All about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractions

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 Website Announcements
 29th August, 2017  
Author Topic Next Topic 
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Sandstone is a forum sponsor!
Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 29 Aug 2017 :  8:08:41 PM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hello everyone.
I got the notice today for the Renewal of TheShoppie.com domain on the internet. There was 34 pounds in the kitty and the renewal is 32 pounds. Guess what, I renewed. I figure we will decide what's best for all members past and present, but the only thing I don't want is to lose this wonderful collection of memorabilia. Anyway, here we go for another year, and we will see what the activity level is.

Dave

Sandstone party See you on "TheShoppie"
Nanuk
Wee Haggis

Nanuk

Arbroath, Scotland
45 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 30 Aug 2017 :  6:03:25 PM Show Profile Visit Nanuk's HomepageSend Nanuk a Private Message Reply with Quote
So glad you did that Dave, it would be a tragedy to lose what you so correctly describe as a wonderful collection of memorabilia. Thank you.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1692 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 01 Sep 2017 :  9:22:56 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well done Dave. How can we breathe a bit of life back into our old friend, the Shoppie??
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
375 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 14 Sep 2017 :  9:42:28 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
A good decision Dave, but are you going to throw us a party with the balance of the kitty?? I have sent a PM. PeteP
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 04 Oct 2017 :  08:13:12 AM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Here is a post from our Friend Pete. I appreciate the sentiment and the fact that he has some very valid points. Perhaps a "joint venture" my be just the ticket. Pete's post is as follows:

As a self-elected member of The Shoppie Preservation Society, I’ve been racking my last brain cell since Dave (Sandstone’s) post about renewal, trying to come up with some miracle rejuvenation formula. But I guess that on our own, this can only come from catchy (and unique) topics that excite the imagination of first the existing Shoppers to contribute, and perhaps more importantly, the imagination of the Red Lichties peeping in over the wall (who we might want to tempt to join or to renew their acquaintance). Got to admit that such topics have been woefully infrequent of late

As it stands, Red Lichties is approaching 7000 members against what’s likely to be a rather small number who still look in on The Shoppie these days (any stats available?), and an exceedingly small number who now contribute once in a blue moon. The level of activity on each probably speaks for itself about their relative popularity, but it would be a disaster to let The Shoppie die, and lose what Dave describes as “a wonderful collection of memorabilia” that had accumulated in pre-Facebook days. So, he took steps to ensure that it remains in place for at least another year.

But all commentators on Arbroath life then and now, are perhaps these days missing out on the benefits offered by The Shoppie. It is far better suited to longer tales, memories and anecdotes by gabby aggies (like me), Wilma (Flintstone’s) poetry and feats of superhuman memory, historical research items like Pat (Keptie’s) contributions, and some of the more serious conversations/debates that we’ve had in the past. The point being that these are topics which are most often not able to be supported by these photos needed to catch the eye, for those people who scroll so fast on their tablets and phones. Facebook only shows the first couple of sentences of any such items, plus the last couple of comments (and NO comments whatever on a mobile). Even then, the latest comments can often disappear from immediate view in literally seconds, unless you take positive action to have them displayed. It’s very clear that some people are far too busy to click on “More.” on an original posting, or take the trouble to read previous comments*.

But the main area in which The Shoppie outstrips Facebook is its ability to retrieve posts by having an indexing system. Not great, as it has “just growed”, rather than been carefully structured. However, it is capable of providing a valuable entry point to many of the topics relevant to Arbroath. (Is it me, but) I have found the search facility in FB inexplicably unreliable – even with the benefit of a very distinct keyword. Near impossible, if you don’t have the right keyword, with the lack of ability to browse. This seems particularly relevant to the many historical photographs and the valuable text that goes with them, posted by the likes of Bryan Forsyth, Brian Cargill and Dave Hodson Snr (and many more besides). It’s very hard to locate the photo of “that butchers at the bottom of the High Street”, when that’s all you can remember. Perhaps we can persuade these gentlemen (and ladies) to replicate their FB posts on The Shoppie (a quick copy and paste). Better still, to take advantage of the more text based format, to actually expand on them. One subtle difference we can offer users, is that postings on The Shoppie can be viewed by anyone across the world - FB is members only. So, for those seeking to make information or images generally available (the ethos of the internet), The Shoppie is your place of choice.

Conversely, The Shoppie can’t really compete with these quick-fire items like the current “Name a Song with a Question in it” or “Your Mother’s Divi Number”. These are great fun, but probably no longer have no place on The Shoppie, likewise the daily photos, as I’m sure there is no intention to lay them down for posterity.

One thing we can maybe learn from the opposition is the propensity for repeating material – even on a daily basis. Not for everyone, but this clearly goes down very well right across the world. Also, for example, some old photographs seem to be regurgitated on about a quarterly or six-monthly basis, bringing a whole new batch of (or the same) comments each time. FB Admin also deliberately “bump” topics back into current view – e.g. the Divi number. Perhaps we Shoppers should for starters, trawl back over some of the past posts we have enjoyed (or are pleased to have contributed) with a view to “bumping” them back into life to a renewed audience.

Coupled with these, we must be grateful to Kirsten A Cruikshank for having recently found The Shoppie and highlighted it to the Red Lichties membership. Perhaps some form of agreement to publicise the complementary nature of The Shoppie on a regular basis might be negotiated.

I put this up in the hope of getting some discussion going on how to revitalise The Shoppie, and seek suggestions from others cleverer than I.

Pete the (Blast in Aude).

Thanks again Pete.

Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 04 Oct 2017 :  08:38:11 AM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
I was home in Arbroath for a family visit and spent the best part of a day wandering the town. I went for a haircut and the barber was Romanian. Several families out shopping were clearly Polish and carrying on their business in that language. Fish and chips at the Bellrock were excellent, cooked by an East Asian and served by another Eastern European lass. Our waitress at the Brewhouse was another whose English was clearly a second language. I think the only shop on the High Street that I was familiar with was Brown's pet shop. In Asda, the chap that helped me was Russian. A similar experience when I went to the cell phone shop for a charger.

My point is that the times are a changing and these folks who now breath life into our town are probably not that interested in "Our Shoppie" and it's contents. My familiar demographic has been turned on it's head and that's the way I see it.

I appreciate Pete's post above and will continue to rack my brains to try to make our little corner of the web more relevant to the existing and everchanging group we refer to as "Red Lichties"

Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
11 May 2019
Posted - 18 Dec 2017 :  1:16:46 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well I am one of the red lichties that deserted.. Not been on for some time.. I was an avid follower.. If TheShoppie is to continue I really need to send Sandstone a contribution in the New Year.. So at least there is a wee bit of cash in the "tin" if it is decided to keep going..

I have been using red lichties worldwide for my posts lately.. Feel quite a traitor now. ha ha ha .

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4397 Posts
Last here:
24 Mar 2019
Posted - 07 Jan 2018 :  01:23:16 AM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
The thing with Facebook is that it's very easy - easy to contribute, and easy to view and easy to know you've had responses to something you've commented on. It's especially good with images. TheShoppie doesn't make it easy to add images at all sadly and the notification options aren't great. The coding behind the scenes is also very, very, out of date - it's an old system with no particularly easy upgrade path.

Long term it's probably not sustainable in the present form - eventually technology will advance and it will become increasingly difficult to keep online.

However TheShoppie is definitely better at archiving and organising posts and comments for posterity - things posted to Red Lichties very quickly move down the list and off the bottom of the page never to be seen again!

Long Live The Shoppie I say.. just not quite sure how!

David Spink
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1692 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 05 Feb 2018 :  10:04:00 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
This is my first visit for a wee while, as I admit to defecting to Red Lichties. However, I notice that several folk still refer to the Shoppue for facts, photos, comments and confirmation of facts. I myself have referred folks to The Shoppie at various times, remembering all the great topics and conversations that we once had. I still like "to shop" at our wee shoppie now and then, so hope it stays open for a while!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
375 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 08 Feb 2018 :  08:50:34 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
There were some right doozies of interesting historical stuff posted on Red Lichties towards the end of the year. Being old, of course I’ve forgotten what these were, and (emphasising David’s point) there’s no way of finding them, to use them as illustrations.

I was dead keen back in October (see above) and did plan to suggest to the contributors that they replicate these on The Shoppie (and perhaps try to help). But an extended time with Lichties, and you soon lose the will to live. Last year someone asked “What year was . . . . . . blah blah blah?“. Why had the 49th person to respond “1965” or whatever, not noticed that 48 people had answered already? Arghh!! And so many photos are posted with a full cast list. Why then do so many people have to then name (sometimes wrongly) the individuals? Great to fill in the blanks or correct where necessary, but otherwise . . . ? None of these clearly bother to read previous comments or click on “More…” Sigh! And why do so many “notifications” turn out to nothing more informative than “nice photo” and the like. And there have even been abusive posts, decrying the posting of historical material. I get really annoyed at myself at times for continuing with my daily fix of FB – AND even giving in to the temptation to put my oar in!! Anyway, a contribution to Sandstone's tinnie as you say TerryMac, is probably more practical support.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1692 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 09 Feb 2018 :  10:51:48 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Pete, I feel the same about FB - you put in a comment, correct answer, missing name, etc, then 20 posts later, somebody else puts in the same name or answer, and THEY get the plaudits! I have sometimes in exasperation said " this was mentioned earlier in the thread". Or, perhaps there is a reasonable thread going, then somebody jumps in with something irrelevant, and from there, everything's veers off the subject. Also, somebody had the audacity to say that there were too many photos of the harbour on the site ( I Agree there are), but they were shot down in flames and told to "keep scrolling" if they weren't happy!! Why is it, then, that we are hooked? I so,loved the Shoppie days when we used words instead of pictures.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
375 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  5:36:46 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
I have noticed your aggro at times Wilma. Got my goat (quite unreasonably really, as I consider it is free for anyone to use once posted) when someone acknowledged a whole load of praise for (re-)posting my "Peh", having lifted it from The Shoppie. Pictures are so difficult - there is nothing better than a great photo, or an unusual viewpoint, but at the same time, unless a dirty great lump has fallen off the Signal Tower (or they've added another storey), what's the point of another photo?? Wouldn't be so bad if the "nice photos" posts didn't clog up the notifications. I hope you are not turning into an angry old man, like me!
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
01 May 2019
Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  6:04:48 PM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
Just popped in to the Shoppie to see if there were any customers I too miss the auld Shoppie days but I'm at a loss to suggest how to get it going like it was in the past. One problem I did have in the past was the inability to post photographs. I admit I'm not great with that stuff but with FB I can even post a photo of a photo and if I can do that then it must be easy! Here's hoping that we can find an answer before long.
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Canada
1025 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 02 Aug 2018 :  03:42:23 AM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Right!
Blind faith.
I renewed the Domain for another two years!

Dave

flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1692 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 02 Aug 2018 :  08:34:06 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Dave, thank you.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
375 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 03 Aug 2018 :  07:08:31 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Well done Dave, securing our future. Nothing like a bit of Blind Faith (they were a good group!). Noting Val's post above and Wilma's recent problem, is there any way of increasing the acceptable size of pictures, or even adding an auto-compression. I'm guessing not, unfortunately

exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
640 Posts
Last here:
01 May 2019
Posted - 04 Aug 2018 :  05:37:23 AM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
great to know that you've kept us going for a while, Dave, I'll see if I have some 'mad money tomorrow
  Topic Next Topic 
 Forum Locked Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.53 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *