A select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture gallery
Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Introduce yourself
 Hello from Sydney, Australia.  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
Ian Renn
Wee Haggis

Australia
3 Posts
Last here:
18 Jun 2019
Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  12:45:30 AM Show ProfileSend Ian Renn a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hello Arbroath. My name is Ian Renn and I am the grandson of Henry Maxwell and Jessie Dargie who both emigrated from Arbroath in 1924. I have left a message in the Genealogy Forum but have not heard anything to date. I am trying to discover why my grandfather cut off all communication with his family after leaving Arbroath. He was one of eight children and to the best of our knowledge, only one of his sisters tried to keep in contact. I don't want to tread on anyone's toes or open old wounds if there are any, but perhaps a discreet whisper might help settle our curiosity. I would be glad to hear from anyone who can help. Regards, Ian.
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
898 Posts
Last here:
24 May 2019
Posted - 01 Mar 2019 :  9:05:03 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
the 1922 year book for eastern Forfarshire and Arbroath shows on page 158 householders for the town :

MAXWELL, AGNES , HOUSE KEEPER 56 Howard street
MAXWELL, EUPHEMIA , factory worker, 26 Helen street
MAXWELL, GEO, SEAMAN , 19 Fisheracre

MAXWELL, HENRY , FLAXDRESSER , 20 Park Street .XXX

MAXWELL, MARY, 19 Cairnie street

MAXWELL, miss Mary , Drees maker 46 Addison Place

maybe Henry Maxwell is your relative and have you checked the BT telephone directory on line for MAXWELL or do you want to email the Arbroath herald letters page and mention your looking for relatives without mentioning the family problems of life ! Yes I know of my family quarrel and family fall out and I was asked to visit an aunt of my Dads when I was at primary school in Arbroath and after a few visits I was given my great grandfathers pocket watch and it turned out no one had spoken to either family since maybe 1922 or so and they even changed kirks in the town and were buried in the Eastern Cemetery in the town and not the usual Western Cemetery !]

best wishes
Patrick w Anderson

keptie
Ian Renn
Wee Haggis

Australia
3 Posts
Last here:
18 Jun 2019
Posted - 04 Mar 2019 :  05:48:26 AM Show ProfileSend Ian Renn a Private Message Reply with Quote
Patrick, thank you very much for your response and very useful guidance. Henry Maxwell, flax dresser of 20 Park Street was my great grandfather. I suspect that Miss Mary Maxwell, dressmaker of 46 Addison Place may well have been my grandfather's older sister. Dressmaking seems to be a family calling as my own mother, also named Mary, was a seamstress as well. I think I will take a look at the BT Directories first, but the idea of a letter to the Arbroath Herald is certainly one worth considering. I will discuss this with my uncle, Harry Maxwell, whom by default we have made chief of our clan in Australia. I will keep this topic going and report what I discover. Many thanks, Ian.
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.47 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *