Arbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connection
Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 News
 Arbroath in the news
 Fireworks Displays (or lack of) in Angus  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
JAS
Haggis Supper (with extra sauce)

JAS

Arbroath, Scotland
197 Posts
Last here:
06 Apr 2009
Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  11:08:16 AM Show Profile Visit JAS's HomepageSend JAS a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thanks !!! I'll go now.... ooppps I mean AFTER work !!
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2412 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 04 Nov 2014 :  11:36:41 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Just saw comments on Facebook with Angus Council advising no Firework Display in Arbroath at Vicky Park... I remember Phil Petrie with his marvellous photos of the display at Vicky Park that he posted with The Ness as a back drop..

Anyway... for all those that would like to see one this year, wrap up warm and nip down with the kids after school to Dundee.. Be there for 6 to 6.30 pm.

http://www.dundee.com/events/fireworks-display-baxter-park.html

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 05 Nov 2014 :  12:57:34 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
A lot of vitroil has been directed at the "cooncil" for not having one. I think some folk are under the delusion past events were council run affairs, not community funded and run affairs.

Here's a post my pal Chic Grant made on pussbook yesterday in light of the disappointment folk displayed due to the misunderstanding a show had been advertised.

"Folks there are NO FIREWORKS in the Vicky Park Tomorrow. The event from last year has not been taken off the Angus Ahead Website and the paper has taken the information from there.

With regard to anyone slating the Council, please be aware the Council do not put on Firework displays, they do not supply money for Christmas light switch ons nor for replacement lights, they do not put on Farmers Markets or any other market.
All these things are done by members of the community and they cost money and a great deal of time and effort by the individuals involved. Support is what is needed for these events and yes it means putting yer hand in yer sporran and giving a few bob but without that support you get diddly squat, which is precisely what has happened with the fireworks display."

Well said.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2412 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 05 Nov 2014 :  10:28:09 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Back in the "olden days" the council (especially when it was Arbroath Council) made large contributions towards Xmas lights, Fireworks Displays, Street Pageants sometimes it had been 100%.. However involvement of the community and local businesses was always sought.. As time has gone by... these contributions have become less and less as well as local Businesses and Community Panels becoming overburdened and withdrawing from such thankless tasks.. In the case of Xmas lights Angus Council said they would be willing to contribute if businesses and the community came up with proposals and most of the money to install them..
Basically any local community/charity panel can ask for a contribution from Angus Council.. At present, Arbroath virtually no longer have any such bodies as we did in the past that would volunteer for the tasks of organising and raising money for any such events.. (apologies to the few who do still exist)

Terrymac
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2412 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 05 Nov 2014 :  10:45:50 AM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
I also point to our neighbour Dundee Council who have continued to organise public events since the Councils reorganisation from the 1970's.... and they still work with and involve the community to get public displays.

example :
Annual Fireworks Displays and Bonfires organised by Dundee City Council's Environment Department.
Wednesday 5 November, 2014.

Terrymac
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1540 Posts
Last here:
Today
Posted - 05 Nov 2014 :  1:59:08 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
You only have to go as far as Carnoustie to see a well run community bonfire and fireworks display. The local coast guards lay on the bonfire and fireworks, with the help of the Carnoustie Gala Committee. There is a torchlight parade beforehand, with everyone able to purchase a torch for 3.50 a head and carry it in a procession down to the front, where the bonfire is lit. Practically the whole town turns up to watch or participate in the parade.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 05 Nov 2014 :  3:41:38 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Terrymac

I also point to our neighbour Dundee Council who have continued to organise public events since the Councils reorganisation from the 1970's.... and they still work with and involve the community to get public displays.

example :
Annual Fireworks Displays and Bonfires organised by Dundee City Council's Environment Department.
Wednesday 5 November, 2014.

Dundee council only have one city to cater for though, they used to have three displays throughout the city, down to two now, baxter park and lochee park.

If Angus council was to put on a display in every major population centre where would they stop? Arbrooath, forfar, montrose, brechin, kirrie, monifieth? that's a lot of displays and cost. Even if it wasjust a case of buying the fireworks then great, but there's staff overtime to prep the site, contractors, road closures, road cone hire, policing costs... it goes on and on.

I for one don't mind council tax payers money not being spent on fireworks, but i think it's a pity the cost of community events are so high these days.

Derek.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2412 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 05 Nov 2014 :  5:00:28 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derek

[quote]

I for one don't mind council tax payers money not being spent on fireworks, but i think it's a pity the cost of community events are so high these days.

Derek.

Back in the 60's we used to have an "Extravaganza" down at Vicky Park.. The council put some money up but the "Show" was run by a company that fenced off the whole area and you had to pay to get in.. Similar to the one organised by Mr Cargill and Colleagues (was it the Arbroath Spectacular).
Yesteryear was better but cutbacks continue as Councils get less and less funding and continue to hold council taxes down. Anyway Dundee is not to far away... so take advantage of all the public displays and facilities they advertise.. They want people to visit and contribute.

Terrymac
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 06 Nov 2014 :  10:37:40 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
I can just mind the days when every scheme in the town had its own bonfire on whatever waste ground or grassy bit was largest, before the authorities took a dim view of such unnoficcial things.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2412 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  5:27:41 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
I read in the "Herald" about the Arbroath Mum who decided that Arbroath should have a fireworks display.. She apparently had hundreds of "on-line" supporters that felt the same way.. A meeting was organised to see what the Arbroath community could do for next year and some Arbroath Councillors attended.. Unfortunately only a few supporters turned up and no meaningful discussion could be had.. Another "last chance" meeting has been arranged.. I wonder if more public support shall happen??

Terrymac
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2412 Posts
Last here:
27 Dec 2017
Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  10:21:49 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Arbroath Mum at forefront of forming a "group" such that Arbroath shall have a firework event in 2015..
In recent years, the fireworks evening was organised by Arbroath Events, which held a sign-off spectacular in 2013...
Councillor David Fairweather wished the new group well. He advised around 6,000 would be needed for a future event.

To read about it "online"..
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/angus-the-mearns/fuse-lit-on-arbroath-bid-to-bring-back-fireworks-1.705911

Great news for the Arbroath community...

Terrymac
Page: of 2Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.19 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *