All about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractions
†† ††
Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Archive
 Arbroath Abbey Heritage Campaign
 Abbey World Heritage campaign scuppered?  
Author Topic Next Topic 
David
Master Smokie

David

Arbroath, Scotland
4397 Posts
Last here:
24 Mar 2019
Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  9:29:12 PM Show ProfileSend David a Private Message Reply with Quote
I see that the UK Government is preparing to stop putting forward nominations to the World Heritage site list. I guess this leaves our Arbroath Abbey campaign dead in the water?

David Spink
Timeshift
Wee Smokie

Timeshift

Arbroath, Scotland
243 Posts
Last here:
14 Feb 2015
Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  09:21:10 AM Show Profile Visit Timeshift's HomepageSend Timeshift a Private Message Reply with Quote
While the possible loss of Heritage status could be percieved by many to be yet another blow for the town, I think it important to focus on what we have and improve on that, the Abbey is unchanging and will remain so, contributing to the town as it always has, Quote from Article "I would hope that Arbroath Abbey, and our other national monuments, would see a significant increase in visitors next year" If this were to be the case then I would recomend that we try to improve on the appearance of our High Street, i.e Vacant shops, the run down state of some of the frontages, namely, Nickle and Dime, The Abbeygate Canopy,
William Hill (next to Woolies) and of course Woolworths itself, personal thought, relocate the Hydro,Wimpy,Holland and Barratt and Charity shop to some of the vacant properties, and flatten what I've always thought was an eysore, the building they are now in, and turn that into a Greenland,Sorry If I seem to have gone off topic,I just don't see Heritage Status as being all important, just a nice to have..

"Iím going off to find myself. If Iím not back by the time I return, keep me here."
  Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.3 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *