All about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractions

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 History & Information
 Arbroath History, People and Places
 Corporal John Scott BOATH, BLACK WATCH  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
898 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 04 Jan 2019 :  5:05:56 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Back in around 2017 I was at the Signal Tower Museum in Arbroath and the staff there brought my attention to the donated Roll of Honour and Roll of Service of ERSKINE U F CHURCH in Commerce Street in Arbroath for the Great War of 1914 -1918 . There were EIGHT casualties of the war on the list of war dead and Three long lines of men and women who had served in that War who had survived the war . The Roll of Honour at the base area has a painting of a Sailor and a Soldier of the Great War in uniform and a painting of the Arbroath Abbey .

I took a note of the Eight Casualties of that War . Eight of them were listed on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission index and only Seven listed on the SCOTTISH NATIONAL WAR MEMORIAL at the Edinburgh Castle . The war casualty who was not listed on the Edinburgh Castle Roll of Honour was CORPORAL 3850 JOHN SCOTT BOATH , 3/5th The Black Watch transferred to (262469 ) 450th Home Service Employment Coy attached Gordon Highlanders died of illness at the EDINBURGH CASTLE WAR HOSPITAL on 4th February 1919 aged 42 years . He is buried in Arbroath Western Cemetery compartment P grave no 109. He was the son of late William and Helen Mill Boath , husband of ELIZABETH WHYTOCK BOATH , of 28 Bank Street ARBROATH .

I researched the birth of Cpl Boath as he must be born in Scotland to be listed on the SNWM at the Edinburgh Castle and found him listed in the Arbroath & District Roll of Honour for 1914-1919 war published and printed by T Buncle Arbroath Guide offices . I submitted a file with the information from newspapers on his war service which was on Home Duties only so he has no War Medals for his service . There were reports in the local newspapers too on his work as an Arbroath Butcher with a Mr David Harris . He was a prominent Freemason with Lodge St Thomas in Arbroath and RWM for two years . He was called up for the War during August 1916 into the 5th Black Watch as a Private soldier . In early 1919 he had influenza and pneumonia and died in the Edinburgh Castle Military hospital on 4th February 1919. He was buried in the Western Cemetery at Arbroath with Masonic honours . I was pleased to hear from the Trustees of the Scottish National War Memorial in the recent weeks that Corporal John Scott BOATH , Black Watch had been accepted as a casualty of the Great War and his name is being added to the index and will be soon on their Website

(Patrick W Anderson )

keptie
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
898 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 12 Jan 2019 :  1:39:16 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
The Courier & Advertiser (Angus and Mearns editions) for Wednesday 9th January 2019 records ARBROATH MAN'S NAME NOW ON WAR MEMORIAL 100 YEARS AFTER DEATH.

Records that Corporal John Scott BOATH , of Millgate loan Arbroath has now in the recent weeks been added to the Scottish National War Memorial roll of honour as a casualty of the Great War . He is recorded with the Black Watch /labour Corp (450th Home Service Coy, later Gordon Highlanders

PS
I found that his employer was still trading in Arbroath in 1922 Arbroath Year Book for Butchers

BUTCHERS

HARRIS , GEO , 29 MILLGATE LOAN and Hamilton Green.

(Patrick w Anderson)

keptie
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
898 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 18 Jan 2019 :  7:38:15 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Arbroath herald for Friday 18th January 2019 records RESEARCH has set the record Straight for Angus soldier . Re Corporal John Scott BOATH, Black Watch & Gordon Highlanders now added to the Scottish National War Memorial at the Edinburgh Castle . " Local Historian Patrick Anderson discovered why there was a discrepancy between war graves commission and national records . says Mark Dowie , reporter of Arbroath Herald "

(not if any one wants to see the Erskine U F Church Roll of honour for the Great War it is now back in the Angus Archives at Restenneth beside Restenneth Priory . It was only on loan from the Angus Archives to the Arbroath's Signal Tower Museum for the 100 years anniversary of the end of the War . Its on display in the reading room at the archives as I viewed it close up to see what paintings it showed as I heard it showed the Bell Rock Lighthouse on the base area of the roll of honour and yes there is a wee dot for the Bell Rock Lighthouse and then a Battleship and A Royal Navy Sailor , a kilted Highland Soldier wearing a Red Hackle and the two holding a shield which has an inset of a painting of the Erskine U F Church from the outside of the building in Commerce Street . Above the shield is a head of a Nursing sister in uniform and to the right of these men a painting of the Arbroath Abbey . At the top of the Roll of Honour there is a painting of Bi-Plane

(Patrick W Anderson)

keptie
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.34 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *