Arbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connection

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 News headlines
 First Seaside Award for Arbroath beach  
Author Topic Next Topic 
-EDITOR-
Forum Administrator

-EDITOR-

-EDITOR- is a forum sponsor!
Arbroath, Scotland
2733 Posts
Last here:
24 Mar 2019
Posted - 27 May 2010 :  12:27:08 AM Show Profile Visit -EDITOR-'s Homepage Reply with Quote
Picture: Wallace FerrierArbroath is one of 56 beaches in Scotland which have been given the "Seaside Award" by Keep Scotland Beautiful - this is the first year Arbroath has qualified. A total of 30 criteria must be met and the water quality should be of "Good" standard or above to qualify.

*This story has been updated to reflect the fact that Arbroath beach won a "Seaside Award", and not a "Blue Flag award" as we originally reported.

TheShoppie.com Team
Timeshift
Wee Smokie

Timeshift

Arbroath, Scotland
243 Posts
Last here:
14 Feb 2015
Posted - 27 May 2010 :  09:36:20 AM Show Profile Visit Timeshift's HomepageSend Timeshift a Private Message Reply with Quote
That's excellent news and hopefully will help in the promotion of the town as a tourist resort along with the Harbour,,,,,,,,,,,,Bob
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4397 Posts
Last here:
24 Mar 2019
Posted - 27 May 2010 :  10:18:41 AM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
Cool! big grin Here is the Keep Scotland Beautiful award page for Arbroath - http://coastal.keepscotlandbeautiful.org/scottish-beach.asp?beach=68

David Spink
Smokie1756
Senior Smokie

Smokie1756

Scotland
535 Posts
Last here:
31 May 2015
Posted - 27 May 2010 :  12:42:57 PM Show Profile Visit Smokie1756's HomepageSend Smokie1756 a Private Message Reply with Quote
I think there is a programme on the telly tonight about Scotlands beaches so it may be featured

Smokie1756
amy
Wee Haggis

Scotland
28 Posts
Last here:
20 Oct 2011
Posted - 27 May 2010 :  12:55:44 PM Show Profile Visit amy's HomepageSend amy a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thats great to hear, you always hear about other beaches achieving it but fantastic for Arbroath beach to achieve it

La femmina delle specie č pių letale del maschio
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 28 May 2010 :  12:43:16 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Since the waste water facility was built at hatton the water is probably cleaner now than it's been in 70 plus years!
Vee-4
Haggis Supper

Vee-4

69 Posts
Last here:
11 Aug 2012
Posted - 28 May 2010 :  10:10:07 AM Show Profile Visit Vee-4's HomepageSend Vee-4 a Private Message Reply with Quote
The water was crystal clear at the weekend when I was kayaking/snorkelling a couple of hundred yards out from the harbour entrance. Real Jacques Cousteau stuffbig grin
Philip Petrie
Senior Smokie

Philip Petrie

United Kingdom
406 Posts
Last here:
21 Apr 2014
Posted - 28 May 2010 :  7:11:43 PM Show Profile Visit Philip Petrie's HomepageSend Philip Petrie a Private Message Reply with Quote
First Blue Flag award for Arbroath beach smilesmile
I think this is absolutely wonderfull news for Arbroath , but what Im going to say next I'll probably get slated for . With all the news about the West Links needing upgraded I think we will all agree on that , lovely as it is ,it now falls a wee bit short of Montrose , Carnoustie and Monifieth , and there are a lot of other little odds and ends here and there in our town that could be doing with a good freshen up , now this is where I'll probably land in a wee bit of bother . I do not see any reason at all why we cannot use the physically fit unemployed to do a lot of the work that is needed ,after all Arbroath people did it in the days of the depression , IE the Vicky Park , the outdoor bathing pool, I do not see any reason at all why we cant do it now . I know there are health and safety issues , there are also insurance issues , but all of these can be over-come , Remember YTS and YOP Schemes , I know a lot of that was working for pittence schemes but just now with the economic climate the way it is, I just feel this is the way to go if we are to brighten up our town , appologies if I have offended anyone it's just the way Im feeling about our town at the moment
ScottishRose
Wee Smokie

ScottishRose

Scotland
291 Posts
Last here:
30 Sep 2015
Posted - 28 May 2010 :  7:59:04 PM Show Profile Visit ScottishRose's HomepageSend ScottishRose a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hate to put a dampner on everyones excitement... But it's not actually got Blue Flag status. It has been awarded the Seaside Award though, which is still fabulous news!! big grin I saw the flag up today, it looks cool!

Laura xx
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4397 Posts
Last here:
24 Mar 2019
Posted - 28 May 2010 :  10:10:51 PM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yeah I was confused about that too - the BBC reported it as having a Blue Flag - but the link to the Keep Scotland Beautiful website shows a yellow flag on the map - not a blue one. Still good I guess tongue

David Spink
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4397 Posts
Last here:
24 Mar 2019
Posted - 28 May 2010 :  10:24:23 PM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
At blueflag.org the list of Scottish beaches with a Blue Flag are:

Scotland Fife Aberdour Silver Sands
Scotland Dundee Broughty Ferry Beach
Scotland Fife Burntisland
Scotland Fife Elie Woodhaven (Ruby Bay)
Scotland Angus Montrose
Scotland Fife St Andrews West Sands

Oh well!! Well done Montrose!

David Spink
woodentop
Senior Smokie

woodentop

404 Posts
Last here:
03 May 2018
Posted - 29 May 2010 :  03:19:58 AM Show ProfileSend woodentop a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David

At blueflag.org the list of Scottish beaches with a Blue Flag are:

Scotland Fife Aberdour Silver Sands
Scotland Dundee Broughty Ferry Beach
Scotland Fife Burntisland
Scotland Fife Elie Woodhaven (Ruby Bay)
Scotland Angus Montrose
Scotland Fife St Andrews West Sands

Oh well!! Well done Montrose!

It's like they've tiptoed around Arbroath. The unrepresentative swine! winking
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 04 Jun 2011 :  01:29:33 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Once again Arbroath has been awarded this status, along with Lunan bay, montrose, monifieth and carnoustie big grin

News article
wee tam
Wee Haggis

Scotland
12 Posts
Last here:
10 Aug 2012
Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  5:06:28 PM Show Profile Visit wee tam's HomepageSend wee tam a Private Message Reply with Quote
Really loved playing on the beach, opposite the red lion, great memories after 40 odd yrs
a great achievement... WELL DESERVED.
WEE TAM.
nerd

TAM1
Kara
Wee Haggis

Kara

United Kingdom
1 Posts
Last here:
01 Sep 2018
Posted - 01 Sep 2018 :  10:05:58 AM Show ProfileSend Kara a Private Message Reply with Quote
Man I really enjoy playing on beach with friends when I am alone no fun with friends fun every where
  Topic Next Topic 
 Forum Locked Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.52 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *