Details of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTube

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Introduce yourself
 USAuthor looking for help with Arbroath in 1819  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
USAuthor
Wee Haggis

USAuthor

USA
2 Posts
Last here:
12 Jul 2017
Posted - 08 Jul 2017 :  12:51:34 AM Show Profile Visit USAuthor's HomepageSend USAuthor a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi. I'm a US author writing a historical novel set (mostly) in Arbroath in December-January 1819. I was hoping to connect with a local historian or someone who could tell me the political climate in the town then and the names of the taverns/pubs in existence.

The year 1819 is the one in which the Peterloo Massacre took place in Manchester and many in Scotland, particularly the weavers, were unhappy with the British government's failure to embrace needed reform. (In 1820 there would be the "Radical War" aka the Scottish Insurrection, which you may know better than I.)

I'd be happy for any help you can give me.

Regan

R. Walker
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.14 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *