Details of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTube

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Off Topic banter
 BLASTIN(DAMP)AUDE  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
379 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 13 Nov 2018 :  1:52:59 PM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
It occurs to me that there must be at least one Shopper out there that I haven’t foisted this story on already, when it happened back on 15th October.

We’d done a week’s child-minding in Bournemouth. My phone rang at 6 a.m. Monday morning in Bournemouth, our French neighbour - “are you in England? – then STAY THERE – there’s terrible flooding”. We didn’t of course - we flew back as planned, but had to spent the night in Girona until allowed back into our village. absolutely slap bang in the middle of a full scale national disaster. This site has some relevant pictures including of our village Villemoustaussou,

https://www.thelocal.fr/20181015/in-pictures-deadly-floods-hit-south-western-france

We were however extremely lucky. There was up to three feet in our garden (see our neighbour’s photos) but it stopped just a few inches short of the floor level of our bungalow. Not so lucky was our caravan – it got well soggy inside. It has however dried out well. The garage also copped it where the “perishables” were some clothes and bedding stored to make room for visitors (plus lots already stockpiled for the tip) and which were submerged, together with some books (including a signed copy of “Scotland The What”), Also my two guitars. They look fine now, but they will probably suffer in later life. The footwells of a car we store for Canadian friends were full of water, but it too has dried out well. Lastly our pool is a terrible mess of clay and with electrics damaged – could take weeks or months to make good.

So a wee bit of hassle and no stress whatsoever. We are alive, and have a warm and comfortable home - unlike hundreds! Four died in the village of Villegailhenc, exactly one mile north of our house, and another eight in the town of Trebes 6 miles east, and 4 miles south in Carcassonne itself, there was massive flooding at the River Aude, so our pad was well and truly surrounded. I hear that this disaster was hardly mentioned in the UK despite 15 people dying and 98 hospitalised. Trebes is where the jihadist went on the rampage in a supermarket in March. Surely the story of the woman whose husband was shot dead by the jihadist, and whose parents were now both killed in the flood, must have been worth a UK mention? And now California. Is it better to be killed when you open your front door and are crushed by the flood, or in your car tying to escape the inferno? What a world. I’m fully aware we have absolutely nothing to whinge about.

Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 13 Nov 2018 :  8:31:31 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear of your "disaster".. Glad that you are safe and well.. As you said, very little reported in the UK, not much on Facebook either.

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 13 Nov 2018 :  8:32:46 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear of your "disaster".. Glad that you are safe and well.. As you said, very little reported in the UK, not much on Facebook either.

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 15 Nov 2018 :  10:10:51 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Goodness, Pete - what an awful thing to happen! Thank goodness you are both ok. Water causes such horrendous damage, even a wee drappie like when the washing machine leaks! It’s at times like these, as you say, we have nothing really to complain about. I won’t write to Dave Law and request that old Tommy Steele choon, Water, Water, Everywhere!!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
379 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 16 Nov 2018 :  07:27:16 AM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Or Wilma . . . . did Muddy Waters do a version of "Twisting by the Pool"?
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1701 Posts
Last here:
16 Aug 2019
Posted - 16 Nov 2018 :  12:13:24 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
How about The Rockin Berries “the water is over my head”! At least your sense of humour hasn’t been dampened!
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
371 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2018
Posted - 16 Nov 2018 :  1:09:17 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wow Pete, Sorry to hear about this, I saw your pictures on Facebook, but missed the story. The loss of lives is so sad and I think it makes us all wonder if would we have survived if that was us. Or would for example my Boy Scout training kick me into survival mode?
I was VERY saddened to learn about your guitars, no doubt of huge sentimental value to you. Happy though to learn your house stayed high and dry. Let's hope that this was a once in a lifetime event and not a precursor to what’s ahead for us all thanks to Global Warming and extreme weather changes.

We never know what's ahead nor when our number is up, but being prepared to run to safety seems to be more and more advisable.
To be honest my Maxine is always one radio announcement away from hitting high doh and I find myself going the other direction in an effort to lessen Max's anxiety, calming her down with my outward appearance of total lack of concern. I play this roll to a fault.

Over the last ten years (as many of you know) we have lived in our Motorhome and criss crossed the USA following Maxine’s career, during that time we have come close but not dangerously close to an amazing diversity of life threatening danger.

2008 Our first assignment in McKinney Texas, Tornadoes swept through the immediate area, we took shelter in the clubhouse as two tornadoes passed close to our location, one passed just to the South and another just North.

2009 Pensacola, Florida & camping out on the gorgeous Perdido Key an outer sand bank not even 1/4 mile wide. Hurricane Ida forced us to evacuate 3 hours North/West into Alabama. During that white knuckle drive we were thrown all over the road by turbulent cross winds.

2010 Monterey, California, I jumped out of bed, hopping on one leg at a time as I pulled on my pants, Being from Arbroath I went right into fight mode as I ran for the door, some arsehole was rocking our coach. Maxine stopped me by shouting from bed, BRI it’s an Earthquake!”

2011 Lahaina, Maui. (Obviously we left the bus parked in CA) we were renting an lovely apartment from a local couple and luckily were staying up the hill when an undersea Earthquake launched a Tsunami in every direction of the South Pacific, Waterfront Maui was under threat so everyone on the waterfront (including hotels) were evacuated and moved up the hill (where we were staying). It was a bit of a non event, the tsunami wave measuring only 8-10 ft damage was negligible and loss of life zero.

2012 Louisville, Kentucky. We took shelter from a cluster of Tornadoes at Maxines daughters house. Returning to our coach sitting in an open field we discover that a micro tornado passed within 1/4 mile.

2012 Waxahachie, Texas. A large Texas sized storm deluged us with wave after wave of torrential rain storms causing widespread flooding and risk. As fate would have it we were camping right on the banks of Waxahachie Creek which overflowed into our campground, the Sheriff parked outside our window ready to evacuate the RV park if the water rose to high. It stopped about 6inches deep and then started to drop.

2014 Oroville, California. More tremors shaking the bus and a historic severe long lasting drought forcing water rationing and fire risk.

2017 Oroville, CA. 2 years after extreme drought California was hit with a “River of Moisture” from the Pacific. Twice the rainfall than a normal winter caused the Oroville dam to fill to capacity and then spilling over the 'emergency spillway’ for the first time since the dam was built. that spill caused dangerous erosion and in fear of a dam failure forced an emergency evacuations in the Feather River Watershed. We were safe enough on high ground and behind the dam, but Maxine was managing the Dialysis Clinic and they stayed open to treat patients who did not evacuate, they had an understanding that police would notify them immediately if a dam failure looked imminent.

2018 Redding, CA. On the last two days of our assignment the Carr Fire swept right into Redding destroying homes and businesses. We were all packed up for an early 3:00am start on our 5 day drive to Chattanooga when the snow of ashes falling on us turned into chunks of charcoal. We decided right then to lift the hydraulic jacks & start driving south to safety. On our Drive out of town Maxine was terrified at what she saw out her window, the whole ridge on the north/west of Redding was orange with leaping flames.

2018 Chattanooga, Tennessee. So here we sit until January 12th, already we made the choice to stay in our coach as one tornado passed through our area. There will more than likely be more, as we are staying in a region of 'Tornado Alley'.

Now on this mornings news I learn: The North east ground to a halt because of a record (and unexpected) snowstorm with people trapped in their cars all night. I’m thinking our Christmas plans to drive 783 miles (12-15hrs on good roads) to visit my grandchildren in Brantford Ontario may be ill advised and needs to be revisited.

I guess the moral is, if Bri & Max come visiting, it’s advisable to be prepared evacuate, a calamity might be right behind us. big grin

A New Years Resolution; something that goes in one year and out the other.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
379 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 17 Nov 2018 :  09:00:16 AM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
That's an impressive litany of near-misses Brian. And weren't you around Nacadoches when the Columbia Shuttle came down? (I can't find your original post). Normally your travelling lifestyle should make you more difficult to hit as a moving target, but you seem to be INCREASING you chances no end. So apart from the tornados, I hope you're not too near the rail track at the moment – they’re probably not properly maintaining the Choo Choo any more.

BTW there is not a sign of damage to my guitars now and actually they have no sentimental value - just "value" (coz I couldn't afford to replace them), and anyway I've only played them for a few minutes since the spring. So neither they, nor (annoyingly) about £500 uninsured loss in the caravan and pool (or 50 tons of muddy water) is really worthy of your being saddened – but thanks for the thought anyway – especially compared with the news this morning that over 1000 people are now missing in California.

And Wilma, I spent all of Thursday evening trying to find a choon to match (or better) your Tommy Steele offering – but failed. It’s always impossible to top your encyclopedic memory!
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.45 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *