Arbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connection

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Off Topic banter
 MODERN EATING  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 28 May 2015 :  07:42:53 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
I'm wondering what cafes served before somebody stumbled on the recipe for carrot and coriander soup?? It seems that no menu is complete without it being on it?? I take my little granddaughter to a certain large soupermarket (bad spelling intended) every Wednesday and we have lunch in the cafe. Every single week the soup on offer is carrot and coriander. I jokingly asked the girl serving yesterday if they had any other recipes for soup, as we were getting a bit fed up with that, and she agreed a change wd be nice. I guess cost and ease of preparing is the major factor here, but a nice plate of tattie and leek or broth wd be nice. Designer soups are okay for some, but my granny would be hauling up,her ladle in horror at some of them!!!!
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Sandstone is a forum sponsor!
Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
20 Jun 2019
Posted - 29 May 2015 :  02:25:02 AM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
You are right Wilma, I have not seen any barley in soup for years!
Broth, oxtail and pea soup were some of the other old faithfuls.

Dave

Sandstone party See you on "TheShoppie"
BruceF
Wee Haggis

United Kingdom
7 Posts
Last here:
26 Jul 2015
Posted - 29 May 2015 :  07:50:19 AM Show ProfileSend BruceF a Private Message Reply with Quote
I remember my mother used to make 'second day soup' which as the name implies saw us over dinner for two days. It did seem to taste better the second day. Though if served up in cafes it might be a bit risky; could be third or fourth day soup.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 29 May 2015 :  7:03:10 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
After posting that piece about the carrot and coriander soup, I suddenly remembered that my dad once took the mickey out of my mums soup making, during the hard up days.......my mum was a very good cook, but on occasion, had to improvise with the ingredients. My dad, who used to write verses too ( guess who I take after), scribbled down the following verse, much to my mums embarrassment. She always commented with that well known Arbroath phrase.......oh by!! I'm not quite sure of the last couple of lines, but I think it went like this:

This recipe I give with ease
A blash o' water, twa or three peas
A poke o' stuff that they ca' Swell
Just cowp it in and steer it well
And if some beef ye can't afford
Throw in some marg and thank the Lord
If you, like Meg, can fairly cook
Then try her recipe for soup.

There may have been a few more lines, but I can't say for sure. I was only a wee lassie at the time, and canna mind eating soup made wi marg.....yuck!

Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 29 May 2015 :  11:33:00 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Just had three weeks on Mallorca... The hotel had soup available every day... Quite surprised at how good it was as the Spanish are not soup makers... On several occasions we had some great vegetable soups with "a'thing cowped in" that seemed to be at hand... a type of rice instead of lentils... All that way to get a "homemade" soup.

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Pensioner busybody
Wee Smokie

United Kingdom
204 Posts
Last here:
21 Jul 2018
Posted - 30 May 2015 :  11:51:06 AM Show ProfileSend Pensioner busybody a Private Message Reply with Quote
Where I used to work, the canteen, had three different soups available every day, which you could ladle into a cup to take away. As you said Flintstone, there were some odd ones, with carrot & coriander, tomato & basil among the offerings. However, on the days when there was scotch broth, it was a case of get there early, push In, with elbows flying to get at it before it was all gone. It was easily the most popular of the soups, and this was in London, with lots of people of different nationalities working there. So it just goes to show, the old ones sometimes really are the best. I must admit though, the nearest I get to it at home is a tin of Campbell's.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 22 Jun 2018 :  09:01:21 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
3 years down the line and the “soup du jour” still seems to be carrot and coriander. Quick and relatively cheap to make, but retailing at anything from £3 to £4 a plateful in some establishments. Last week, my hubby and I were in Banchory and went into a wee cafe where their soup of the day was Stilton, courgette and potato. £3.95 a plate, served with seeded bread or oatcakes. We were brave and tried it, as did our 2nyear old granddaughter Sadie, and it was absolutely delicious. Thinking back to my childhood days, where my granny was “queen of the kailpot”, £3.95 would have made enough soup to feed the street for a week. My granny I know for a fact would never have heard of Stilton, and would likely have mistaken a courgette for a cucumber. Her standard offerings were kail - rich broth full of barley and veg, made with boiling beef or bones - and tattie soup, made with a lamb shank, and thick enough to stand the spoon in. And she never ever used stock cubes, just “ sat and spice” as she called them! Sometimes a mealie dumpling was cooked and served with the kail. Yum. My mum made good lentil soup, and yellow split pea, but granny’s soup was soupreme.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 16 Jul 2018 :  09:34:26 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
I’m awa’ tae try and use up the heap o’ tomatoes Norman just brought in, and mak’ tomato soup. I’ll report back the morn with a report!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 16 Jul 2018 :  09:35:32 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Report back with a report??? What a daft remark to make this early in the morning!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 16 Jul 2018 :  5:04:34 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
My soup was delicious! Onion, smoked bacon, loadsa tomatoes, little bit of water once tomatoes have cooked down, stock cube, pepper to taste, and some parsley added at the end of cooking. Give it a try.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
377 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 17 Jul 2018 :  08:33:35 AM Show ProfileSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
In this weather Wilma, you want to turn your tomatoes into Gazpacho - ice cubes an' a'.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 19 Jul 2018 :  11:59:21 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Never thought of that, Pete! I’m a creature of habit. Next lot maybe I’ll give it a go.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  10:37:38 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Am I a pig to say I still love a tin of Cream of Mushroom soup??... However, most of us "auld eens" remember the big soup pot that lasted two or three days.. and the "additions" to the pot after the first lot had been served up.. tearing up bread and dropping it in when Mum wisnae looking..

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  3:57:04 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Terry, I would call it normal to hanker after comfort food now and then! My hubby loves a tin of Baxter’s Royal Game soup now and then, as a few years ago, he suffered a bad case of gippy tum (and all that it entails!), and the only thing he could eat, without boaking, was Royal Game Soup. Me, I quite like Chicken Noodle from a packet, but only now and then, as it’s scuttery tae mak’
Miranda
Wee Haggis

3 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 01 Jun 2019 :  11:22:16 AM Show ProfileSend Miranda a Private Message Reply with Quote
I think when it comes to food, it is gradually becoming a different thing compared to the good old days.

Impossible is nothing
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1699 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 29 Jun 2019 :  09:27:03 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Too much processed food these days. I know folks living on their own must find it hard to cook for one, but there is nothing like meals cooked from scratch. Worth the wee bit of extra preparation.
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.75 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *