Arbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connection

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 History & Information
 Arbroath History, People and Places
 PADDY  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1660 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 22 Nov 2018 :  10:06:00 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
The Keptie Friends group have erected a storyboard at the grave of wee dog Oaddy, located in The Widdy, across from McDonald Park, aka The Cowpie. paddy was a wee 2/1 Hughland Cycling Battalion Regiment mascot, and was buried in The Widdy in 1918. As a bairn playing in The Widdy, I was always fascinated by the mystery surrounding the wee gravestone. Now, the mystery is solved, and Paddy’s story is there for all to enjoy - unless it gets vandalised. Hopefully not.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1660 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 22 Nov 2018 :  10:07:51 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Please excuse the dreadful typing errors in my post above. Blasted predictive text.............or my fleein’ fingers!!
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
04 Jan 2019
Posted - 19 Dec 2018 :  5:49:06 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Fleein' fingers.. there's nay flees on you..

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
886 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 04 Jan 2019 :  4:33:15 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yes I was invited to be at the unveiling of the Information board at Paddy's Grave in I think it was November 2018 as Jean Stewart , Keptie Friends had asked me to provide the Photograph of the 2/1 Highland Cycling Battalion at Montrose before the Battalion were moved to Arbroath and the MacDonald Park (the Coup) as a tented camp. This photograph shows a Collie dog that may be Paddy in the photograph and over the many years of my research into the 2/1 Highland Cyclist Battalion I've not found any photographs of its dog Mascot in the newspapers. The Arbroath Herald and the Courier & Advertiser etc of 1917/18 has no mention or photographs of the Dog obviously due to War Reporting Restrictions . The Arbroath newspaper did not report the death either of Paddy the HCB Regimental dog and it was not until 1968 when Mr Clyde , Parks Supt was about to retire from his Arbroath Parks and Cemeteries post that a newspaper and photograph of Mr Clyde laying a Wreath at the wee dog grave . Mr Clyde being Parks and Cemeteries Superintendent had during his years in the post laid a Wreath at the Regimental Dog Grave and I think he continued it for a number of years after his retiral from the parks Dept. . I was in the Police in West Yorkshire in the late 1960s but when I retired back home in 1998 I started laying a poppy cross each Armistice Day Anniversary and again on the wee dog's death on 28th January each year . You will recall that in the 1970s the Angus Council decided to widen the track passing the Bowling green to join up with the main road as the Ministry of Transport were moving its driving test office from the premises at the foot of Mount Zion Brae to beside the MacDonald Park . Thankfully the Council relocated the Regimental Dog Gravestone to beside the line of trees of Keptie Hill . Yes, a number of trees that had been there for years were felled for the road widening so now the Regimental dog grave is near to the wood and near to the "New 1980s" Arbroath High School back entrance .

Patrick w Anderson

keptie
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.51 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *