All about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractions

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 History & Information
 Arbroath Connections
 Black Watch home coming April 2012 Parade  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
738 Posts
Last here:
6 days ago
Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  7:46:24 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
It is shown on the FB site of the Museum of the Black Watch in the City of Perth that the BLACK WATCH , 3rd Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland will parade through the streets of FORFAR our former County town Of Forfarshire /Angus on the THURSDAY 19TH of April 2012 at 1100 hours .

This is a provisional date at present for the parade of the Black Watch pipeband and officers and men .

They will that day move to Kirkcaldy in the Kingdom of Fife for their parade through the streets there at 1400 hours that date and then the Battalion move to Dundee and then to Perth on the following day of Friday 20th April 2012 for their homecoming parades .

Sadly again Arbroath is not listed in the Homecoming parades and Forfar is the only town in Angus to have a Homecoming parade during April this year.

keptie
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2252 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  12:15:31 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Forfar still has the distinction of being the County Town of Angus and because of this it allows Forfar to represent all the towns/communities of Angus.... I, for one, am glad of this as Dundee seems to preclude Angus from most other events/things that happen. As Perth does for the whole of the Tayside region.

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
738 Posts
Last here:
6 days ago
Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  4:01:55 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi TerryMac, and yes good that at least the Black Watch comes to Angus for a Homecoming Parade as they could just parade in Dundee and say they have been to Angus!

Did the County Towns in the UK under Mrs Thatcher not loose their status ?

Forfar was the County town of FORFARSHIRE / ANGUS and in Fife CUPAR was their County Town but the Black Watch are Parading in Kirkcaldy only for the Fife Homecoming parade !

keptie
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2607 Posts
Last here:
13 Sep 2014
Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  6:07:59 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
To my knowledge Fofar has always been the Capital/Administrative centre of Angus/Forfarshire and it's where the council meet. Hence why so many public sector jobs are based there.

I think all Angus representative ceremonies are held in Forfar, such as the County remembrance ceremony. The olympic torch will make it's way through Forfar too as it's the capital.

Pat, I think PM Thatcher was elected in 1979, so a few years after the country/region council shakeup. Dundee hasn't been part of Angus for many years, certainly sometime before tayside region was created. Angu that was reassembled in 1996 does not include Dundee City which is a separate entity.

Derek.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2252 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  7:45:26 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Keptie, As regards towns losing their "status" (way back in Thatchers days) to my knowledge if an area's local Council Authorities were "changed" then the "new ruling Council Body" decided if a towns status was kept, ended or indeed they apparently could change/give it to another town.
There is no single pattern of local government in the United Kingdom. Instead arrangements vary in the four ‘home nations’ of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. In Scotland, Wales and urban England, with the exception of London, single-tier unitary authorities provide all local services, whereas non-metropolitan England is served by some two-tier systems, i.e. split between district/town councils and county councils.
In West Yorkshire (as you know having spent sometime down here) we basically have five single tier authorities, namely Bradford MDC, Leeds MDC, Wakefield MDC, Kirklees MDC and Calderdale MDC (MDC = Metropolitan District Council) who took over from all the various Town Councils and the now defunct West Yorkshire County Council... I am sure you remember Shipley and Bingley having their own town hall and local council... These five Councils work in a similar way to Angus with elected Councillors from various areas/towns looking after the full infrastructure of their area excluding most Main routes/motorways although (not sure about this) but successive governments appear to have "kindly" given up some "trunk routes" and designated them to be looked after by the respective local MDC.
The main towns preserved their status for their area namely Bradford city, Leeds city, Wakefield city, Huddersfield town and Halifax town...
or, have I missed your meaning Keptie?

Terrymac
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2252 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  8:08:56 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keptie

Hi TerryMac,
Forfar was the County town of FORFARSHIRE / ANGUS and in Fife CUPAR was their County Town but the Black Watch are Parading in Kirkcaldy only for the Fife Homecoming parade !

Fife was a local government region divided into three districts: Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy and North-East Fife. In 1974 Fife Council came into being. Since 1996 the functions of the district councils have been exercised by the unitary Fife Council. In 1974 they changed the "county" town from Cupar to Glenrothes which is now Fife Councils Administrative centre. Cupar losing its official status within the new Council but retaining the "status" for the old North East Fife region. (in name only I suppose, no official recognition??)

Fife is Scotland's third largest local authority area by population. It has a resident population of just under 360,000, almost a third of whom live in the three principal towns of Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy and Glenrothes. Kirkcaldy is Fife's largest town by population (48,108 in 2006), followed by Dunfermline (45,462 in 2006) and then Glenrothes (38,927 in 2006).

So I guess that the choice was based on Kircaldy being the largest town or maybe because of the "Esplanada", a nice large straight road on the banks of the Forth.... ideal for parades!!

Terrymac
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
738 Posts
Last here:
6 days ago
Posted - 24 Apr 2012 :  4:30:48 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
The Black Watch Battalion of the Royal Regiment of Scotland had its homecoming parade in Forfaron Thursday 19th April and the Duke of Rothesay took the salute at the Forfar Cross and then he went a walk about into the butcher's shop there and then in Boots the chemists and then into Irons ironmongers next door and when he came out The Earl of Strathmore from Glamis Castle was there to wave him off as the Earl is the owner of that ironmongers shop in the recent years. Prince Charles wore his Red Hackle of course . He drove his own car away from the event as his detectives drove it around and parked it outside of the shops he was dropping in on .........

It was good to see the Black Watch back home but sadly they sent to this event the Regimental Band of the Royal Regiment of Scotland with only 3 pipers stuck in the back of the regimental band.

That afternoon the Black Watch Homecoming was in Kirkcaldy over the water in the Kingdom o' Fife and they had the Black Watch Pipeband. I see that Perth too had the Homecoming with the Pipes and Drums of the Black Watch and not the Regimental band that was in Forfar for the Homecoming ...............nothing like the Pipes and Drums is there !?

keptie
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2607 Posts
Last here:
13 Sep 2014
Posted - 24 Apr 2012 :  5:27:02 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
It id odd that there was a different band for the same parades on the same day.

Derek.
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2012 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.41 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *