All about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractions

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 Arbroath in the news
 Guthriehill/Timmers Demolition  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  02:24:55 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
In the last couple of weeks the flats at Guthrie hill have been gutted and demolished.

Likewise Timmergreens Primary school is turning to rubble

Derek.
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
213 Posts
Last here:
6 days ago
Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  07:34:53 AM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
I am sure they are considered an eyesore nowadays, Like Larissa I lived and grew up there, was not that bad. Attitudes to housing and architecture changes with different generations, the powers at the time obviously considered them the answer to housing shortages, but understandable the younger generation dont consider them 'cool'. Bit sad for me.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  12:57:22 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
I think the flats were fine structurally. It's the stigma associated with an area now that they weem to want to remove with demolition.

Here's a pic of the demolition of the school.

Opened late 60's, knocked down 2014.
I wonder hoe long the designer had planned it to last?

Same goes for the "visionary" flats designers.

Derek.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2412 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  4:42:00 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
just went past Guthrie Hill.. Looking the from main road, the flats on the left seem to be lived in and OK.. The ones on the right are just a big pile of rubble with a JCB on top of it.. Well back down to the Townhouse Hotel (Ogstons) and mess about.. Seeing Phil at 7.00pm tonight.. If you are in the High Street why not call in to The Townhouse Hotel and have a glass of beer and say hello..

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Pétanque
Wee Smokie

France
213 Posts
Last here:
6 days ago
Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  5:14:00 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Have any plans been announce for the Guthrie Hill / Crafty site. Prime site for commerce or residential I would think.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 07 Sep 2016 :  02:12:04 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pétanque

Have any plans been announce for the Guthrie Hill / Crafty site. Prime site for commerce or residential I would think.

It's to be called "Abbey Quarter", sounds a bit daft, it's no like the town has quarters like an old medieval walled town.

http://www.angus.gov.uk/blog/housing/post/82/revitalisation-of-housing-in-the-arbroath-abbey-quarter-continues
roobarrb
Wee Haggis

roobarrb

United Kingdom
40 Posts
Last here:
04 Feb 2018
Posted - 07 Oct 2016 :  4:59:37 PM Show ProfileSend roobarrb a Private Message Reply with Quote
Gosh, I'm really shocked. I was brought up in Guthrie Hill. Half a century ago it was a very, very different place. Only have happy memories of our old flat, such a shame to see it flattened like that. Keep thinking of the theme from Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads... "Tomorrow's almost over, Today went by so fast, The only thing to look forward to... the past?'
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.25 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *