Details of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTube

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 Supermarket & Retail park debate
 Supermarket Debate - Want another?  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11
-EDITOR-
Forum Administrator

-EDITOR-

-EDITOR- is a forum sponsor!
Arbroath, Scotland
2733 Posts
Last here:
24 Mar 2019
Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  7:35:58 PM Show Profile Visit -EDITOR-'s Homepage Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
A simple question. Does Arbroath need another supermarket?

Results:
Yes   [90%] 28 votes
No   [6%] 2 votes
Don''t know   [3%] 1 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 31 counted  »»   Last Vote: 14 Aug 2006 4:49:56 PM 
Planter
Master Smokie

Planter

USA
1266 Posts
Last here:
26 Dec 2015
Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  8:23:47 PM Show Profile Visit Planter's HomepageSend Planter a Private Message Reply with Quote
More competition will benefit the consumer.

Planter

for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 29 Apr 2006 :  3:45:24 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Morrisons being the only large supermarket in town have a bit of a monopoly and could do with some competition I would say.

It has to be located on the westway site because there is already too much congestion at the stobcross site, there's little room for road alteration there.

"I'm Brian and so's my wife." Monty Pythons Life of Brian.
cat
Wee Haggis

United Kingdom
31 Posts
Last here:
07 May 2007
Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  11:39:37 AM Show Profile Visit cat's HomepageSend cat a Private Message Reply with Quote
Tbh i think we need another supermarket
And i think alot of the locals want it as well,At least the ones ive spoken to.
And most want an Asda
I wish they would get their act together and sort it out
Dont they realise it costs us petrol money to go to Dundee all the time or Aberdeen.
And ppl from the other areas would bring more buisness into arbroath if they shopped there
Also most teens i know want a cinema in the town as it also costs them more money to get up to Dundee.
JAS
Haggis Supper (with extra sauce)

JAS

Arbroath, Scotland
197 Posts
Last here:
06 Apr 2009
Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  12:14:33 PM Show Profile Visit JAS's HomepageSend JAS a Private Message Reply with Quote
It is just common sense - isn't it cat??
keith
Master Smokie

United Kingdom
2714 Posts
Last here:
04 Jun 2017
Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  1:26:17 PM Show ProfileSend keith a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well said Cat ..." Cat for mayor "
GaryT
Master Smokie

GaryT

United Kingdom
1001 Posts
Last here:
10 Dec 2010
Posted - 18 Jun 2006 :  6:55:01 PM Show Profile Visit GaryT's HomepageSend GaryT a Private Message Reply with Quote
I know the favoured option of most Arbroathians seems to be an ASDA supermarket on the Westway site, but now that Tesco have been granted planning permission for Westburn, would it not be simple if something was sorted out about the traffic problem, to get a new supermarket built as soon as possible?

[xx(]
keith
Master Smokie

United Kingdom
2714 Posts
Last here:
04 Jun 2017
Posted - 18 Jun 2006 :  8:12:23 PM Show ProfileSend keith a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi David , looks like my sister was right about Tesco at Westburn / Stobcross after all .
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4397 Posts
Last here:
24 Mar 2019
Posted - 18 Jun 2006 :  8:45:59 PM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi all,
The application was approved last week. However the traffic management measures which were also applied for in a seperate application were refused.

As I understand it the main planning application also includes details of the proposed traffic measures - so there is now a strange situation where they have been approved in one application and refused in another.

The main argument for refusing the roads application was due to the proximity of a new round-about to the top of the high-road bridge; there is a prescribed "line of sight" distance requried for a run-up to a roundabout and the area available does not meet this requirement.

Having said all that if the applicaton for the store has been granted there must be some way that the access arragements can be worked out!

David Spink
TheShoppie.com Webmaster
cat
Wee Haggis

United Kingdom
31 Posts
Last here:
07 May 2007
Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  6:37:31 PM Show Profile Visit cat's HomepageSend cat a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAS

It is just common sense - isn't it cat??

Yep your right[8D]
piebob
Master Smokie

piebob

United Kingdom
1729 Posts
Last here:
06 Feb 2010
Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  1:08:27 PM Show Profile Visit piebob's HomepageSend piebob a Private Message Reply with Quote
just read the hearld see the skateboarders will have a new car park if tesco goes ahead[smile]

piebob
Alex
Wee Haggis

Arbroath, Scotland
6 Posts
Last here:
19 Oct 2006
Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  10:56:21 AM Show Profile Visit Alex's HomepageSend Alex a Private Message Reply with Quote
I just thought i would post this to take into consideration.

Peebles in the Borders in roughly the same size as Arbroath (a wee bit smaller), Recently in a Reporting Scotland segment it was praised for being a model High Street, in that it was mostly Independent stores on its High Street with not a chain Store, pound store or an empty building to be seen (although i think there is possibly a couple charity shops). It is truely like being on a 1950's High Street but with modern products on sale.

And, Until recently Peebles also had 2 major Supermarket chains. Safeway and Sommerfield (and i believe it probably has a Co-op somewhere).

However the local patrons where upset some what after the recent Safeway/Morrisons buy out. Not all Safeways were takenover and rebranded Morrisons, some where sold. The local Peebles store was sold to.....Sommerfield. Thus the town now has two Sommerfield stores, and since the original Sommerfield store is a creature of the 1970s and the former Safeway store from the late 90's the future for the older store looks bleak and soon the town will only have one supermarket.

Tescos and ASDA were actually the only stores in the running to buy Safeways when it was for sale. But in the spirit of fair trading both were prevented and the path was cleared for Morrisons. If the company does go up for sale again both Tescos and ASDA are free to bid again.

Having worked in both an ASDA and a Morrisons/Safeway, our Safeway in particular, i can tell you in no uncertain terms,If ASDA and Tesco come to town Our Morrisons will die.
I must admit when that day comes i will string up the bunting and hold a street party. But i dont think other patrons will be happy to see 2 Asdas/Tescos or an Empty shell of a building.

EDIT: oh i think the skateboarders will like that.

www.alexdewars.com
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  11:11:58 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wakefield, in Yorkshire, albeit a large town in comparison to Arbroath has the following
Town Centre - Morrisons
Town Centre Edge - Another Morrisons(larger) and a Sainsbury
Town Centre Outskirt - Asda

Good competition, so we get good "bargains"
I have noted in visiting the same brand name stores in other small areas/towns that some product prices are higher, although they are the same store. Not as many bargains or special offers..
It appears businesses take advantage. Such is life.

So. Let Arbroath get more brand name stores. p.s. I prefer Tesco but the nearest large store to me is 17 miles..

Terrymac

GaryT
Master Smokie

GaryT

United Kingdom
1001 Posts
Last here:
10 Dec 2010
Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  8:39:31 PM Show Profile Visit GaryT's HomepageSend GaryT a Private Message Reply with Quote
In yesterdays courier there was an article that saying that the Scottish Executive had overruled Angus Council regarding changing the local plan to include a supermarket at the Westway site.

I'm not exactly sure what it said, but surely the Council should have the final say in situations like this rather than some faceless buffoon in Edinburgh(I use these words lightly!) deciding what the people of Arbroath want in THEIR town.

Who are these people anyway??

GT
stan
Senior Smokie

stan

Canada
793 Posts
Last here:
02 Jun 2015
Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  3:46:22 PM Show Profile Visit stan's HomepageSend stan a Private Message Reply with Quote
Im absolutely with you Gash!! How long has this Scottish Executive power of veto been in place?...seems rediculous that a national body should be so involved in local affairs?
GaryT
Master Smokie

GaryT

United Kingdom
1001 Posts
Last here:
10 Dec 2010
Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  12:12:44 PM Show Profile Visit GaryT's HomepageSend GaryT a Private Message Reply with Quote
Maybe thats 'democracy' for you. Seems that the Executive think they are the new 'politburo'!

GT
Reekieneb
Wee Haggis

Spain
13 Posts
Last here:
20 Sep 2006
Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  2:55:38 PM Show Profile Visit Reekieneb's HomepageSend Reekieneb a Private Message Reply with Quote
I am sure that Spuggie Rodgers would have taken you to task for using an oxymoron. Executive "think" Commontae GASH! All that lot think about is how to wangle their expenses and other jollies. Please do not use the term democracy, even sarcastically, in the same paragraph that you refer to that bunch of ke..hs.
william
Wee Haggis

25 Posts
Last here:
11 Sep 2006
Posted - 07 Sep 2006 :  9:30:34 PM Show Profile Visit william's HomepageSend william a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GASH

In yesterdays courier there was an article that saying that the Scottish Executive had overruled Angus Council regarding changing the local plan to include a supermarket at the Westway site.

I'm not exactly sure what it said, but surely the Council should have the final say in situations like this rather than some faceless buffoon in Edinburgh(I use these words lightly!) deciding what the people of Arbroath want in THEIR town.

Who are these people anyway??

If you have time go on to the Angus Council web site. Look for Finalised Angus Local Plan Review go to volume 2 (towns) page 34 on,
after reading this I would conclude that from day one there has never been any chance of a supermarket at the Westway. The inquiry (to my mind) seems to suggest that Councillor King has no respect and little knowledge of planning laws, I find this strange as he is a member of the Development Control Committee. If you read the report for the roads application for Tesco see who was most vocal in his opposition. The application was recommended for approval by Planning Director. The Head of Roads also agreed approval, another Councils ( Lanark i think)
Roads Department looked at it and found it was not ideal but was acceptable. Alex K seems to know better than these experts.
Planter
Master Smokie

Planter

USA
1266 Posts
Last here:
26 Dec 2015
Posted - 07 Sep 2006 :  11:11:40 PM Show Profile Visit Planter's HomepageSend Planter a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hey william I like your posts. Tell us a little about yourself.

Planter

For, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
william
Wee Haggis

25 Posts
Last here:
11 Sep 2006
Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  9:02:11 PM Show Profile Visit william's HomepageSend william a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Planter

Planter

I am 48 have stayed in Arbroath all my life and as you have probably guessed I have dealings with the planning dept, successfull up till now so won't put my real name.

If you look at the planning history of the westway site its interesting. To start with Tesco were mooted as the operator but I think that they quickly realised that planning permission was not going to be forthcoming and looked for another site. The developer has tried all sorts of schemes to get a supermarket on this site, eg supermarket and cinema complex, supermarket and travel lodge although I very much doubt if a cinema or travel lodge would have materialized once a supermarket was built. Even the latest roumors that Halfords and Accorn pets won't be coming if there is no supermarket seems to be a form of blackmail.(my opinion) I wonder what it takes to get the councillors to back this scheme even after it was recommended for refusal by there own Planning Director (he knows all the in's and out's of the planning process)and failed two or three appeals. The developer has run an excellent publicity campaign, what lost it's credibility(for me) was a letter in the local paper supposedly from a community councillor who claimed to have read and understood the local plan. I have looked at it on the council website and after a few pages gave up.

Finally just remember that all the reasons for refusal of a supermarket at the westway which the councillors wish to sweep aside, are the same reasons which will be rigidly adhered to in your planning application for garage,conservatory,kitchen etc
GaryT
Master Smokie

GaryT

United Kingdom
1001 Posts
Last here:
10 Dec 2010
Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  9:18:44 PM Show Profile Visit GaryT's HomepageSend GaryT a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by william

quote:
Originally posted by Planter

Planter

I am 48 have stayed in Arbroath all my life and as you have probably guessed I have dealings with the planning dept, successfull up till now so won't put my real name.

Maybe your worried William(not your real name). That if you do put your real name forward then you may not be so successfull in dealings with the planning department.

GT
Page: of 11Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.97 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *