A select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture gallery
†† ††
Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Off Topic banter
 THE LITTLE TRAINIE  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  08:54:24 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
In the news today is the sad story of the decline of Arbroath miniature railway, or the Little Trainie as itís known locally. Track overgrown, ticket office no longer used......what an sad state of affairs. Several comment son FB, but wonder what Shoppie users feel? We should know how it feels to be ignored.......our fantastic site has been left on the sidings, in favour of more modern, faster methods. In the words of the old Hurricane Smith hit song of the seventies, Donít Let it Die................! SOS and SOLT - Save our Site and Save Our Little Train.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 15 Jul 2018 :  9:21:19 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
55 people have read this post - yet nobody has made a comment. Just a word or two just might be the spark needed to reignite interest!!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
379 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 17 Jul 2018 :  08:28:24 AM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Sad to hear of a decline, it was always one of the number one memories photo-wise on FB. What's the problem? Has it changed hands or something?
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 19 Jul 2018 :  12:02:02 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Not changed hands. Apparently, one reason is that the Council moved the playpark nearer the town, and folk would have further to walk!! It obviously needs money to keep it going, and it looks as if it could do with some TLC, so who knows
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  10:31:01 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Kerr's Miniature Railway.. It was the furthest out up the links but back in the day holiday makers were all over.. We have a Miniature Railway down here in Yorkshire that I took my kids and grandkids to.. All due to my memories of Kerr's as a youngster.. It is Kirklees Light Railway, (on Facebook) They are doing ever so well.. They run all year round and I wish I knew their secret to being so popular so that Kerr's could copy ot get ideas.

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
379 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  12:44:22 PM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
I fear Terrymac, that it looks like your Kirklees Railway is simply in a different league, attracting much more adult-led visits. And at 3.5 miles is a more attractive "day out".
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  8:35:22 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yes Blastinaude. But it has expanded over the years. At one time it was less than a mile of track. There is also a tiny one in Thornes Park where I live. The local Council has contributed towards the Storage/Maintenance sheds and infrastructure/grounds welfare.. But the trains and Carriages are Enthusiast owned, operated and ran. Even the tracks maintained on a totally volunteer basis. It is only an outer and inner circle of track about 1200 metres in total but on good weather days the kids love it..

I loved Kerr's as a child, and, when I could not manage to get money to ride I delighted in running up and down following the train ride..

Terrymac
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  4:01:50 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Totally depressing to learn that after 3 generations (I think) Kerrís Miniature Railway is fighting for survival. We all have happy memories of Sunday family outing to the Links where we ate our picnic pieces sheltered behind the tank traps.

I vividly recall walking over the High Common past the Polish Memorial doon past Tutties, memories linger of walking past the switchies over by Gayfield then the Milk Bar and the Seaforth where you would find Horton with his monkey plying their trade. passing the largest open air swimming pool in Scotland, past the Phone box & red painted WWII mine, passing between the tennis courts and miniature golf. The links were buzzing with activity as the pends under the railway spilled large groups of funny speaking visitors onto the seaside. The smell of seaweed on the slipways, the Penny Arcade with bells dinging loudly to lure in the bairns wi a penny tae spend. The paddling pool always noisy and crowded, the swings also full squeaking with motion as we passed with towels under arm. Miniature buses on the promenade and the popular Miniature Railway with visitors lined up 20 deep for their turn.
I have many fond memories of these happy Summer days of my youth.
To learn of the troubled Kerrís Railway saddens me, But obviously the commerce is no longer there to sustain this beloved family venture.
I truly hope that this community asset can be saved. Maybe by a non profit group of enthusiast, possibly the council could take it over, although Iím sure most of us would hate to see our Forfar based council running the railway, they would surly mess it up!

I think the community could also help by staging more events out on The Links, the key is to encourage locals and visitors alike to get out there and enjoy this very special place.

1956 The Dickson family shelters behind a tank trap oot at The Links. Parents George & Aileen with a former girlfriend of my uncle Lyall Patterson, at their feet Alison (1) Colin (5) and the blonde stud out front is myself age 6.

A New Years Resolution; something that goes in one year and out the other.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  8:59:10 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Oh by, Brian! I was just aboot hiddiní yer hand as ye took a dander oot the Common tae The Little Train! Me and my siblings used to race to the top of the High Common, having walked through The Millieís and up Dishy, to be first to see the Switchies that weíre located beside Gayfield. You could just about smell the candy floss! I mentioned on another thread that Iíve just completed another lengthy ode about summer holidays spent at hame when we were bairns, but I canna figure out how to post it on here. I typed it on the I-pad but it wonít let me copy and paste. I may have to try and email to myself or something like that. Otherwise I will have to wait until I see my son in law for his advice.
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 22 Jul 2018 :  12:21:21 AM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Sounds like we walked the same route to the Links Wilma.
Pushing the pram loaded with picnic supplies we came past the Doctors Hoose on Hayshead Rd, doon through Hayswell Park then Ernie St. Passing the bowling green turning into Abbey Path then doon tae Lordburn onto Pamure St to Bridge St then up the port to Dishy St passing Rob Brothers, turn onto Colville then left onto Albert St which passed a hidden bowling green as well as the side of the Lads Club property before delivering you onto the High Common.

Even though that was 60 years ago I can close my eyes and vividly recall each step of the way, from avoiding the dog poop in Hayswell Park to Cromerís & George's Grocer on Ernest St, to passing Pete Smiths and Arthur Burnettís, Then the mill where my Granny toiled.
Many of these streets have long gone and only live in our memories.

BTW: re your grannie house. Fergus Square was part of my delivery domain, when I worked my first job for the Browns delivering newspapers (running my arse off), then with Charlie Fleming followed by Munro Butchers and finally delivering groceries ( again on the tear, running up and doon stairs) for Mace. I would bet that I delivered to your grannie at some point.

A New Years Resolution; something that goes in one year and out the other.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 22 Jul 2018 :  10:33:31 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
A few wee differences in our routes. We cut through the Wyndies, crossed Guthrie Port tae the fit oí the Highroad Brig then along Orchard Street, John Street West tae the West Port, up Dishy, then Colville Place, Victoria Street, to the top oí the Common. Sometimes we had a drink at the wallie before racing to the War Memorial. Thereafter Brian, our paths mightíve crossed! If we were at grannyís, we would cut across the Coupie, oot by the Lochy, roond by the back oí the Infirmary and doon the brae, under the Infirmary brig, and the puttiní greens met us at the other side. Again, a drink at the wallie,before headiní oot to a few hours of the equivalent of todayís visits to a theme park!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 22 Jul 2018 :  10:40:38 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Brian, as far as I remember, my granny got her papers from Chickie Foulis on Keptie Street. I can vaguely remember my grandad taking me with him to pay the papers, and he bought me a soft bodied doll, with a plastic face. I named her Judy, and I cherished her until she literally disintegrated. My grandad passed away on my 4th birthday. Iíll never forget him or Judy. Granny then got her papers, in her later years, from Mrs Moir in Lochlands Street. Always the Courier, Weekly News, Herald, Guide, Peoples Journal, News of The World (I sneaked that out to read in the ootside lavvy on a Monday) and the Sunday Post. I dinna ken when she had time to read them all, as she was never in!!!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 22 Jul 2018 :  11:36:48 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
im Trying to attach a photo - it keeps saying error 500. Help!!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
379 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 22 Jul 2018 :  6:29:26 PM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Wilma. At a guess, your picture is probably too big. The maximum size for The Shoppie is only 1/2 megabyte - tiny by today's standards. I tested one of my normal ones at 4MB and got that error. You'll need to "resize" it. Sadly, as before, I don't have a scooby doo how that's done on an iPad. Someone else will know.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 25 Jul 2018 :  08:20:56 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Today, more comments and pictures on the Little Trainie, on Red,Lichties. Letís see what develops.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 26 Jul 2018 :  12:55:41 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Took granddaughters to little Trainie this morning, and they left, 3 very happy little girls! They also had a hurl on the wee bus, which the youngest one, Sadie, thought was the best! At £2 a head, itís good value in todayís money. I relived my childhood by travelling with them on the Trainie. Only thing missing were the crowds! Took pix, but I canít get them to post here.
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Sandstone is a forum sponsor!
Canada
1026 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 26 Jul 2018 :  5:06:19 PM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Kerr's was not the last thing out the links. I remember the bathing pavilion called locally as the white elephant.

It always seemed to smell of pee...Ö

Sandstone party See you on "TheShoppie"
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 27 Jul 2018 :  09:12:33 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Sandstone, now that youíre on again, how can I get my poem on here? Iíve typed it up (perhaps unwisely) on my I Pad. , rather than the laptop, and I canít cut and paste. Any suggestions?
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 28 Jul 2018 :  08:17:36 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Poem posted eventually. Re the little Trainie - article in todayís paper, apparently MP Kirsten Hair is taking up the cause, and hopefully help will be forthcoming to upgrade and maintain the iconic attraction.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 28 Jul 2018 :  2:54:31 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
It would be great if the Council would actually look at the cost of all the materials required for extending the rail track.. In Fact the same size track (second hand) is available from Mull and West Highland Railway that has closed down..
The main problem is uplifting, removal, transport, off loading and refitting.. A fair amount of volunteer labour would be needed and even then it would be costly.. There are over twenty 10 and 1/4 inch gauge train rides in UK but only "Kerrs" in Scotland now..

The Financial backing of the Council is needed or some great philanthropist.

Terrymac
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 29 Jul 2018 :  08:34:37 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
When I took the kids on board the Trainie last week, I was a bit saddened to see the neglected look of the route. At one point the long grass was brushing against the bairns legs as we rattled along. Peeling paint, etc. Whatís the answer? There is more activity on FB, with councillors putting up their contact numbers. There used to be a large board advertising the Trainie at the entrance to the Links. Whatís wrong in putting it up again??
Page: of 2Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.47 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *