A select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture gallery

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Arbroath Genealogy
 Dora family. pre 1960.  
Welcome to the Arbroath Genealogy Research Page!

Maintain or make your entry :: View the Genealogy Research web page

AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
bridiegirl
Wee Haggis

3 Posts
Last here:
14 Nov 2012
Posted - 05 Jul 2012 :  4:38:05 PM Show Profile Visit bridiegirl's HomepageSend bridiegirl a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi I was born in Forfar but my family on my Mothers side are all from Arbroth. My Mother had 2 sisters and a brother.
Their parents ran the fish and chip shop in Applegate in the 60s.
Joe and his wife came over from Italy and joined his brother who also owned a fish and chip shop in Fishacre Arbroath. I would like any information or photographs of Applegate and especially the shop at number 1 Applegate.
I have massive fond memories of my amazing grandparents who took me on many exciting day trips in the countryside and spoil me silly.
Thanks for your help.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2502 Posts
Last here:
6 days ago
Posted - 06 Jul 2012 :  11:33:37 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Welcome to the site bridiegirl,

There's been much discussion over the years regarding your well known Arbroath family. I had the please of chatting to old George Dora and two of his sons when over visiting the town from Italy a couple of years ago. George sold up his chippy (The Star) in 1994 and retired to the old country.

If you do a few searches for "dora" I'm sure you'll find some good stuff in the old posts.

Cheers,
Derek.
stan
Senior Smokie

stan

Canada
791 Posts
Last here:
26 Nov 2013
Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  8:43:58 PM Show Profile Visit stan's HomepageSend stan a Private Message Reply with Quote
I thought the one at Fisheracre was owned by Joe? maybe it was Frank?(memory fading) and was eventually run by his daughter Jeannie

There was also Johnny Dora and his family who had the chip shop at the bottom of the High Street where i think is an Italian restaraunt now His son was Paul Dora who I think still lives in the town Last saw him about 20 years ago
stan
Senior Smokie

stan

Canada
791 Posts
Last here:
26 Nov 2013
Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  9:01:55 PM Show Profile Visit stan's HomepageSend stan a Private Message Reply with Quote
The more I think about it I think the Dora at Fisheracre was Frank..Definately Jeannie was the Daughter
cicero
Haggis Supper

cicero

Arbroath, Scotland
70 Posts
Last here:
02 Apr 2014
Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  10:48:41 AM Show Profile Visit cicero's HomepageSend cicero a Private Message Reply with Quote
The shop was owned by Chae Dora and Jeannie was indeed his daughter( the one in Fishacre).
stan
Senior Smokie

stan

Canada
791 Posts
Last here:
26 Nov 2013
Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  2:41:42 PM Show Profile Visit stan's HomepageSend stan a Private Message Reply with Quote
Phew Thanks for that Ive been thinking all night on it!! Frank didnt sound right!!worried
smithy
Haggis Supper (with extra sauce)

Canada
158 Posts
Last here:
12 Dec 2013
Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  11:04:59 PM Show Profile Visit smithy's HomepageSend smithy a Private Message Reply with Quote
When I lived in West Newgate up to 1957 I must have lined up for chips at least three times a week at Johnny Dora,s on the high street. My gram lived at 32 Ladybridge street and used to send me up there as well for a pokey. Mind you Pepos was good too!

JoLing
Wee Haggis

1 Posts
Last here:
12 Jan 2013
Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  11:51:06 AM Show ProfileSend JoLing a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi

Joe Dora was my grandfather! I lived in Applegate (over the shop) as a kid.

Uncle Chae (whose real name was Emilio) had the chip shop in Fisheracre. He made the best ice cream on the planet.
acdonaldson
Wee Haggis

United Kingdom
1 Posts
Last here:
07 Mar 2013
Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  4:23:14 PM Show ProfileSend acdonaldson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi, My wife is a Dora, her mother was Ola and her father was Serafino Dora, Chae was her grandfather and of course Joe was her uncle. Joe's children, young Joe, Mary , Angie and Chelie were her Aunts and uncles. I believe the shop in Applegate was originally owned by Chae, who gave it to Joe when he bought and moved to Fisheracre. Chae also owned the Chippie in Guthrie port, which was run by my wifes father and his young brother, Guilio, Mary and Jeannie were their sisters.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1232 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  6:50:14 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
I always thought that the chippies in Guthrie Port were both owned by Jim Zaccarini (Jim Zac). Jim and his wife ran the one next to Riley's toy shop (near the top of Guthrie Port, and it also had a sitting room. Both were taken over in later years by McMillan's the TV firm) and his sisters Mary and Jeannie ran the one further down on the opposite side, next to Koziol the grocers. Jim Zac's shop lasted longer than the smaller one his sisters worked in.
Marcol
Wee Smokie

343 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  2:51:07 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Flintstone - I agree with you, both were owned by the Zaccarini family.
lulubabe
Haggis Supper

lulubabe

United Kingdom
76 Posts
Last here:
17 Aug 2013
Posted - 03 May 2013 :  4:56:26 PM Show Profile Visit lulubabe's HomepageSend lulubabe a Private Message Reply with Quote
Did the Zaccarini family own a chip shop in Jamieson Street...just off the West Port? I remember going in there after the cinema and sitting on a wooden bench at a wooden table. Some members of the Fairport Wheelers Cycling used to meet there.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1232 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 04 May 2013 :  12:12:45 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
There was a chippy in Dishlandtown Street, off the West Port, but I think it was owned by the Becci's. It was later owned by a Mr Schiavetta, then I think Cadman had it before opening the present shop on the West Port. There may well have been a chippy in Jamieson Street, but not in my lifetime.
lulubabe
Haggis Supper

lulubabe

United Kingdom
76 Posts
Last here:
17 Aug 2013
Posted - 04 May 2013 :  12:24:51 PM Show Profile Visit lulubabe's HomepageSend lulubabe a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thank you Flinstone.....it was Becci's, in Dishland Town Street, you jogged my memory. I remember Cadman's only being on the West Port. My school friend Irene Gillespie married one of the Cadman's ,her father had a Bakers shop in Helen Street. He made gorgeous rhubarb pies.
Marcol
Wee Smokie

343 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 04 May 2013 :  10:16:27 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Lulubabe - Where about was that bakers shop in Helen Street, I remember a sweetie shop on the same side as the railway near to the Spink Street corner, was that it.
Blether69
Wee Haggis

United Kingdom
1 Posts
Last here:
12 Jan 2014
Posted - 12 Jan 2014 :  11:06:45 PM Show ProfileSend Blether69 a Private Message Reply with Quote
My auntie is Irene Cadman (Gillespie). She married Bob Cadman and I remember once going upstairs in Keptie Street to his snooker hall which was above Cadman's tearoom. I think the chippy took over the tearoom when the snooker hall closed. Grandad's bakers in Helen street was way up Helen Street near the well gate, before you came to Chick Ramsay's sweetie shop. Mum's saying her and her sisters used to howk out the hot tar from in between the cobbles and roll it into balls!smile Apparently, my great grandad was a cobbler up the top of Lochland Street. He only had one leg due to an accident with the shunter on the train line.
Marcol
Wee Smokie

343 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  11:01:16 AM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
I don't remember Cadmans Tearoom as a chip shop, did that happen in the 70s. Chick Ramsay's shop was on the corner of Lochlands Street and Helen Street and faced Ogilvy Place. In the 1951/52 Arbroath Yearbook there is an E. Gillespie, baker, listed at 68 Helen Street, I am not sure where 68 Helen Street was. My auntie's shop was not so much a bakers shop as a sweet shop and they did home baking.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1232 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  8:19:59 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
My auntie jean lived directly opposite the gate to the railway station coalyard, which was about halfway along Helen street, after the spink street intersection. Marilyn, your aunties shoppie was the same side as the gate, and maybe one entry up from my aunties. the shoppie changed hands a couple of times during the years my auntie lived there, Pete Scott followedd your auntie, and later it was a Mrs Addy. There was a bakery shop along near Hutton the grocers end of Helen street! maybe Mr Gillespie occupied that at one time??
geolud
Wee Haggis

1 Posts
Last here:
15 Jan 2014
Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  10:42:06 PM Show ProfileSend geolud a Private Message Reply with Quote
I was born and brought up in Arbroath, Bridiegirl. I remember very well the Family Dora who had the best chip shops in the town. I may have information which may help you, if my memory serves me well!! It is just not Applegate but others in Arbroath. As I am new to this, please reply.
Marcol
Wee Smokie

343 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  10:02:05 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hi Flintstone - My aunties shop was at 47 Helen Street and my uncle George had a store at 45 Helen Street. I think 68 Helen street would be on the opposite side nearer Frasers. I don't remember a bakery nearer Huttons but there was a D.L. Butchart, baker listed at 36 Helen Street,that would be about the address I think.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1232 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  12:46:51 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
I have some info from Edwina Barraclough (nee Gillespie), granddaughter of the aforementioned Gillespie Bakers. She confirms they did have a shop in Helen Street, next door to their house, which she thought was number 90, but couldn't be certain. Edwina cant really remember the bakery itself, but said that it was converted into a flat when it closed. Her grandfather apparently used to keep goats and pigs, and delivered his goods by horse and cart. Edwina's late dad was the only boy in the family - he had 8 sisters! Feel very tempted to make a comment about bakers.....buns......ovens.....but I wont!
Page: of 2Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 Forum Locked Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2012 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.56 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *