All about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractions

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Off Topic banter
 AN ART INSTALLATION - WHAT IF IT WAS ARBROATH ABBE  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
379 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 28 Oct 2018 :  10:32:12 AM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Big yellow slashes suddenly appeared on the side of the 1000+ year-old Cité in Carcassonne – and they’ve been there all summer, since May. I viewed it as being rather worse than the disappointment of going specifically to see Edinburgh Castle and finding it covered in scaffolding. However that is probably necessary whereas this was willful and avoidable. The effect for almost all visitors to the town (the 2nd most popular destination in France), especially from the (fake) footbridge built especially for photo taking, is utterly meaningless and stupid. There was a fair amount of controversy in the paper, and I must say that I came down firmly on the side of the art installation as being “a load of rubbish”, “defacing the iconic landmark” - but I'm old!

However, the local newspaper reported the other week that it was coming down and mentioned a viewpoint at the “back door” into La Cité (a steep climb and no parking). So off we went and came back with the third photo – a fantastic effect. So now I’m in two minds about the “defacing” of a 1000 year-old ancient monument to achieve this. It would certainly have helped no end if there was any indication of the existence of the viewpoint, especially inside La Cité itself.

What would you have thought if they’d done this to our Abbey, roughly “ages with” La Cité (and linked by Simon de Montford) ??

BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
379 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 29 Nov 2018 :  09:12:26 AM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well that didn't work Wilma - need to try something else!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 30 Nov 2018 :  09:49:31 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Sorry for the late reply - I’ve just seen this post from last year! Unfortunately, a group of knuckle dragging “artists” in the town saw fit to deface our Auld Lady with real paint quite recently. It didna look guid. Now great expense to remove it. By the way, I was in Guthrie Port last week, at The Learning Tree, housed in what, in our day, used to be the Soshy hardware store. Sitting there, and looking out the window, I was transported back about 60 years remembering all the vibrant, busy shops, and traffic going both ways, on this once busy thoroughfare. Although the occupants nowadays are trying hard to make it a success, it is virtually deserted. The Port was the shopping Mecca of my childhood days, everything anfamiky could want in one small street. The town is in a bad way, not helped in the slightest by the latest crazy parking charges all over town. Oh dear, I’m gettin’ sentimental now, but it is a very sad situation. And in answer to your initial question, I’m no keen on the yella patterns on the chateau!!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
379 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 03 Dec 2018 :  08:06:45 AM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Indeed Wilma, 60 years back (actually more) I would be dotting in and out the many Co-opy shops "up the Port" on a Saturday morning fetching the "messages" and paying bills. I wrote a long time ago (but can't immediately find it) about the Co-opy shop assistants having to fill in the divi number and issuing the little slip, even for each and every transaction, even for 3p (two rolls?). As an IT person many years later, the amount of manpower involved in processing this later in the head office, to calculate the annual divi has always fascinated me. I did ask at the time (but nobody responded) if any member had worked on this. But it's not just Guthrie Port that's declined, it seems to be everywhere.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
379 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 03 Dec 2018 :  08:09:42 AM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Meant to say . . . . . "anfamiky" ????
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Sandstone is a forum sponsor!
Canada
1027 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 03 Dec 2018 :  11:07:39 AM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm,
My comment would be a waste of pent.
The Cité is a wonderful place to visit, I must admit to looking over the battlements aand shouting "I already got one".
We purchased two leather sculptures there which hang on our wall to this day.
Dave

Sandstone party See you on "TheShoppie"
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.27 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *