Details of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTube
Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 Member Announcements
 A PLEA TO ALL SHOPPERS  
Author Topic Next Topic 
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1670 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  10:45:34 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Here I sit, broken -hearted
Shoppie readers have departed
If they dinna come back soon
Dave micht haul the shutters doon

Oor Shoppie, whaur we used tae meet
Tae blether, laugh, or hae a greet
And meet wi folk fae a the airts
Fae Hame or fae some foreign pairts

Schules we gaed tae, games we played
Teachers nick names, whaur we stayed,
Hayshead, Airlie, Strathie, Cairnie
Toddled roond them as a bairnie

Frasers, Shankies, NTG
Minors o the ABC
Telly shows in black and white
Great, or just a load o sh*t*

Ony thing that came tae mind
Up tae date, or auld Lang syned
Was talked aboot wi love and pride
The Shoppie doors were open wide

But noo, the cobwebs are profuse
The doors creak through the lack o use
We ask fit reason could there be?
The answer - its technology

FB is the culprit here
Its guard the Shoppie members veer
Awa fae couthy, cosy craic
Tae quicker posts and answers back

I haud my hand up, Im as bad
But every day I feel gie sad
That I And every one time Shopper
Micht see oor auld freend come a cropper.

If I could rub Aladdins lamp
Id wish The Shoppie a revamp
A site tae beat the very best
And no tae see it laid tae rest.

Flintstone

flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1670 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 22 Mar 2019 :  1:14:14 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Seventeen folk have read the poem. Naebody answered, commented or ticked a like or dislike. I posted it to get a reaction. No takers.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
362 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 23 Mar 2019 :  07:54:51 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Another brilliant bit of poetry Flintstone, but sadly so accurate. But the lack of response might actually have been a techie issue. I could see your work last night but could not log in to respond. Mark my words there will be a flood of responses today!!!!
Cobus
Wee Haggis

Cobus

Scotland
13 Posts
Last here:
23 Mar 2019
Posted - 23 Mar 2019 :  3:56:53 PM Show Profile Visit Cobus's HomepageSend Cobus a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flintstone

Seventeen folk have read the poem. Naebody answered, commented or ticked a like or dislike. I posted it to get a reaction. No takers.

Aye, there wiz a taker: me! I wiz busy excavatin a verse oot of ma heid, bit wiz sidetracked by my missus, needin jobs done.sad
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1670 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 27 Mar 2019 :  6:51:34 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
A week has gone by, almost.replies welcome!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1670 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 15 Apr 2019 :  09:02:47 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Ive been checking every day. Not even Sandstone has made a comment, good, bad or indifferent!
Sandstone
TheShoppie Forum Admin

Sandstone

Sandstone is a forum sponsor!
Canada
1020 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 17 Apr 2019 :  4:25:38 PM Show ProfileSend Sandstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Ah Wilma, I'm definitely guilty there. I did read it and think it is wonderful. Your verse, I find, really makes me feel quite nostalgic and makes me reach for my rose coloured glasses.
What have I learned?
I think the shoppie needs an active core of about 50 posters to keep it alive and interesting.
There is no question we had a sense of community and if we didn't know each other we certainly knew of each other.
Other social media sites thrive on anonymity and the "filters" I appreciate on the Shoppie don't seem to matter. There were very few hurtful comments on the Shoppie.
A bulletin board, by definition, means one posts a thought or a story and waits for several responses. A conversation can last days, weeks or months! The next generation has far less patience and wants instant gratification. They don't wait for daily news papers, don't write letters and have instant communication with anyone wherever they are. A lot of plusses but a lot of negatives as we graduate to news sources that give us the slant we seek rather than unbiased reporting. I worry that this is a root cause of the polarizing we see in society at the moment.

Blah Blah, what I am struggling with is the fact that I feel I have guardianship of a truly honest, heartfelt and very diverse record of a small but significant piece of Arbroath history here on The Shoppie.

1) I want to keep it alive if possible.

2) I want to preserve it for the future.

3) I have no idea how!

BUT! Wilma, you are a true inspiration....

Thank you,

Dave (Sandstone)

Sandstone party See you on "TheShoppie"
  Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.84 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *