All about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractions

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 Arbroath in the news
 Arbroath 2020 Declaration Celebrations  
Author Topic Next Topic 
2020 Sec
Wee Haggis

United Kingdom
2 Posts
Last here:
09 Feb 2017
Posted - 09 Feb 2017 :  12:38:04 PM Show ProfileSend 2020 Sec a Private Message Reply with Quote
Join In With Arbroath’s 2020 Celebrations
A public meeting will be held in St Andrews Church Hall, Arbroath, at 2pm on Sunday, February 19 to enable local people, organisations and businesses to become involved in the global celebrations of the 700th anniversary of the Signing of the Declaration of Arbroath in 2020.

The public meeting has been organised by Arbroath 2020, the group of local people and organisations who are working closely with representatives of Angus Council, Historic Environment Scotland, Visit Scotland and Hospitalfield to organise a programme of events in Arbroath to mark the 700th anniversary of the Signing of the Declaration of Arbroath.

“This meeting is a chance to share ideas, discuss possibilities and put forward suggestions for special events to mark this highly significant anniversary,” said Norman Atkinson, chair of Arbroath 2020. “The 700th anniversary of the Declaration of Arbroath could potentially attract thousands of visitors from all over the world to our town, boosting the local economy by millions and considerably raising the profile of Arbroath and the surrounding area.

“April 6, 2020 is the anniversary of the signing of the Declaration in Arbroath Abbey by the nobles of Scotland. However, it is Arbroath 2020’s intention that the celebrations will take the form of a 12-month programme of special events throughout Arbroath, with at least one major, national event which will encourage considerable media and tourism attention.”

Norman explained that the meeting on Sunday, February 19 will also feature an update on ideas currently under consideration for the celebrations and for the legacy aspect of the 700th anniversary, both in Arbroath and nationally.

“As part of the legacy discussions, Tom Walker’s plaque depicting the Signing of The Declaration of Arbroath will be on display,” continued Norman, who added that there will also be an update on the 2020 Tapestry, which is being designed by the designer of the Great Tapestry of Scotland, Andrew Crummy.

“The 700th anniversary is only three years away and at this vital stage in the planning process, the members of Arbroath 2020 need the involvement, support, enthusiasm and ideas of the local people and the local community to make the very most of this opportunity to make Arbroath the place to be in 2020.”
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2412 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 10 Feb 2017 :  08:54:24 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
This is a great surprise to me..

It was at Newbattle Abbey, near Edinburgh, that the Declaration of Arbroath, in the form of a letter submitted to Pope John XXII, dated 6 April 1320, was drafted.

Sealed by fifty-one magnates and nobles, the letter is the only survivor of three created at the time and makes the case for Scottish Independence.

Written in Latin, it is believed to have been drafted by, amongst others, Bernard, abbot of Arbroath Abbey, who was the Chancellor of Scotland at the time. This is what gives the letter its name as there was no meeting in Arbroath.

Up until today I thought it all happened in Arbroath...

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2412 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 10 Feb 2017 :  09:01:21 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yet the Declaration states>>>

We commit the defence of our cause to Him who is the Sovereign King and Judge, we cast the burden of our cares upon Him, and hope for such an issue as may give strength and courage to us and bring our enemies to nothing. The Most High God long preserve your Serenity and Holiness to His Holy Church.

Given at the Monastery of Arbroath in Scotland, the sixth day of April in the year of Grace 1320, and of our said king's reign the 15th year.

Terrymac
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2412 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 10 Feb 2017 :  09:19:21 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
A little more digging reveals the following.. Anne Southwood the Principal of the College (where Newbattle Abbey once stood) released the following..

"Although the seals of the earls and barons were attached at Arbroath, before the document was sent to the Pope at Avignon, historical evidence points to the Declaration being drafted by the nobles of Scotland at Newbattle."

Terrymac
woodentop
Senior Smokie

woodentop

404 Posts
Last here:
03 May 2018
Posted - 11 Feb 2017 :  02:51:24 AM Show ProfileSend woodentop a Private Message Reply with Quote
"Given at the Monastery of Arbroath in Scotland, the sixth day of April in the year of Grace 1320, and of our said king's reign the 15th year."

Sets it in Arbroath for me.

Good spot though Terrymac.
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Sandstone is a forum sponsor!
Canada
997 Posts
Last here:
17 May 2018
Posted - 12 Feb 2017 :  02:23:44 AM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Newbattle? must be one of those Trump "alternative facts" that have recently come to light.

Sandstone party See you on "TheShoppie"
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2412 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 12 Feb 2017 :  08:04:58 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Because we are reaching a "MASSIVE" celebration in 2020 for the Scottish Declaration of Independence, otherwise known as the Declaration of Arbroath, I suppose that Newbattle Abbey College is just "jumping on the bandwagon" with their claims of historical indications the monks of Newbattle Abbey wrote the draft Declaration... Maybe they may have actually written at least one copy of the letter.

As many copies and translations have been made of the Declaration, all down the centuries, we appear to still have an original with all the seals... so I guess that another copy, with all the seals attached was sent to the Pope.

It was the first I had heard of it and just thought it was worth a mention and that someone may have had some more interesting information to pass on to all TheShoppie readers..

Terrymac
woodentop
Senior Smokie

woodentop

404 Posts
Last here:
03 May 2018
Posted - 01 Mar 2017 :  9:24:26 PM Show ProfileSend woodentop a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandstone

Newbattle? must be one of those Trump "alternative facts" that have recently come to light.

Slight thread drift but an interesting piece on alternative facts here:

So . . . what’s wrong with ‘alternative facts?’

Nothing — absolutely nothing. Quite the opposite, really. Alternative facts are what we use to learn new things about the world around us. Science is the subject of using alternative facts to come to a better understanding. Discovering that there are alternative facts about something – even better, seemingly contradictory facts – is what points us to an area of study that promises the reward of new insights into the natural world.

Out in today’s world of U.S. Two-Party Politics – an Alice-in-Wonderland-esque landscape being repainted daily in the “news” and “social” media – a lot of ill-mannered, Queen-of-Hearts-style nonsense is being churned out by turning this perfectly good and useful idea – alternative facts – into a mockery of truth-finding — turning Truth into an one-word oxymoron.

https://judithcurry.com/2017/02/26/whats-wrong-with-alternative-facts/
  Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.16 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *