A select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture gallery
†† ††
Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 History & Information
 Arbroath History, People and Places
 what is the clump of trees at Dickmontlaw farm ?  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
859 Posts
Last here:
08 Sep 2017
Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  9:01:42 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
What is the Clump of trees nearto DICKMONTLAW FARM near Marywell called ?

I've always called it the "Clump" but has it got an official name on the OS ref . Why was it a clump of trees planted there or is there any historical reason for a clump to be planted there?

The "clump" of trees can be seen from miles around and must have been a good marker for WW1 and WW2 planes flying in this area and landing at RAF Montrose or at RNAS Condor etc

keptie
exBraemar
Senior Smokie

exBraemar

USA
636 Posts
Last here:
20 Jun 2017
Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  12:00:37 AM Show Profile Visit exBraemar's HomepageSend exBraemar a Private Message Reply with Quote
Would that be the Law Hill? I'm not sure where Dickmontlaw is but I always believed the Law Hill was so called because hangings took place there way back when.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2410 Posts
Last here:
12 Feb 2017
Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  12:31:20 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
I drove past it last week on my way to Auchmithie... It looks a bit sparse these days... I also knew it as the "Law Hill" like Braemar... not to be confused with the Dundee one..
As a young 'un we were told that "executed" criminals were put on gibbets to rot in days gone past... I personally think that this was just a tall tale as well as the "hanging" of criminals.. Hangings were generally done in public with great crowds way back in the past... with gibbets being adjacent to roads outside town..
So no help here except to confirm it was known as "Law Hill" locally!!

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Timeshift
Wee Smokie

Timeshift

Arbroath, Scotland
243 Posts
Last here:
14 Feb 2015
Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  08:13:37 AM Show Profile Visit Timeshift's HomepageSend Timeshift a Private Message Reply with Quote
As far as I can make out, on an OS map it goes by Dickmontlaw Cairn, possibly that would be where the farm derived it's name from ? As for the hanging of criminals, I am led to believe that they were transported to Montrose for execution,........................Bob

"Iím going off to find myself. If Iím not back by the time I return, keep me here."
hoggster
Wee Smokie

hoggster

Arbroath, Scotland
390 Posts
Last here:
17 Jun 2015
Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  08:13:45 AM Show Profile Visit hoggster's HomepageSend hoggster a Private Message Reply with Quote
the hill at the dickmontlaw is an old burial mound according to a history book i got from the library it said it goes back to the pict

s hogg
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  5:00:33 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
I recall visiting the McManus musuem in Dundee some years ago and they has a displpay all about the ancient burials remains that were discovered there. The hill has a commanding view all around the area, as Keptie ays it is used as a navigational guide by seafarers.

The story goes a less than well educated person used a digger to "look for treasure" in the mound and destriyed what was left of any archeological evidence.

from the gazzeteer "Dichmont, a hill-summit in St Vigeans parish, Forfarshire, 1 mile NE of St Vigeans village. It rises to an altitude of 323 feet above sea-level, and is crowned with a large hollow cairn or mound, anciently used as a seat of justice, and now clothed with greensward."

Gazetteer for Scotland

Derek.
Tammyboy
Wee Haggis

Tammyboy

Arbroath, Scotland
1 Posts
Last here:
22 Mar 2011
Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  10:33:50 AM Show Profile Visit Tammyboy's HomepageSend Tammyboy a Private Message Reply with Quote
I have always known these trees as the Law Hill,i used to go there ferreting when we were younger and used to climb among the trees and the cairn obviously not knowing what they were,i was told about the hangings the other day that may have occurred there,who knows it may be true,its something we may or may not ever verify but it will always be a significant landmark no matter what direction you approach Arbroath from.

Tammyboy
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
859 Posts
Last here:
08 Sep 2017
Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  4:46:00 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
About two weeks ago I emailed Gordon Cook of the Arbroath Herald reporters office about this query of mine and there was a short query in the Auld Brothock section of the papers for Friday 18 March 2011 ...........

seems there have been folks phoning the office with info per today's Arbroath Herald (25 March

keptie
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
859 Posts
Last here:
08 Sep 2017
Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  7:42:44 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Arbroath Herald Friday 25 march 2011 "Auld Brothock "

Will Lyall, has several paras reply about this and other of my queries and on this query Will says that the CLUMP of trees at Dickmontlaw , which he always knew as a child as " DICKIE'S KNAP " .

Today I phoned my good friend Will Lyall and he also mentioned some call it LAW HILL but I recall my Dad calling it just the CLUMP and he was from Hill Street arbroath !

keptie
frankie
Wee Haggis

Arbroath, Scotland
1 Posts
Last here:
09 Oct 2017
Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  3:16:32 PM Show ProfileSend frankie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Dickmontlaw near Marywell the word Law I belived to be a Scottish saying for a hill like the the Sidlaws near Dundee and Normans law in Fife there is a ghost story about Dickmontlaw of Tam the Piper who got lost on the way back from Auchmithie and ended lost in a tunnel under the hill and some say on certain times you can hear his pipes there are a number of people ashes scattered at the Law including my good lady and you can see Dickmontlaw from many places as you approach Arbroath
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.25 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *