in front row, on the right? I recognise the girl next to her, and the wee laddie behind her, but don't know the names
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 19 Jul 2015 :  11:33:52 PM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yes, Wilma, Jean Watt is front right. Other faces I think I recognise, not 100% sure of some are .....May Taylor, front left, next to her Joyce Simpson, don't know next girl. Peter Patterson top right and Bruce Anderson extreme right
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
379 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  09:00:41 AM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Left of Jean Watt is Sandra Tandy. Behind Joyce Simpson is my soon to be best mucker Willie Cargill. Studying the listings in The Guide, I think the left back is James Cameron, and the guy to the left of Brucie is T (Terry?) McCormack. By elimination then, the guy middle row left might be Ian Cargill. Apologies if wrong.

I am very grateful to my Mither for getting and squirreling away all these cuttings, but as you say Val, they had to be there in the first place. It must be so aggravating for you. School photos have gone berserk now with “graduation” photos (mortar, gown and scroll) from Primary School, and seen just last week on TV, “graduation” ceremonies for those leaving Nursery School. I suspect a wheeze invented by professional photographers.

But back to the plot Wilma. I listened on the iPlayer yesterday to the BBC’s “companion” program to Rock and Roll America, Radio 2’s “Sounds of the 50’s”, to hear Leo Green announce that Jerry Lee Lewis is to be on the Palladium in September. After what we saw on Friday night, the mind boggles. Him and the Ghost of Don Everly. I’m sure we were due to see JLL in Greens Playhouse back in the day but he cancelled (a later tour than the infamous 14 year-old wife disgrace), same with Little Richard, who got religion and threw his rings off Sydney Harbour Bridge (I think). We did see Chuck Berry, however in the late 80’s – he was APPALLING!

I already have two near identical programs on DVD and I can think of another, but then it’s difficult to retell the story much differently. I think this one is better than these others, better construction with new talking heads – well nearly. I think that must be how Marshall Chess makes a living these days. Excellent bit about Phil Spector and his sound – a huge musical hero of mine, albeit a chromium plated fruitcake outside office hours (and clearly inside too!), and of course even more "Inside" these days.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  11:42:40 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Pete, yes it would seem highly unlikely JLL could perform, he could hardly draw breath! Don Everly was still recognisable, but his eyes had a glassy appearance, as if he was perhaps on medication. I saw the Everlys twice in Dundee following the fantastic reunion concert at the Albert Hall, and they sounded superb, although they were a wee bit more rounded in appearance!
They were backed by the brilliant Hogans Heroes, with Albert Lee outstanding. However, the last time we saw them, about 10 years ago, it was billed as their last Eve tour. They sounded great, but this time the performance was lack lustre, and they had no rapport with the audience at all. They didn't even do an encore. We were really disappointed. Still, I have a few albums containing most of their best known songs.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  11:48:17 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Back to the schule Photies. Val, I wouldn't have recognised may Taylor. When I left school in 1967, I got a job in the accounts office at Arbroath Infirmary, and I worked beside May there. She left about a year later to take up,an accounting job at a hospital in Edinburgh. She came back to visit us, and we hardly recognised her. She was so different in appearance, the move must have done her good.
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  01:51:08 AM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that about May, Wilma, I remember her from some youth organization or other, or maybe Church when I was young. She was a nice lassie and I seem to recall she had a brother.
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
25 Mar 2019
Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  10:59:42 AM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi BlastInAude could you tell me how to get access to The Guide records.
Marcol
Senior Smokie

504 Posts
Last here:
25 Mar 2019
Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  10:59:56 AM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi BlastInAude could you tell me how to get access to The Guide records.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
379 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  10:00:41 PM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Sorry to say Marcol, these records are nothing more exciting than a manila folder that my mother kept. I have no more than a copy of The Guide listing all Arbroath primary prizewinners for 1954 and again for 1956, which I can scan if that's of any use to you.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  11:55:39 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Val and Pete, back to that Inverbrothock school Photies. Joyce Simpson lived across the road from my granny in Fergus Square, and she had lovely red hair. Her dad reminded me of King George V1., in that he looked like the Kings profile on the coins that were still in circulation in the fifties.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  12:05:45 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Re the school,prize giving, which used to take place in the playground, with the teachers and dignitaries sitting in the bike shelter, with a large table in front of them laden with all the books to be dished out to the worthy recipients. Our teacher instructed us that when our named was called, we had to walk smartly up to the table, and girls had to curtsey, boys salute, before accepting our prize. I can recall a churning stomach, with the feeling that my feet were sticking to the ground on what seemed like a never ending trek to the table! Later in the day, I would take my prize to show off to various people, including Mrs Williamson who had the corner shoppie in Fergus Square, who rewarded me with a bar of Five Boys chocolate!! Happy days.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  7:54:21 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
I see that Jerry Lee Lewis is appearing At the Glasgow Hydro in September. The mind boggles!! I think that these golden oldies should just gracefully retire, and let us remember them as they were in their heyday. There is no way he could put on as dynamic a performance as he would have 50'years ago. If any shoppie member attends, please let us know how it goes,
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 21 Aug 2015 :  9:45:30 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
For my recent 65th birthday (oh, I know you're all thinking I canna possibly be 65!) I received 2 very special DVDs as a present. One was the film version of 6 5 Special, starring loads of 50s pop stars, and The Golden Disc, starring Terry Dene, once described as Britains answer to Elvis Presley. I remember seeing both movies when I was a wee lassie, at the Palace, and thought that both were just fab! I will let you know if they are just as fab when I view them some 55 years later. I also got a DVD of Pam Ayres one woman show which I haven't seen yet either. What could I have achieved if I had the nerve to go on New Faces, and recite Vals Bogheid Blues?? Dream on, Flintstone!!
Page: of 4Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.64 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *