Details of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTube
†† ††
Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Off Topic banter
 Radio North Angus  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 12 May 2019 :  10:26:44 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Just thought Iíd put in a good word for this great wee Radio Station, so I hope somebody will read it and either give us some feedback, or tune in and sample some of the great programmes. I have all but forsaken Radio 2 (except for Popmaster, and Tony Blackburnís Sounds of the Sixties, and Elaine Paige on Sunday), for the couthy, easy listening (mostly) programmes of RNA. Special mention goes to my old friend Dave Law who plays Wilmaís Wish every Saturday morning at 11.30, and goes out of his way to find rare classics which Iím sure he thinks Iíve made up to make life difficult for him!! He also does a 50s show on a Thursday mid morning, and a breakfast show. Another presenter I enjoy listening to is Edith Cargill, who does the Thursday morning breakfast show. Great music and chat from a lady who is obviously a big fan of Bob Dylan, and I wonder if she knows that the song she plays intermittently, Bing Bang Bong by Sophia Loren, comes from a film called Houseboat, starring Loren and Cary Grant!! Boss of the whole organisation is a former schoolmate from High School 1962-68, Malcolm Finlayson, and he is no mean presenter himself. He has a nice voice for Radio, and is quite knowledgeable about music, playing a lot of 50s and 60s on his programmes. Iím saying all these nice things despite the fact that he turned me down for the chance to be a presenter myself..........ah well, his loss!!! Only kidding. If anyone is an ex-Pat, you can listen in via their website. Go on, tune in.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 13 May 2019 :  10:43:43 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
I guess you would be surprised Wilma if I didnít put my oar in, as that ex-pat getting my fix of Arbroath life by listening to Dave Law on Radio North Angus for the last six years. I have always worried that other furriní Lichties (or Shoppers) might not come across it without help. The name ďRNAĒ doesnít exactly say ďArbroathĒ and, of a couple of Internet radio providers, one says itís based in Dundee and the other Aberdeen, but itís genuine LichtieLand coming to you from premises at the Infirmary.

Outside the local area you can find it on http://www.radionorthangus.co.uk or alternatively on TuneIn Radio at http://tunein.com/radio/RNA-966-s45485/ . In fact, for reasons unknown, the RNA website just doesnít work on my (Android) phone, and I am forced to use TuneIn on that device when required. RNA is also available on other internet radio providers Ė I forget which.

I canít remember how I got started listening to Dave Ė but itís a fair chance that it was at your recommendation Wilma. I rarely listen live and normally record his shows to amuse myself while out gardening or DiY-ing and must have hundreds of his shows still on hard disk. (Iíll scrub them if I ever run out of space). I often listen to a couple of these oldies each week, as well as his current Saturday and Tuesday shows, and Iíve recently started recording Malcolm on Saturday mornings too, immediately before Dave. I have heard a few of the other RNA presenters. Very rarely thoí, but there are a couple that I just cannot handle! But now youíve mentioned a third Dave show that I didnít know about, I have to get on to that. Thanks for the heads-up, Daveís never mentioned it even thoí it the 50ís Ė one of my fortes.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 13 May 2019 :  11:34:02 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
His 50s show is on after Edith Cargill on Thursday at 10am.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 14 May 2019 :  09:04:58 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Wilma. I shall be interested to hear which "50's" this will be. When I first started to listen, Dave was playing a preponderance of very obscure 50's R'n'R. Fantastic! More recently on his monthly 50/70 Saturday show, his balance was very much in favour of the pre R'n'R "light program" music, but the R'n'R seems to be creeping back. PS I'm not buried in the past, I also listen to Ken Bruce a lot to make sure I don't miss out on new music - some of which is brill these days.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 14 May 2019 :  4:21:07 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Peter, I find myself listening a lot less to Ken these days, as Todayís offerings do nothing for me. Not the right thing to do, but Iím entrenched in the past!!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 19 May 2019 :  12:05:58 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
So, Dave's Thursday show turned out to be neither R'n'R 50's nor Light Program 50's, Wilma. It was the 60's. I was a wee bit disappointed. But his Tuesday breakfast show was an amazing ecletic mix. Where does he get these ideas? Shame about your WWW technical dificulties today.

Well that's UK last again. Very mediocre song but not the very worst by any means.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 20 May 2019 :  4:06:22 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Just caught the tail end of the ESC, and the way they vote now is crackers!! Th earliest ESC I recall,is the one with Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson singing Sing Little Birdie, in 1959. Teddyís brother Bryan sang the British entry the following year with Looking High, High, High. Then The Allisonís with Are you Sure. No winners there. Back then it was all about the song, not the faffing about with presentation and fancy costumes and gimmicks. My daughter watched this yearís show, and said amadonna was truly dreadful, so out of tune.
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
376 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 29 May 2019 :  08:43:39 AM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Dave's Thursday show turned out not to be the 80's as I predicted . . . . it wasn't even Dave. It was Murray Nichol - no R'n'R. And Malcolm on Saturday morning before Dave, turned out not to be Malcolm, it was Richard Irvine. I've no idea what kind of music he was playing because I renamed my recorded file accordingly - my software just did not like that. Ye cannae win! Occasionally catch Brian Cruickshank's Country show on a Sunday, and did so this week - it was raining! (My kind of music, must record it regularly). I'm guessing Brian is the younger brother of Ron Cruickshanks who was in my class at Inver. Zat so Wilma?

Correcting something I wrote above, RNA now DOES play on my Android phone on http://www.radionorthangus.co.uk. I tried it again after Malcolm told me that had recently changed their internet broadcast provider.

Meant to say I thought the presentation of Madonna's show was great (if weird), spoiled by her singing so off key. On the same subject - nearly - all this complaining about not hearing the Spice Girls from the back. They were lucky!! Caird Hall 1963 for the Beatles and Stones, we heard NOTHING for the screaming, and we were in the 4th and 2nd front rows (or vice-versa). Seevin' an' sic (x4) doon the drain!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1695 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 30 May 2019 :  7:59:33 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Not sure which Brian Cruikshank this is, Peter. Know of two.
Miranda
Wee Haggis

3 Posts
Last here:
01 Jun 2019
Posted - 01 Jun 2019 :  11:20:10 AM Show ProfileSend Miranda a Private Message Reply with Quote
I am a big fan of Ken, though it's been a while a tuned. I get so busy now that I hardly listen to radio.

Impossible is nothing
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2019 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.52 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *