Famous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about Arbroath
†† ††
Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Off Topic banter
 PARKING IN ARBROATH  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1660 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 30 Dec 2018 :  10:30:35 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
itís a bit of a hit tattie at the moment, but yesterday I parked at the West .abbey Street car park, paid my £1, and went to do my shopping. I returned about 50 minutes later to find 2 parking attendants checking over the cars, as is their job. Just then this woman appeared from the front of her car waving the dreaded ticket. She then launched a tirade on the attendants, who tried to calmly explain that the car park has been a ďpayingĒ one since 1 November. She was having none of it and continued to argue the toss before toddling back to her car with her ticket. I donít know where she has been since 1 November, perhaps on the planet Zog, but if you donít pay up, youíll get caught and hit in the pocket. Nobody likes it, but until it changes, if ever, we have to toe the line. Sorry, missus, but youíre no different from any of the rest of us who have to take our cars into town.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
355 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 02 Jan 2019 :  09:36:07 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Not at all competent to make any meaningful contribution on this particular topic Wilma, but I do hope that Arbroath has not used two types of infernal machines. Bournemouth has this year installed ones that only accept bank cards in its seafront carparks. It's apparently taking 3-4 minutes to authorise each transaction. Stood 15mins in a queue of five the other evening. It must have been sheer HELL the night previously, when 3500 people would have turned up at roughly the same time to attend the "That'll Be The Day" Xmas show.

Then a couple of years back, we couldn't park around the Severn Valley region because their parking machines wouldn't accept our French car registration number. Obviously a case of "Foreigners Keep Out!". Where do they get these Council dunderheids? . . . . from your planet Zog?
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1660 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 02 Jan 2019 :  11:38:19 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yes Pete, the new machines are card only, and would bamboozle a MENSA member! I have, to date, had to assiste several folks who were having difficulty! The machine at a West Abbey Street always shows a minimum charge of £2, when it is in fact £1 minimum. So start transaction, then have to cancel as itís only £1 I want. Have to use it though, no use protesting, as a fine would be worse!! They have us by the short and curlies , without a doubt!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
355 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 04 Jan 2019 :  5:49:56 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Suddenly remembered a parking meter anecdote Wilma. We visited Arles in south of France at the beginning of October, and got involved with two other couples trying to decipher one of these fancy parking meters, where most of the symbols had rubbed away. One couple were Dutch and the other were Scots - in fact the grandson of a very famous Carnoustie resident of yore. "Tattie" Thompson. Small World eh? I guess your other half would have known him if not yourself.

Another Carnoustie resident also on show recently, on the tribute to June Whitfield on Beeb2 (first shown 2009). Dave (John) Kane contributing as one of the writers of "Terry and June". My other half's boyfriend before me!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1660 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 04 Jan 2019 :  9:16:24 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Yes have heard of both Tattie Thompson and David Kane. Was friendly with the daughter in law of Bill Thompson, who had Panbride works, across from where Liz McColgan had her health club. Sadly, both are no longer in situ!
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.36 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *