A select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture gallery

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 History & Information
 Arbroath History, People and Places
 Pte David Pyper , Canadian Infantry drowned WW1  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
898 Posts
Last here:
24 May 2019
Posted - 17 Apr 2019 :  9:08:48 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Lt Colonel Roger Binks , keeper of the rolls of the Scottish National War Memorial at the Edinburgh Castle has accepted yet another 4 files of WW1 casualties this year and one of these four was ARBROATH RESIDENT Pte 430187 DAVID PYPER , 31st Battalion Canadian Infantry who was born in Fettercairn , Kincardineshire and drowned in the ENGLISH CHANNEL on 17th November 1915 when a patient on the Hospital Ship HMHS Anglia in the English Channel .The hospital ship hit a mine and sank in a short time and his body has never been found . He is listed on the Arbroath War Memorial for WW1 but not on any church war memorials that I can find and not even on the family headstone in the Arbroath Eastern Cemetery . His father was ARBROATH BURGH POLICE INSPECTOR for many years and was acting chief constable while the chief Constable was away at the war and when the chief constable came back to duty in 1917 after being badly wounded INSPECTOR ROBERT CAMERON PYPER retired from the police in Arbroath.

I am grateful for accepting my casualties of war and to see that PRIVATE DAVID CAMERON PYPER , Canadian Infantry drowned on 17th November 1915 is now to be listed on the Rolls of Honour - Canadian Infantry (scots born who served in the Canadian units in WW1)

Patrick w anderson

keptie
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
898 Posts
Last here:
24 May 2019
Posted - 17 May 2019 :  8:16:18 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Arbroath Herald for 17th May 2019 records on page 8 and 9 ANGUS SOLDIER IS NOW IN FROM THE COLD AND RIGHTLY RECORDED ; Re Pte David Pyper , Canadian Infantry drowned on hospital ship off Dover on 17th November 1915 when a patient and the ship hit a mine and the vessel sank in 15 minutes .

A good write up and in the Montrose Review for 16th May 2019 as well as he lived in Montrose for a few years before his father Robert Cameron Pyper transferred from the Montrose Burgh Police to the Arbroath Burgh Police and David Pyper emigrated to Canada in 1902 and married in I think it was 1904 and the military records record that his father Robert Pyper , inspector of Police 60 Millgate loan Arbroath his next of kin but it should have been his widow Mrs Mary Pyper recorded as residing at Lena Man, Canada. Pte David Pyper had Two children in Canada .

(Patrick w Anderson)

keptie
keptie
Senior Smokie

Scotland
898 Posts
Last here:
24 May 2019
Posted - 24 May 2019 :  9:39:48 PM Show Profile Visit keptie's HomepageSend keptie a Private Message Reply with Quote
Courier & Advertiser for Thursday 23rd May 2019 - CRAIGIE PAGE COVERED a story on PRIVATE DAVID CAMERON PYPER , Canadian Infantry - who was a sgt in the 48th Battalion and then as the 31st battalion were going war sooner he returned to being a Private soldier and went off to war. The story covers the story of his letter home to his parents at 60 Millgate Arbroath and the war in the trenches and his friends from Dundee and Inverness with him . Then the notification to his parents of him in hospital wounded and then another communication reporting he was missing in the sinking of the Hospital ship Anglia in the English channel off Folkstone on 17th November 1915 .
A good long write up and a picture of him in uniform (head and shoulders only )

He is listed on the Arbroath war memorial but not on the family headstone in the Arbroath's eastern cemetery for some reason ..

Remembered in death

Patrick w Anderson

keptie
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.31 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *