Famous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about Arbroath

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Off Topic banter
 Would the last person to leave The Shoppie . . . .  
Author Topic Next Topic 
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
355 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 01 Jan 2019 :  2:22:43 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
I was quite put out to have very little internet access for many days over Xmas and miffed not to be able to contribute to the seasonal jollity on The Shoppie with best wishes for the friendly shoppers. Now logged in to find a barren desert of apathy. Nevertheless, a belated Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to anyone that happens to look in and would the last person to leave The Shoppie please turn the light out . . . .

PeteP
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1660 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 01 Jan 2019 :  10:12:01 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Peter, and a Happy New Year. I have looked into the Shoppie every day and, struggling for something to discuss, ended up commenting about the new parking charges in the town. I notice 21 folks have read it, but not one person commented. It’s a hot topic, so I was a bit surprised! I’ve tried various ways of firing up this site again, but hardly any takers. What’s the answer ??? Only a few years ago we had long humorous discussions about great topics, but no one wants to play.
Anyway, I heard Don Robertson’s request on Daves programme, I”d never heard that version of Sleighride by The Ventures before. It was excellent. I’ve added it to my playlist. The intro was almost identical to that of Walk Don’t Run and Perfidia. Was that the group’s trademark??
Don’t know if you listened to Daves show last week - it was pre recorded as Dave was on holiday - and it was really quite dreadful! I emailed Dave, in a light hearted and humorous way, to let him know my feelings, and he took it all in his stride.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
355 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 01 Jan 2019 :  11:30:35 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Dave played "Blue Moon" by The Ventures back on 24th Nov. I had this once upon a time on an LP (actually 3 EP's) and it set me searching on Youtube. Among things I found was a 1965 Xmas album. I thought it brill and sent Dave a link. He might have got a copy, as he played "Sleighride" on 8th Dec (probably as the antidote to the so-called (1956) Eddie Cochrane track with the Holly Twins, that he played for me on the same show . . . . groo!! Did you hear it?).

I'd never heard "Sleighride" before either, and I told him that this had to represent the epitome of guitar playing enjoyment for me, like Perfidia with (sleigh?) bells on (must give it a try before the Xmas spirit wears off). Definitely their trademark sound, Fender Jaguars instead of Stratocasters like the Shads, and a lot less echo.

But meanwhile, I didn't hear Dave's show on Saturday 15th as I was enduring a rolling roadblock at the time with France's "Gilets Jaune", round the Toulouse Ring Road, on the way to UK. The following Saturday I only managed to hear a miserable 27 mins of his show due to internet problems and I managed to record this Saturday's show (all but 31 mins lost due to the internet) but I haven't been able to listen to it yet. So I didn't hear Robbo's request.

I went on to find another later Xmas compilation, which includes the tracks from the 1965 album. Here's a link to the "album" I made - listen yourself silly with this lot. You have four days left 'til the Xmas decs have to come down!

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ag1sXQgfCda0grMfGkf7G03voxVU9w

BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
355 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 02 Jan 2019 :  09:09:31 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Correction - should be Fender JAZZmasters!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1660 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 02 Jan 2019 :  11:33:21 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on The Ventures, and the link to your Xmas Album. Had a quick look and will have a listen later. At the moment I’m listening to Bill Kenwrights Christmas Day show on The I player. I just love Bill’s shows, as you get little anecdotes along with the varied mix of music. All his favourites, but I just love them.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
04 Jan 2019
Posted - 04 Jan 2019 :  4:31:57 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hope everyone had an excellent Christmas and a Great New Year.. Just getting over a wee infection I picked up so on Antibiotics.. No wee drams fir me..

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
355 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 04 Jan 2019 :  5:53:48 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
And Happy New Year to you too Terrymac - keep taking the tablets!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
355 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 14 Jan 2019 :  11:03:42 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Wilma. Just catching up yesterday on Dave Law's Saturday radio show from 29th Dec. Really poor performance by the internet that day, but I did manage to catch his words “Boy, did I get some abuse from Wilma” referring to what he'd played on Xmas Day. Sadly I failed to hear/record the show on Xmas morning due to pressures of grandparenthood in Bournemouth, so one wonders what could possibly have been the nature of his crimes to generate such venom from your good self?

Hope you caught Ricky Nelson «Someday» on 5th Jan. It was one of my first 45's. Absolutely fantastic number with wonderful guitar by James Burton – set me on my way back in 1958. Great to hear it on the radio.

Happy New Year BTW. I seemed to have missed that on 1st Jan.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1660 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 14 Jan 2019 :  12:30:10 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Pete, I wrote a friendly?? Criticism of his show to Dave, in which Inthreatened to boycott his programme if he didnt stop playing sh.., sorry terrible records like the Alexis Korner muck,(his version of Honky Tonk Women) the Weather Girls and Losndel Rio, and inferior live versions of songs rather than the originals!! I went on to say that the reason I like his show is because of the music from the 50s, 60s and some 70s, and I hope he doesn’t let it lapse into every other tuppence halfpenny show that seems to be the norm nowadays!! It was supposed to be a gentle dig for him to up his game, which he did the following week. Radio 2 is slipping in my estimations as well, so perhaps I had better dust down the suitcase full of golden oldies from the loft, or listen in to Choon a day, if I can find the link on my laptop!!! A good grumble now and then does the DJ a power of good.....eh Dave??
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
355 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 15 Jan 2019 :  09:29:56 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Back on familiar territory Wilma – now we’ve got something to bang on about (and disagree?) . . . . . others can join in! Strong stuff eh? Poor old Dave. Ye cannae please a’ the folk a’ the time.

I applaud some of the alternative versions he’s plays – interesting to hear and a matter of taste. Sure some are dire, but some are brill - e.g. the original of “Lets Twist Again” by Hank Ballard he played – fantastic! - so much better than Chubby Checker. I find these plays educational for me to re-aquaint me with other artists (like his recent play of the Ventures). But not all alternatives, you know well my very unpatriotic views on some (most) of the UK covers of US hits of the period, the pinnacle having to be The Bob Cort Skiffle Group’s rendition of Chuck Berry’s “School Day”!!

Often, Dave comments that a version turns out not to be the original he remembered. There was a plague in the 70’s, of 50’s/early 60’s stars re-recording their hits because they believed that the massive leap forward in recording technology would give a far better recording than the original. Then put them out on albums. They were universally mistaken. Among those that jar most with me on Dave's show, are the remakes by Ricky Nelson and Duane Eddy, without James Burton’s guitar and Jim Horn’s sax respectively, and generally using “younger” musicians. These were invariably devoid of the atmosphere of the originals. Also Buddy Holly's notorious Singing Pallbearers added to his hits after his death. Groo!!

Then there’s the live versions. I think that just occasionally these can be more exciting but are often very poor like the cabaret versions of Bobby Darin’s great hits that Dave occasionally plays. But none worse than tracks Dave continues to play recently from a live concert by Chuck Berry – even after I whinged. Horrendous, but sadly absolutely true to a gig we saw in Bournemouth in the 80’s, where one of my one-time guitar heroes turned out to be absolute rubbish!

But I actually think that these quirks raise Dave’s show way above the rest and stop it being that tuppenny halfpenny 50’s/60’s/70’s chart show that you find elsewhere, when the diet is of nothing but a bland wall-to-wall top twenty hits. However, I wouldn’t be the slightest surprised if that is exactly what the majority of Dave’s listeners actually want, my tastes are pretty irrelevant. However, I still particularly wish he would include more than just a couple of 50’s rockers, in place of the “pre R’n’R” crooner/songstress offerings, that usually populate the 50’s slots in his monthly show, and will continue to suggest and whinge. But, ”Ye cannae please a’ the folk a’ the time”.

I’ll do a PM about “Choons” (in case you are reduced to having to disinterre my choices). I’ve not changed it, but it’s amazing how five years down the line, a lot of my selections would have been so radically different.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1660 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 16 Jan 2019 :  09:22:37 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
As you say, poor Dave! But my comments were tongue in cheek, and I think he took it all in good fun. It’s a good job we all have different tastes. I sometimes think Dave, especially for the request slots, plays what he thinks individuals like, usually when he can’t find what was requested. Mind you, I think the needle stuck for the mannie who keeps asking for The Wonder of You!! For a while I was getting repeats of Some Of Shelly’s Blues, Stars Fell on Stockton, and Love de Luxe, all if which I love! I’ll keep listening though, as he’s a great guy, and he never forgets to mention all my granddaughters whenever I request something for one of their birthdays. Thanks for the Choons link.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
355 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 20 Jan 2019 :  08:52:03 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
And stuck on "Jig-a-Jig" too, so I've noticed - but a good choon.

Yes, the Wonder of Elvis - I keep trying to get Dave to add some roughage to Dennis Noble's diet, in the form of some of Elvis's original 1954-56 Sun Records recordings - again pushing for the original studio recordings rather than iffy live offerings. Real R'n'R.

I think a good example yesterday of something I said above. Dave played a couple of dog rough live tracks. One by Gene Vincent came over (for me) as conveying the excitement of the gig, the other by Jerry Lee Lewis was a just an unbalanced racket. Ye cannae win.

Lots of Dave's stuff yesterday (and recent shows) that I either have totally forgotten or never heard back in the day. I think it's great to hear them although (by definition really) some are not that good, otherwise they would have been hits and still played regularly. I'm thinking that there are not many 60's radio shows around where something that peaked at No.50 in the charts would get a play (Jess Conrad I think).

We'll see how well Dave's birthday system works this coming Saturday. I hope my internet behaves.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1660 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 21 Jan 2019 :  09:19:53 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
I had a wee laugh when Dave played Cherry Pie last week! I remember when I was a wee lassie at Inverbrothock, a young lad painting the classroom windows (from the outside), sang the opening few lines of Cherry Pie repeatedly, in that well known Arbroath/American accent! That was my introduction to the song, so it was nice to hear it again. I listened to Daves show on Saturday, but unfortunately missed my request as my sister phoned about 11.20 and as sisters do, we chatted for quite a while! Speaking if relatives, there was a photo on RLW at the weekend of a group of young rugby players from the High, in 1963. A classmate named everyone one of the boys, except one. I stepped up to the plate, with the missing name..........young John Ogston from Carnoustie!!
  Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.5 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *