Details of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTube
Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 Member Announcements
 A PLEA TO ALL SHOPPERS  
Author Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  10:45:34 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Here I sit, broken -hearted
Shoppie readers have departed
If they dinna come back soon
Dave micht haul the shutters doon

Oor Shoppie, whaur we used tae meet
Tae blether, laugh, or hae a greet
And meet wi folk fae a the airts
Fae Hame or fae some foreign pairts

Schules we gaed tae, games we played
Teachers nick names, whaur we stayed,
Hayshead, Airlie, Strathie, Cairnie
Toddled roond them as a bairnie

Frasers, Shankies, NTG
Minors o the ABC
Telly shows in black and white
Great, or just a load o sh*t*

Ony thing that came tae mind
Up tae date, or auld Lang syned
Was talked aboot wi love and pride
The Shoppie doors were open wide

But noo, the cobwebs are profuse
The doors creak through the lack o use
We ask fit reason could there be?
The answer - its technology

FB is the culprit here
Its guard the Shoppie members veer
Awa fae couthy, cosy craic
Tae quicker posts and answers back

I haud my hand up, Im as bad
But every day I feel gie sad
That I And every one time Shopper
Micht see oor auld freend come a cropper.

If I could rub Aladdins lamp
Id wish The Shoppie a revamp
A site tae beat the very best
And no tae see it laid tae rest.

Flintstone

flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 22 Mar 2019 :  1:14:14 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Seventeen folk have read the poem. Naebody answered, commented or ticked a like or dislike. I posted it to get a reaction. No takers.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 23 Mar 2019 :  07:54:51 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Another brilliant bit of poetry Flintstone, but sadly so accurate. But the lack of response might actually have been a techie issue. I could see your work last night but could not log in to respond. Mark my words there will be a flood of responses today!!!!
Cobus
Wee Haggis

Cobus

Scotland
13 Posts
Last here:
23 Mar 2019
Posted - 23 Mar 2019 :  3:56:53 PM Show Profile Visit Cobus's HomepageSend Cobus a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flintstone

Seventeen folk have read the poem. Naebody answered, commented or ticked a like or dislike. I posted it to get a reaction. No takers.

Aye, there wiz a taker: me! I wiz busy excavatin a verse oot of ma heid, bit wiz sidetracked by my missus, needin jobs done.sad
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 27 Mar 2019 :  6:51:34 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
A week has gone by, almost.replies welcome!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 15 Apr 2019 :  09:02:47 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Ive been checking every day. Not even Sandstone has made a comment, good, bad or indifferent!
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Sandstone is a forum sponsor!
Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 17 Apr 2019 :  4:25:38 PM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Ah Wilma, I'm definitely guilty there. I did read it and think it is wonderful. Your verse, I find, really makes me feel quite nostalgic and makes me reach for my rose coloured glasses.
What have I learned?
I think the shoppie needs an active core of about 50 posters to keep it alive and interesting.
There is no question we had a sense of community and if we didn't know each other we certainly knew of each other.
Other social media sites thrive on anonymity and the "filters" I appreciate on the Shoppie don't seem to matter. There were very few hurtful comments on the Shoppie.
A bulletin board, by definition, means one posts a thought or a story and waits for several responses. A conversation can last days, weeks or months! The next generation has far less patience and wants instant gratification. They don't wait for daily news papers, don't write letters and have instant communication with anyone wherever they are. A lot of plusses but a lot of negatives as we graduate to news sources that give us the slant we seek rather than unbiased reporting. I worry that this is a root cause of the polarizing we see in society at the moment.

Blah Blah, what I am struggling with is the fact that I feel I have guardianship of a truly honest, heartfelt and very diverse record of a small but significant piece of Arbroath history here on The Shoppie.

1) I want to keep it alive if possible.

2) I want to preserve it for the future.

3) I have no idea how!

BUT! Wilma, you are a true inspiration....

Thank you,

Dave (Sandstone)

Sandstone party See you on "TheShoppie"
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 20 Apr 2019 :  5:09:14 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Dave, thank you for responding. I just dont know what to do anymore. The Shoppie was the first site I used to consult every day when I went online. It had been going strong a good while before I discovered it, and I thought it was wonderful - put me back in touch with old Airlie Crescent pals from childhood days, and also made me some new ones, like Blastinaude, Ex Braemar and The Dicko Kid, as well as the late Pensioner Busybody. Sadly I never had the pleasure of meeting her in the flesh, but I felt as If I had known her for years. The Shoppie brought me hours of pleasure, whether posting comments and topics myself or just reading post from others. At the heart of it all was Oor Toon, its folk at home and abroad, and its history. Im glad I visited and shopped.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 22 Apr 2019 :  10:13:36 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Perhaps we could encourage the return of a bit more advertising on our pages.

For example, apparently there is to be a Quiz in aid of The Learning Tree at the Arbroath Bowling Club at the top of Dishland Hill this Friday, 26th April, 7:00p.m. for a 7:30p.m. start. And apparently the Question Master is to be someone called "Wilma". Is this any relation Flintstone ???? I heard it on the Davevine.

Perhaps also this "Wilma", whoever she is, could drop a few plugs for The Shoppie between rounds, extolling its obvious virtues, AND for the "What Wilma Wants" feature on Dave Law's Saturday Morning show on Radio North Angus.
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 22 Apr 2019 :  1:33:15 PM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Howard and David had a few issues some years back and the plan was hatched to "move" TheShoppie offshore to safeguard the site. That move did it's purpose and here we are. I am not short of support from "The Editor" or ever have been. The two things that create difficulty are that the software to run this type of site is obsolete and we do lack some local management in Arbroath to get around and do some of the initiatives suggested. I know if I'd still been in Arbroath, i'd happily do this stuff.
Also bear in mind if we are to entertain some commercial activities, the responsibility increases by an order of magnitude. This takes us back to the first sentence!

In the evolution of the WEB we lost out to a more modern platform. These platforms are now suffering from problems of their own, mostly revolving around security and privacy. For instance its now common for employers to review facebook postings as part of the hiring process. For some users it's the same as turning over your private diaries, with pictures, to your prospective employer. There is not one instance I can think of that this would be a good idea!

I'm thinking "the Shoppie" a safe place to meet and chat about our common roots in Aberbrothock. Has anyone even had so much as spam originating from this site?

Jeez I sound like an old fart.

Dave

Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 22 Apr 2019 :  1:41:05 PM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
If I could rub Aladdins lamp
Id wish The Shoppie a revamp
A site tae beat the very best
And no tae see it laid tae rest.

Flintstone

I can't say it any better!

flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 22 Apr 2019 :  2:11:45 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Pete, the forthcoming quiz will indeed be hosted by myself - I have made up the questions and will be quizmaster. However, the bulk of the work will be carried out by the staff, clients and their parents, of The Learning Tree, and Im sure we will have an entertaining evening, raising some much-needed funds in the process! Hopefully Mr Law will come along and participate!! Dave was an erstwhile member of our quiz team, Moys Mix, which has had more line-ups than the Searchers! We now attend quizzes under the names Smokies and Neeps, derived from Bob and Moyra Carswell both being smokers and natives of Arbroath, and me and my hubby being rural dwellers with farming connections!!!! Over the years we have heard some really funny quiz team names, eg 3 Smarties and a tube. 2 Pats and a Prat. Halal, is it meat your looking For? (Thats a good one!) and a rather rude one The Big Cocks of the North, a rather flattering name chosen by some patrons of the Station Hotel!!!
Getting back to The Shoppie revival, Id love it. Without photos, the RL site is very quiet, as has been proved whenever Brian Forsyth takes a break from putting up his pics. We can only try
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 22 Apr 2019 :  3:23:22 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well Wilma, that sounds almost worth the 2125km drive (my car only does kilometres) to be a spectator . . . . . almost!

You could post a photie!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 23 Apr 2019 :  08:28:24 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
We had 15 teams registered at the last count, so if we get 20 Ill be pleased. There is another quiz on in the town that night, so who knows. Im looking forward to it. Perhaps Mr Law can give a wee feedback on his show on Saturday. I not be able to listen in this week as we are off to Balmoral - no, not to see Liz and Phil, but to watch our 2 eldest granddaughters take part in a fun run. I will be asking Dave to play something for Joelys 10th birthday which is on Sunday.
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 23 Apr 2019 :  9:19:08 PM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
I once bet my brother in law that I could get the quiz master at a local pub in Chester to ask "Who Farted"

We went along on the quiz night, I registered our name as "Hoof Hearted" so won my bet when we were announced as participants.
See just how infantile I can be?

flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 24 Apr 2019 :  09:16:36 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Never heard that one before, but have heard Alpha Q, and The Fact Hunts!!!! Naughty..........but affa funny!!! You always get the usual ones, Doughballs, Dunderheids, Thick as Mince, and similar. A group of ladies Imknow were The Chippendolls, and my friend Moyra and I have been Hinge and Bracket. When our hubbies join us, we are Hinge, Bracket and a couple of screws!!!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 24 Apr 2019 :  7:45:05 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Re Dave on Saturday (if he's there!) Wilma, I shall be recording as usual - t'internet willing (it wasn't last Saturday) - I'll send you a link to hear your request.

Great team names both. Back in the Eighties I organised a whole week of inter-company quiz nights for Children In Need. There were some right crackers of names from the likes of the rozzers (drug squad and fraud squad) and from the hospital departments. Some had to be censored by T'CommitTaaay. B***** me if I cannot remember a single one. Isn't old age affy? (Wilma excepted of course!!).

flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 25 Apr 2019 :  08:55:20 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thats great Pete. Ive asked for White Horses, by Jacky, as Joely is a keen rider, and is horse daft! Her taste in music is Ariana Grande and Little Mix, both of whom would surely make Uncle Dave bite chunks out of his turntables!!! Her little sister, aged 3, is into Fan Dabi Dozi, which I purchased (shame on me) for her mummy nearly 40 years ago!!!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  3:48:06 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
I've PM'd the links to Dave's Show to you Wilma.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 28 Apr 2019 :  10:19:41 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Cheers Peter. Ill have a look after I come back fae the Kirk!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 04 May 2019 :  7:38:44 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Wilma, my spies are reporting rave reviews of the EVs Tribute show "Walk Right Back" coming to the Caird Hall on 30th March. Perhaps you need to pop along as a "Mystery Shopper" to check the authenticity, being an enthusiast.

https://www.walkrightback.com/

Page: of 2 Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.59 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *