Details of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTube

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 Member Announcements
 A PLEA TO ALL SHOPPERS  
Author Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 07 May 2019 :  1:25:46 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yes I did see that Pete, must check the dates though - if it’s 30 March, then we’re ower late!!! Thanks again for the links to Daves Show and Joely’s request last week. Receive s loud and clear. By the way, your pal Dave Ramsay is in today’s Courier, having penned an ode about Arbroath FC’s winning of the Division One championship. Picture too. Check it out
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 07 May 2019 :  11:43:21 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thanks for that pointer Wilma. I wonder if he knows it's beeen published, he's on hols.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 09 May 2019 :  08:15:31 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Don’t know where to post this, but there are rumblings on RLWW, and unfortunate rumblings at that. The site relies on the posting of photos by members, mainly of old Arbroath and its inhabitants, and this instigates discussion and comments from members who remember the town in its heyday. There has arisen an issue of copyright regarding the photos (some members do not want their pics copied and reposted without asking,) whilst others think this is wrong. I have no idea about copyright rules (although I wouldn’t appreciate any of my poems copied and used without asking me). At the end of the day, all this upset is just going to contribute to the enjoyment of the site. We never had issues like that on the Shoppie. We talked things through, but rarely did the need arise. If only a’body could just play Bonny.............

Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Sandstone is a forum sponsor!
Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
6 days ago
Posted - 10 May 2019 :  02:07:57 AM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
That's just too bad and completely un-necessary.
You have been to many sites where you can't copy anything.
If someone posts a picture and make that picture "read only" then it can be viewed and not copied or posted elsewhere.
Is someone like me who posts an open picture, everyone is free to do what they want with it.

No point posting an open pic then moaning about how it is used. The matter is in the posters hands, or should be.

Sandstone party See you on "TheShoppie"
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 10 May 2019 :  09:17:56 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
It’s a sticky situation, and the worm can has been well and truly opened. Just have to wait and see if the people who complained make amends and fill the void with something worthwhile to the sit. We’ll see!!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 11 May 2019 :  2:22:54 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
A few of my photos were reproduced and I had no complaint about that - that's what you expect on FB (and welcome on The Shoppie). But I did take the hump when people claimed them, or "gracefully" accepted plaudits for posting. However, I did have to surmise at one point that the hump was being taken at my having posted photos as being copyright, that I had scanned from glossies that my folks had paid good money for, back in the 50's and 60'. Sod that for a game of soldiers and taking the piss. One of the reasons I quit RLWW. Hey, we might get an influx back on the Shoppie. You could exercise discretion at who you let in Dave!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 11 May 2019 :  5:24:49 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
The Lichties loss is the Shoppies gain - that’s my wish anyway. I think the spat has been because folks weren’t asking if they could repost, then tsk the hump when it was pointed out. So now nobody is posting photos, therefore not a lot of discussion. Peter, do you by any chance remember who had the shop later occupied by Rennie the Baker in Guthrie Port? I seem to be the only person who remembers a fruit and veg/grocery shop with one woman serving.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 12 May 2019 :  08:09:32 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wilma, I'm afraid I don't even remember Rennie's the Bakers', never mind the fruit & veg lady. I'm surprised that there was another fuit & veg in Guthrie Port. I would think that Ron Brown held the monopoly in the area.

This in no way makes you the slightest bit wrong - my memory is so fragmented these days. I reckon my brain is full, being so old. When I learn something new, it overwrites a previous memory. Unlike a computer, it doesn't ask my permission to overwrite first!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 12 May 2019 :  10:10:21 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
That’s where the photos on RLWW come in so handy. That photo has raised a question about that shop, and so far, nobody can come up with the name of the previous owner. I have sent a PM to Keptie to see if he has a yearbook from mid to late 50s which may provide the answer. I will get to the bottom of it. During a chat with a friend yesterday, she pointed out that our generation is probably the last to fully remember Arbroath in its heyday, full of factories, busy shops, a great fishing industry,lots of visitors, plenty entertainment which didn’t include alcohol, and most of all, happy healthy, oot-playing bairns. Sounds like Utopia......or Shanghai-La (rbroath)! Would be great if we could get some more folks to back this up,with a memory or two!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 19 May 2019 :  8:51:17 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
I've no idea what's now happening over "on the dark side", but in case you are suffering withdrawal symptoms Mrs Flintstone, here's an old chestnut of Guthrie Port which I haven't seen on social media for . . . . . at least six months. I came across it this morning. It's scanned from a glossie that my folks paid good money for (and I inherited) so I have no compunction on (re-)posting. My Dad's Austin A90 centre stage, probably mid 60's. Is Rennies the Bakers there, or the veg lady?

Check your inbox, probably tomorrow, for "a memory or two".
cicero
Haggis Supper

cicero

Arbroath, Scotland
93 Posts
Last here:
08 Jun 2019
Posted - 19 May 2019 :  9:49:53 PM Show Profile Visit cicero's HomepageSend cicero a Private Message Reply with Quote
I think Rennies the bakers was further down past the Barbers shop. Does anyone know who owned the barbers shop.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 20 May 2019 :  08:20:02 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Can't remember his name Sy, although I certainly had my head set many a time, in his very special home made hair-concrete. Still don't remember Rennies.

Great to see you're still Shopping.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 20 May 2019 :  3:50:57 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
The barber shop was owned by a Mr Coward. Joan Cargill took over the ladies section, through the entry
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 24 May 2019 :  09:24:40 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Just looking at that last photo of Guthrie Port - some things wouldn’t be seen today, for various reasons. Newspapers displayed outside the shop would surely be nicked. Cigarette and chocolate vending machines would likely be vandalised. No cigarette advertising allowed. Goods displayed outside on a pavement, unless supervised, would be nicked, damaged or peed’ on by passing pooches and moggies. The dog in the picture is gie close to that display, although it is on a leash. Only thing which remains the same is th line of cars, albeit smaller, than the length lines we get nowadays because folk are objecting to the parking charges in the car parks! A picture paints a thousand words, but it can evoke many memories too.
Page: of 2 Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.59 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *