Details of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTube

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Fun & Games
 Once Upon A Time  
Author Topic Next Topic 
keith
Master Smokie

United Kingdom
2714 Posts
Last here:
04 Jun 2017
Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  07:42:54 AM Show ProfileSend keith a Private Message Reply with Quote
I copied this from a friend but it's so true .[smile]

Just for a minute, forget everything stressful and read this...............

Close your eyes and go back in time...

Before the Internet...

Before semi-automatics, joyriders and crack....

Before SEGA or Super Nintendo...

Way back........

I'm talking about Hide and Seek in the park.
The corner shop.
Hopscotch.
Butterscotch.
Skipping.
Handstands.
Football with an old can.
Fingerbob.

Beano, Dandy, Buster, Twinkle and Dennis the Menace, Roly Poly. Hula Hoops, jumping the stream, building dams. The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass. Bazooka Joe bubble gum.

An ice cream cone on a warm summer night from the van that plays a tune. Chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe Neapolitan or perhaps screwball.

Wait......

Watching Saturday morning cartoons, short commercials or the flicks.
Children's Film Foundation, The Double Deckers, Red Hand Gang,
Tomorrow People, Tiswas or Swapshop?, and 'Why Don't You'? - or staying up for Doctor Who.

When around the corner seemed far away and going into town seemed like going somewhere.

Earwigs, wasps, stinging nettles and bee stings.
Sticky fingers.
Playing Marbles. Ball bearings. Big 'uns and Little 'uns. Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and Zorro. Climbing trees. Making igloos out of snow banks.

Walking to school, no matter what the weather.
Running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Spinning around on roundabouts, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles. Being tired from playing....remember that?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. Water balloons were the ultimate weapon. Football cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle. Choppers and Grifters.

Eating raw jelly. Orange squash ice pops. Vimto and Jubbly lollies

Remember when...

There were two types of trainers - girls and boys, and Dunlop Green Flash The only time you wore them at School was for P.E. And they were called gym shoes or if you are older - plimsoles

You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents. It wasn't odd to have two or three 'best' friends.

You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas Eve.

When nobody owned a pure-bred dog.

When 25p was decent pocket money
Curly Whirlys. Space Dust. Toffo's.
Top Trumps.
When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.
When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.

When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving pupil at home. Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc.

Remember when....
Decisions were made by going "Ip, Dip, Dog ****"

Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.

Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in Monopoly

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was germs. And the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one.

It was unbelievable that 'British Bulldog 123' wasn't an Olympic event. Having a weapon in school, meant being caught with a catapult.

Nobody was prettier than Mum.
Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.

Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin.
Ice cream was considered a basic food group.
Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.

Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED.

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their grown life...

I DOUBLE-DARE YOU
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4396 Posts
Last here:
07 Jan 2018
Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  3:31:55 PM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
That's really great Keith! [big grin][big grin]

David Spink
stu
Wee Haggis

stu

Scotland
43 Posts
Last here:
26 Oct 2009
Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  6:06:10 PM Show Profile Visit stu's HomepageSend stu a Private Message Reply with Quote
thanks for the memories keith.

ian stewart
philip
Senior Smokie

philip

Arbroath, Scotland
613 Posts
Last here:
12 Oct 2012
Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  6:24:23 PM Show Profile Visit philip's HomepageSend philip a Private Message Reply with Quote
Priceless.

If you're talking behind my back, you're in a good position to kiss my ass!
boristhespie
Master Smokie

boristhespie

Arbroath, Scotland
1045 Posts
Last here:
06 Nov 2015
Posted - 23 Apr 2007 :  2:43:20 PM Show Profile Visit boristhespie's HomepageSend boristhespie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Kick the Can and release. ****e alight, Chickenelly and ropes on the door handles. Bandies at the burn and sherbit dip from Winton and the Pelican after the pictures. All great times and NOT ONE bored whining kids.

Booooooo!
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2433 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 23 Apr 2007 :  8:02:58 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
The were great times..... Unfortunately I remember parents always complaining about the kids saying, especially during school holidays, the plaintive cry of "I'M BORED, THERE'S NOTHING TO DAE"
Parents I assumme said "GER OOT BRFORE A' SKELP YER LUG"

But better days they were!!!
terrymac
keith
Master Smokie

United Kingdom
2714 Posts
Last here:
04 Jun 2017
Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  06:22:47 AM Show ProfileSend keith a Private Message Reply with Quote
My mum could'nt keep me in ! i shimmy'd down the drain pipe of our flat in Airlie Cres and along the dammie wall , spiderman had nothing on us kids !
boristhespie
Master Smokie

boristhespie

Arbroath, Scotland
1045 Posts
Last here:
06 Nov 2015
Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  09:52:12 AM Show Profile Visit boristhespie's HomepageSend boristhespie a Private Message Reply with Quote
"I'M BORED, THERE'S NOTHING TO DAE"
Parents I assumme said "GER OOT BRFORE A' SKELP YER LUG"

Yeah now parents feel they have to take the kids everywhere, buy them what they want and generally pander to the little brats who can't take "no" as an answer. (woooooo easy to see I don't have kids).

Booooooo!
doncar
Wee Haggis

Scotland
3 Posts
Last here:
07 Dec 2013
Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  9:29:23 PM Show Profile Visit doncar's HomepageSend doncar a Private Message Reply with Quote
Think we were happier then tae,well most o the time,what you didnae have ye didnae miss,
Planter
Master Smokie

Planter

USA
1266 Posts
Last here:
26 Dec 2015
Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  10:36:01 PM Show Profile Visit Planter's HomepageSend Planter a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boristhespie

Yeah now parents feel they have to take the kids everywhere, buy them what they want and generally pander to the little brats who can't take "no" as an answer.

...then go to a riot...

Planter

For, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2433 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 12 Oct 2014 :  6:28:53 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
1954... One with sandshoes, No socks!!.. One with "good" shoes and socks.. One with "wellies" as they would be too "sma'" next winter.. And the wee sister/cousin in the background that Mum said you had to "play with and look after".. Or Else!! (or the local tom-boy)

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1631 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 13 Oct 2014 :  3:15:19 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
The wee lads' breeks were short, and Nae doobt held up wi' gall uses or a snake belt fae Woolies. One is holding a toy gun, probably thinking he was the Lone Ranger, the Cisco Kid or some other western hero who cleaned up the west on our telly screens back in the 50's. We used our imagination at play in those days. We improvised and didn't need expensive toys or gadgets. All you generally needed was a ball, a skipping rope, a bandy net, a bit chalk, an empty shoe polish tin or similar (for blockies) a good pair of legs and lungs, and plenty pals to play with. We never had it so good( although we didn't know it at the time!)
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
220 Posts
Last here:
04 Aug 2018
Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  10:19:04 AM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Brilliant Keith. I can safely confirm, I have lived!
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
220 Posts
Last here:
04 Aug 2018
Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  10:22:35 AM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wilma, you forgot to mention the porridge bowl haircut, Great photo.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1631 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  10:19:35 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Gary, I never had a pudding bowl haircut, I got the ribbon aff the chocolate box for my poker straight locks. Many attempts were made by my mum/various hairdressers/older cousins to transform my hair into some kind of suitable style with the use of home perm kits, pipe cleaners, and good back combing, all to no avail. I also had a coo's lick which was prominent in most of my school photies. My brothers used to get crew cuts probably because we only had the one pudding bowl, and they had different shaped heids! Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
Marcol
Senior Smokie

503 Posts
Last here:
16 Jun 2018
Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  4:30:04 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
I also had hair ribbons from the chocolate box, I got a brown paper bag of them from my mum cousin, thought I was in 7th Heaven.
woodentop
Senior Smokie

woodentop

404 Posts
Last here:
03 May 2018
Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  11:12:29 PM Show ProfileSend woodentop a Private Message Reply with Quote
Nearly time for those toffee onions people!
woodentop
Senior Smokie

woodentop

404 Posts
Last here:
03 May 2018
Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  9:11:44 PM Show ProfileSend woodentop a Private Message Reply with Quote
How about chocolate sprouts?

flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1631 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 11 Nov 2016 :  10:18:29 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Woodentop strikes again!!
MarcoSel
Wee Haggis

MarcoSel

USA
1 Posts
Last here:
10 Nov 2017
Posted - 10 Nov 2017 :  5:12:23 PM Show ProfileSend MarcoSel a Private Message Reply with Quote
That was a delightful read, Keith. Brings back memories. Thanks for sharing.
DavidGill
Wee Haggis

DavidGill

Arbroath, Scotland
1 Posts
Last here:
10 Sep 2018
Posted - 10 Sep 2018 :  10:00:24 AM Show ProfileSend DavidGill a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keith
Watching Saturday morning cartoons, short commercials or the flicks.
Children's Film Foundation, The Double Deckers, Red Hand Gang,
Tomorrow People, Tiswas or Swapshop?, and 'Why Don't You'? - or staying up for Doctor Who.

When around the corner seemed far away and going into town seemed like going somewhere.

Walking to school, no matter what the weather.
Running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Spinning around on roundabouts, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles. Being tired from playing....remember that?

Eating raw jelly. Orange squash ice pops. Vimto and Jubbly lollies

You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents. It wasn't odd to have two or three 'best' friends.

You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas Eve.

When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving pupil at home. Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc.

Decisions were made by going "Ip, Dip, Dog ****"

Nobody was prettier than Mum.

Some of the lines that made me emotional. And yes, I can confirm that I have LIVED.
  Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.52 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *