Arbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connection

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Off Topic banter
 SIGN OF THE TIMES?  
Author Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Marcol
Senior Smokie

503 Posts
Last here:
16 Jun 2018
Posted - 02 Jan 2015 :  6:03:46 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
We watched the Hogmanay show and there was a I think one Scottish song and the only good thing was Ali Bain and Phil Cunningham. Do you remember the shows of the 60s when Andy Stewart, Will Starr, Robert Wilson, Jimmy Logan, Johnny Beattie, Ducan MacRae and Callum Kennedy starred. When folk watched one channel on Hogmanay and the other side the next afternoon and discussed which was best all the next week
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 03 Jan 2015 :  03:07:01 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
aye, way more channels to view, assuming you're a telly watcher. Don;t think i've watched hogmanaytv show since i was too young to drink! Either been out partying or working.

Derek.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1631 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 03 Jan 2015 :  8:36:08 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
The Hogmanay shows we are talking about stopped in the early 70s, only to be replaced by a succession of different formats, none of which ever came close to These earlier broadcasts. Itv even showed something which was supposedly set in an old folks' home with Eileen McCallum as the presenter! Bill Torrance and Chic Murray had a go one year from Dunblane Hydro, which again was a bit of a disaster, as it was live, and encountered several hiccups. I think we should hold a Shoppie members Hogmanay party next year, when we can all fo a party piece, MC'd by the Dicko Kid himself, Brian Dickson. Maybe Ive had one too many cuddle ma deeries........but then again, anything is possible!
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 04 Jan 2015 :  04:22:12 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
a big ol' skype party chat? ha ha
Marcol
Senior Smokie

503 Posts
Last here:
16 Jun 2018
Posted - 04 Jan 2015 :  4:45:42 PM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
That would be a night to remember.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1631 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 04 Jan 2015 :  10:25:43 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
I have heard on good authority that Brian is a great Scots entertainer, he put on a Burns Nicht for ex Braemar. Perhaps we could talk him into setting the ball rolling........"come in, come in, it's nice tae see ye, how's yersel' yer lookin' grand........oh I do get carried away at times, but it would be great if it happened!
S1dlaw
Wee Haggis

Arbroath, Scotland
2 Posts
Last here:
05 Jan 2015
Posted - 05 Jan 2015 :  08:30:58 AM Show ProfileSend S1dlaw a Private Message Reply with Quote
I am by no means a kilt and haggis devotee, however the Hogmanay fare ( for fare, read drivel), they now offer us is nothing short of disgraceful, I would love to see the Reverend I.M.Jolly strutting his stuff, or Rikki Fultons speed cop routines, the Rangers scout signing a catholic youngster was and continues to be one of. The funniest things I have ever seen, what about some Only an Excuse back episodes when it was actually funny?

Andy Stewart welcoming us in, massed fiddles, jings even some highland dancers, Alistair McDonald,

I would LOVE to see a couple of hours of that around the bells, Chick Murray, Duncan MacRae, the list is endless

S1d
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
329 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 05 Jan 2015 :  1:06:30 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Sadly S1dlaw, they're a' Deid, and great tho' they were, you probably wouldn't want to see MORE repeats on the prime midnight slot.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1631 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 08 Jul 2018 :  11:40:04 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Vandalism, assaults, theft, - papers are full of it. When is it going to end? Wh n will punishments fit the crimes? Just back from a short break up north,a and paid a visit to Peterhead prison, which is now a museum. First class attraction, and showing how prisoners were dealt with not so long ago. But, like everything else, the premises were deemed not fit for purpose, and a plush new prison has been built nearby. No more hammocks, concrete beds and tiny cells. Human rights must be observed...........in other words, mollycoddling.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1631 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 09 Aug 2018 :  09:26:43 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
The Courier today is the source of the latest story about the law being an ass! Woman gets a phone call to pick up a young family member from Dundee city centre eatery, where;the latter is being bullied by a gang of “children”. WHen the woman challenges their behaviour, she too is abused, followed to her car, where she and the car are spat on, and a milkshake thrown into the passenger seat. At this point, the woman loses her temper, and drives her car at the poor innocent little souls who are continuing to mock and abuse her. Result? She is up in court charged with injuring one if the “children”. How would YOU react? I’d say she was very brave to retaliate, as I would have been terrified in the same situation, but she really acted the same as any normal person would have done. I believe she had wanted to scare them, or perhaps they were blocking her exit. Whatever the reason, she’s had a raw deal, and the real offenders are smiling smugly at her. Rant over!
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1631 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 20 Aug 2018 :  4:42:34 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Again I refer to the Courier today, in which I read what has been voted The funniest Joke at the Festival. What????? It isn’t funny in the slightest. Here it is:Working at the Job.Centre has to be a tense job, knowing that if you’re fired, you still have to come in next day. If this is what passes for comedy these days, you can keep it. That guy would never have passed an audition for The Comedians on TV, and some of them were bad, but this is sinking to an all time low.
Page: of 2 Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.39 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *